New RX1 III

Love the mark ii, but there are certainly things a mark iii could add...
Weather sealing is the first thing. Don't need more megapixels because i love the low light performance of the mark ii! When i dream it's the same sensor but curved, for a smaller lens or faster lens. Would also love if Zeiss would make tele and wide converters! And if the autofocus was even faster! Ah, and a better battery!

All the best

Love the mark ii, but there are certainly things a mark iii could add...
Weather sealing is the first thing. Don't need more megapixels because i love the low light performance of the mark ii! When i dream it's the same sensor but curved, for a smaller lens or faster lens. Would also love if Zeiss would make tele and wide converters! And if the autofocus was even faster! Ah, and a better battery!

All the best

Also get rid of the focus by wire and add real manual focus capabilities with a distance scale. That and a bigger battery are all I want. For now, the mark ii will do just fine. I love the lens though so I'm not sure I want that touched.

... In my fantasies I dream of an RX1Riii which is basically an X100F with the 35/2 Sonnar and the Sony sensor. And that's it, really.

Make it a 50mm F2...and it is my dream too!

That dream camera, for me, is the Leica CL fitted with my 1972 Leica Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2. It's not trousers pocketable, but I've not found cameras that size to be all that delightful other than for an occasional shot. The CL with the old Summilux is "just big enough" to be easy to hold and shoot with all day while also being small and light enough to carry all day without it getting in the way. It does fit into a reasonable size jacket pocket or a small belt bag.

The CL with this lens fitted to it is, in a way, the reincarnation of the Leica Barnack to me in a modern, digital camera. I has two Barnacks in the past and used to carry them all the time in much the same way as I do this setup. :)

G

The A7C with a compact prime would be a very nice street cam. One of the first E mount lenses was the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8. Another could be the Tamron 24/2.8 or 35/2.8, or the Sony 28/2.

I wanted to love the a7c, but I just don’t. A very underwhelming release in 2020. However, at least it’s a step in the right direction.

I wanted to love the a7c, but I just don’t. A very underwhelming release in 2020. However, at least it’s a step in the right direction.

I like the size, and the autofocus tracking capabilities look impressive. But I am a glasses-wearer, and the initial reports on the small viewfinder are discouraging. I don’t miss a viewfinder on my Ricoh GR, but with my Sony A7SII, almost always shoot with the viewfinder (in part, because I still use manual focus a lot.) I am still interested in a second Sony body, but may stick to my original plan to wait for used prices on the A7III to come down.

I think it's OK when the price lowers in the near future. Weight and size are good, with the beefy NP-FZ100 battery to boot.

Definitely not a RX1 III though.

I think it's OK when the price lowers in the near future. Weight and size are good, with the beefy NP-FZ100 battery to boot.

Definitely not a RX1 III though.

Definitely. Not even sure how it wormed its way into the conversation here. It’s chalk and cheese different.

Full frame in a small body at a good price. I think it looks amazing. If it was 6 years ago and I was looking for a replacement for my A7 then this would be amazing.

I think if you are looking for a small travel camera but very well spec'd then this is it, if you are after the very best specs then this is not it.

As a second sony body for professionals who use the newest A series this would also be great.

I would imagine it will have an updated sensor with more resolution, dynamic range, and higher ISO capabilities... since the the sensor in the current GR is 5 years old or more.

Also, probably better low light AF since this is also something that all cameras have gained in the past 5 years.

Outside of that, hopefully not much...

Perhaps a bit thinner.....

B2 (;->

Yes, A7c is potentially interesting if you want/need full-frame. Perhaps for your stable of lenses.

But, I have to ask, for light weight, high performance, compactness, why not stay with the A6xxx series. My A6500 and even A6000 serve me very well.

What really is the driver for FF?

Yes, A7c is potentially interesting if you want/need full-frame. Perhaps for your stable of lenses.

But, I have to ask, for light weight, high performance, compactness, why not stay with the A6xxx series. My A6500 and even A6000 serve me very well.

What really is the driver for FF?

I totally agree with this. For a small FF camera, a fixed lens camera like the Rx1 or Q series work best. It might be feasible to make a small FF mirrorless
interchangeable like the a7c but then the lens question comes into play. FF lenses are still FF, which means they can be big. This is what Sony struggled with at first. A FF lens can make a compact camera huge. Sure there are small lenses but they often have a lot of compromises. These compromises are usually limited with fixed lens cameras because they have a lot of wiggle room to adjust the optics and sensor placement for a fixed lens camera, something that certainly can't be done with an interchangeable lens camera.

I am not sure how the a7c got into the conversation here because it is not close to being an Rx1rii upgrade. It comes off as more of a vlogging camera to me with no custom buttons, a large recording button, and flip out screen.

I am not sure how the a7c got into the conversation here because it is not close to being an Rx1rii upgrade. It comes off as more of a vlogging camera to me with no custom buttons, a large recording button, and flip out screen.

Well, rf shaped cameras are few and far between so we tend to discuss them all together. It could work for some here. Of course we don’t really think it replaces the R1XR II...

Well, rf shaped cameras are few and far between so we tend to discuss them all together. It could work for some here. Of course we don’t really think it replaces the R1XR II...

Fair enough but this thread is literally titled "New RX1 III" so I inferred it was being recommended as an upgrade.

Back