[New test photos released] Leica Summicron 35/2 Eight Element copy made in China

KEVIN-XU 愛 forever

所謂的攝影,就&
Local time
8:57 AM
Hey guys,

A week ago, one of our forum member harryjiang created a thread sharing the exciting Leica copy project, which is the Leica first version 35mm f2 replica. Personally, I am very excited when I heard this news because I love classic Leica lenses. I have three Summicron 35mm f2 V1 in my collection. So I really want to compare the replica with my original Leica Summicron. Then I get in touch with the people who started this project. Unfortunately, I cannot get my hands on the prototype of the Summicron 35/2 replica since I am not living in China right now. But he is very kind to share some information about the project with me and send me some test shots taken with this lens. He wants me to share these photos on RFF and to seek some real opinion here. Please feel free to comment.

Here are the pictures taken with Leica monochrome + the Summicron 35/2 replica prototype at f/2 wide open.

I've been told that all the test photos were just slightly adjusted on Lightroom.

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype made in China by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Leica Summicron 35mm f2 Eight Element Replica Prototype made in China by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Enjoy the photos. And we are looking forward to your opinions.

Best regards,
Kevin

The first batch 8-element Replica:

Use flint lead-glass like the original one (Note: Supply will be limit since flint lead-glass is hard to find now even in China)
Two types of single coating like the original one (Multi-coated as special request with extra cost, + $100 )
The lens body is crafted in brass
Each lens will include brass made front and rear lens caps. The lens will also be stored in an aluminum alloy container (All metal, no plastic will be used in this project.)
Three paint options: Black Paint / Chrome / Brass
Free engraving service for each lens(Numbers/Alphabet, 8/9 spaces)
Retail price will be $499 + shipping (There will be an extra cost if you have a special request that requires extra labor cost. Please understand.)

NOTE:
The buyer will need to fill out an official purchase form (include all the necessary information, lens options, custom engraving, etc.) when the lens is available for purchase
The maker cannot reserve any specific serial number for you, as this is hard for them to manage.
LTM version will be released approximately three months later. It will also come with an LTM-M adapter. (The closest focus of the LTM version will be 1 meter, as the original one.)
The replica lens hood will be sold separately. Asking for around $20/each.
The replica viewfinder will be sold separately. Not sure of the cost yet.
There will be two paint options for the viewfinder and lens hood, original or black paint.

*My PM box is 100% full now... In case I missed any of your messages, please send it to the following email address:

Email:
[email protected]

Kevin

Leica 8-element Replica Engraving Example by Kevin-Xu, on Flickr

Those look fine. Not sure I care for the look of the lens on the camera though. It would be nice to see some shots at f2 too. I don't shoot a digital camera, nor shoot anything below a 50 lens, so take that into consideration, but why is everything so in focus if the pics were shot at f2.4 according to the flickr info? Where's the bokeh?

I kind of like the look of that lens. I own a v1 35mm Summicron and this looks just like it...liking the look of the picture samples too, even if there's only so much one can tell from downsized JPEGs on a website.

It IS China...they're all smoking! :D

I kind of like the look of that lens. I own a v1 35mm Summicron and this looks just like it...liking the look of the picture samples too, even if there's only so much one can tell from downsized JPEGs on a website.

It IS China...they're all smoking! :D

You could click on the photos to see the larger detail on Flickr. Ignore me if you already did. : )

Glad you like the samples.

Looks pretty cool. What would be the price point with this lens? Any shots on film too?

I will let him know the request. Will add more pictures to this thread when I have them.

So far no specific price point for this lens. He told me he want to make it affordable for most of the people. But the production will be limit. By the way, he put tons of effort on the glass and coating that been used on this replica.

The shots are made with the lens wide open, you can see that from the bokeh. Maybe f/2.4 is the "T" (true) opening.

The shots are technically very good in my opinion. How much is this lens? I want one, I love this prototype.

Erik.

The shots are made with the lens wide open, you can see that from the bokeh. Maybe f/2.4 is the "T" (true) opening.

The shots are technically very good in my opinion. How much is this lens? I want one, I love this prototype.

Erik.

Thank you Erik! Will let you guys know when he decide to release the price.

These look great, and I love the look of the lens on the camera! I would be very interested in buying one too.

If there are some film photos taken with it, please share.

As mentioned in the other thread, having it available in LTM mount would entice even more buyers.

I’ve already told him that many people wanting the LTM version. He heard you guys’ voice and said it is possible. But may take time to make this happen though. He is very busy working on this project now.

Erik.

last time it was mentioned to be around US$500,00
not sure about the actual price when released.

Black paint not too glossy and a bit thin so it brasses out fast yes please. I think it may be challenging to keep it a limited run, what with LTM and a few different finishes. I'm very interested in this replicated glass. What is next? Noctilux 1.2? 1.0? Probable?

Back