New ZM lens in 2013

Hoping it's cheaper than the new 55/1.4 for DSLRs they just put out.

And just a tad smaller than this mamooth would be good too.
I wonder when people will say "enough of this quality thing already, we want to be able to haul the camera without the help of sherpas"

A 35/1.4 with a 46mm thread (to share filters with my c-sonnar) would make me at least intrigued.

35/1.4 would be great, but aren't their other 35's pretty legendary? Another stop would be nice, definitely. Doesn't seem like sound business though.

a good 35/1.4 in a size a it bigger than the 35/1.4 nokton would be nice. in chrome. with a square hood. the zeiss planalux.

35/1.4 would be great, but aren't their other 35's pretty legendary? Another stop would be nice, definitely. Doesn't seem like sound business though.

Their Planar lenses are also legendary but they make a Distagon normal 55 mm now for FF DSLR.

So lets assume they break some rules and make a 1.4/35 Distagon with M mount.
Twelve lenses instead of 8 or 9?
Give up the zero distortion for the sake of resolution?

Just an idea...

More distortion, no thanks. I would prefer excellent overall, but a bigger lens. Wamt a small light 35mm f1.4, get the VC one. You will also get the distortion you want, job done. Leave
zeiss to produce an excellent lens instead.

well their argument for the 1.4/55 Distagon is that with the high pixel count of top cameras today, you have to break with traditions.

This is the first fast "normal" lens that is not a double Gauss type from Zeiss in 120 years. Nearly the first on the market, except maybe the other one which is the 50 Summicron ASPH.

Leica markets the cron ASPH in connection with the high resolution of the M Mono.

I don't think they will come up with a Biogon. Erwin Puts said (I can't check if that is reasonable) that the Biogon construction is at the limit with the 2.0/35 concerning speed.

Well, we will see. Maybe some of those who said "wow that will be my new 35" should wait for the price to be announced

I would like to see Zeiss create some lenses in the philosophy of the pre-ashp Leica lenses with a stress on compactness, zero distortion, uniform filter size of 39mm and high center sharpness wide open. That combined with high flare resistance would really make an attractive package for me. I would readily accept to give up some corner sharpness for that, because I think that it is of little practical consequence. At least for me it is very rare to have a need for corner to corner sharpness when shooting wide open.

I use a ZM Planar for about a year now. While I think it gives tremendous bang for the buck image quality wise, recently the ergonomics of my lenses have become more and more important to me, maybe more important than the last inch of image quality. I prefer smaller lenses that handle well. The Planar is too big for my taste, I don't like the 43mm filter size and the 1/3 stop aperture stops are just irritating and overkill in my eyes. I tend to always set the lens to full f-stops to circumnavigate that irritation :) Admittedly, the filter size and the aperture stop thing are probably less irritating when you have a complete setup of ZM lenses only and get used to it. I do like the focus feel of the ZM, I think it is about just right

I would like to see Zeiss create some lenses in the philosophy of the pre-ashp Leica lenses with a stress on compactness, zero distortion, uniform filter size of 39mm and high center sharpness wide open. That combined with high flare resistance would really make an attractive package for me. I would readily accept to give up some corner sharpness for that, because I think that it is of little practical consequence. At least for me it is very rare to have a need for corner to corner sharpness when shooting wide open.

I use a ZM Planar for about a year now. While I think it gives tremendous bang for the buck image quality wise, recently the ergonomics of my lenses have become more and more important to me, maybe more important than the last inch of image quality. I prefer smaller lenses that handle well. The Planar is too big for my taste, I don't like the 43mm filter size and the 1/3 stop aperture stops are just irritating and overkill in my eyes. I tend to always set the lens to full f-stops to circumnavigate that irritation :) Admittedly, the filter size and the aperture stop thing are probably less irritating when you have a complete setup of ZM lenses only and get used to it. I do like the focus feel of the ZM, I think it is about just right

If you want smaller and soft corners you could try the C-Sonnar. 46mm filter, just to be different from the others. A lovely lens, but very 'characterful'

Mike

Back