Nex 7 vs Nex 6

AlwaysOnAuto

Well-known
Local time
5:02 AM
Other than there being a whole lot more megapixels in a 7 vs a 6, what other advantages/disadvantages are there?
I'm asking in terms of using only old legacy lenses on the camera.
Will I be happier with more megapixels to work with or will less be OK?
I'd love an A7 but that is beyond my pocketbook range.
What say the collective here?
TIA.

Nex 6 sensor is slightly better for wide angle legacy lens then Nex 7.
I use to had them both, now I am with a6000 that has in terms of sensor the best one.

If I were to get one of those three today, I would definitely get the A6000. A quick check of prices on Amazon: Nex7 ($930); NEX6 ($480); A6000 ($598). Compared to the NEX7, the A6000 has just as meany megapixels and beats the NEX7 in everything else. The only advantages of the NEX7 are: external mic, takes 3D photos and is just a little smaller than the A6000. Wrt to the NEX6, the only disadvantage of the A6000 is a slightly higher price ($118 difference), but if you are considering the NEX7, then the A6000 is well within your budget.

The only advantages of the NEX7 are: external mic, takes 3D photos and is just a little smaller than the A6000.

No, there is another advantage - the two control wheels on the top. I own the NEX7 nuy there is till no way I'd get the NEX7 today. A6000 is the way to go. Just wish they had kept the two control wheels.

If I were to get one of those three today, I would definitely get the A6000. A quick check of prices on Amazon: Nex7 ($930); NEX6 ($480); A6000 ($598). Compared to the NEX7, the A6000 has just as meany megapixels and beats the NEX7 in everything else. The only advantages of the NEX7 are: external mic, takes 3D photos and is just a little smaller than the A6000. Wrt to the NEX6, the only disadvantage of the A6000 is a slightly higher price ($118 difference), but if you are considering the NEX7, then the A6000 is well within your budget.

Of the three, I would also go w/ the a6000..for Improved af focus. But just to be fair though, the evf on the Nex 6 has the better spec. Whether u notice the difference is a different issue.. Plus the a6000 has the alpha family menu system not the Nex one that I always hated.

Gary

Well thanks for the input.
I just ordered a used NEX 7 body, plus two adapters so I could use my old lenses on it. All in shipped for under $600, so I'm happy. We'll see how the shooting goes in a few days.
One of the reasons I went with the Nex 7 is the view finder.
Really looking forward to getting it now.
I don't anticipate using the AF on it as I won't have any Sony lenses to use on it.
This purchase was all about getting digital images using old glass.

I don't understand, could you explain what 'bout the EVF of the Nex 7 is different from the Nex 6 or A6000 that made you decide on the Nex 7?

No tease here.
NEX 7 and 6 EVF are the same, a6000 is smaller/less dots per what I've read.
NEX 7 is a larger camera and since I found it hard(er) to hold my neighbors Nex5n when I borrowed it, I figured bigger was better in this case.

By less dots are u talking about mega pixels? The nex7 is 24mp same as the a6000. The nex6 is 16mp.

Gary

In general the Nex-6 is best of three for MF glass, however, Nex-7 plus zeiss touit is in another class altogether.

this one especially:
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

With Nex-7, and including the A7x with any available 18mm-ish, nothing can touch that lens UWA.

Sony's Achilles is the hubris to pile on thick sensor covers for irrelevant features, so that they make SA in many wide lenses. Originally there was no great UWA for the Nex-7, and it was speculated that the sensor made it unlikely to happen---then came the ZE12/2.8 :)

However it was not enough to keep their owners from following the full frame siren. Now many have an A7x and the same issue is a hot topic.

For great wide on A7r it's either huge heavy SLR zeiss, or the WATE.

Zeiss will have a MF E UWA 18 in the spring for the A7, which we hope will be like the very nice 12/2.8 touit.

For the sony aps-c my normal became a 28mm, which is near ideal 1.5x :) I don't know what the best 28 is for the nex-7, which is so so picky with lenses wider than 35mm. But if I owned a nex-7, I'd find out :)

The Nex-5 loved the 28 cron, but not the Nex-7

By less dots are u talking about mega pixels? The nex7 is 24mp same as the a6000. The nex6 is 16mp.

Gary

The A6000 has a lower resolution viewfinder - 1.4M vs 2.3M dot matrix (I think from memory). When I looked at it, yes it was noticeable (barely) but the gain is the responsiveness of the refresh rate.

After much consideration, I bought the Nex-6 a few months ago. All of the adapted advantages of the 5n. Bigger body and inbuilt finder like the 7. Better finder than the a6000. To top it off, I think it was ~$360 from KEH. Done deal.

I went with the a6000 because of the menu improvement. The evf resolution was a worry but it's been a non issue so far.

Other than there being a whole lot more megapixels in a 7 vs a 6, what other advantages/disadvantages are there?
TIA.

NEX-7 feels like a higher end model. I liked it better.

The A6000 has a lower resolution viewfinder - 1.4M vs 2.3M dot matrix (I think from memory). When I looked at it, yes it was noticeable (barely) but the gain is the responsiveness of the refresh rate.

Yeh.. I noted that on a prior post above the one u mentioned. That is why I concentrated on the mp question.

Gary

NEX-7 feels like a higher end model. I liked it better.

He mentioned legacy lenses.. The Nex 6 is actually better of the two if they are rf wide angles. I don't know how the a6000 stacks up now that I think about it. Maybe about same as nex7?

Gary

TIA.

If legacy lenses and mf are your thing, then of the 3 cameras I would get the Nex 6. I don't think more megapixels with some of the older lenses will make you any happier than the 16mp of the 6. 16mp is plenty. I think with some of the Leica lenses the Nex 7 has some corner issues that aren't there with the Nex 6.

Anyway I'm very happy with my Nex 6 either for af or mf. I use my old Nikon glass with a cheap adapter and get great results. If you are at all interested if af at some point then I would get the A6000, which offers greatly improved af over the 6 and the 7.

Honestly though you can't go wrong with any of these 3 cameras, they are all pretty terrific.

Funny, people buy the Nex 6/7 because of the higher resolution viewfinder - however, at least one review (imaging resource) claims that "comparing the two side-by-side, the A6000's EVF is the clear winner as it produces much more accurate colors and easy to discern details."

I really appreciate all the discussion here. I find that if I'm not comfortable holding a camera, I won't use it. When I borrowed my neighbors Nex5n I found it very hard to hold it was soooo small. I had the same feeling when I got my M3 back from CLA (I hadn't used it before then) and it was put away. Then I found a grip for it and it's back 'in' the mix again, except for the film thing. Hopefully this new old Nex7 will get me shooting again and with my old lenses. The experience I had with the 5n told me the lenses are 'where it's at' as far as the look of the image goes. Being as the Nex7 is larger I'm sure I'll be able to adapt to it and any idiosyncrasies it may have. Heck, my first digital was a 995 so I know I can adapt if given the chance.

Back