Nex 7 vs Nex 6

Funny, people buy the Nex 6/7 because of the higher resolution viewfinder - however, at least one review (imaging resource) claims that "comparing the two side-by-side, the A6000's EVF is the clear winner as it produces much more accurate colors and easy to discern details."
It all depends on what you want from a viewfinder. Comparing the finders of the 6 and 6000, I find the one on the 6 easier on the eye; the size and magnification feel more generous than that of the 6000..

I went for the Nex 6. Perfectly happy withe the viewfinder which is a dream after an ltm Leica. Nice with 21mm CV f4

With big lenses (Leica R), you'd think it would be awkward but in reality you end up holding the lens and not the camera, (21 SA R particularly works well as does 60 2.8 Macro).

Whatever, it works for me and won't break the bank.

The numbers agree with your experience that size and magnification of the 6 are more generous. I guess which is best for you is personal.

@AlwaysOnAuto: have fun with you're Nex 7, I'm sure you will!

Was looking thru some of the old threads here on rff and found this one I'd started a long time ago, or so it seems.
Just as an update to it, I've had a lot of fun using my Nex-7. I've recently gotten an A7ii and now have a native lens that works on it and the Nex-7. With the addition of a TAP adapter my legacy glass is now auto focusing too.
I'm in hog heaven as this is what shooting with old legacy glass is all about now that the focus doesn't rely on MY old eyes.
I just want to say I'm having a lot of fun with my cameras now and it's fun being a part of RFF too.
Happy Holidays to all!

I have been using the NEX 7 with old glass lately too. I cannot make a direct comparison to the NEX 6 as I do not have it but I can confirm the NEX 7 is excellent. Actually I have a couple of NEX cameras including the older and cheaper consumer grade NEX F3 (with add on EVF) which as it happens is better than either in one respect - it has only 16 megapixels which gives it better dynamic range than the later NEX 7 which carries 24 megapixels. But the 7 handles better. For example I use my lenses wide open more often than not, so in focusing I use focus peeking to get approximate focus then almost always push the button on the camera to enlarge the image to view it in detail for critical focus. The NEX button is at the top of the back of the camera body while the one on the F3 is at the bottom of the back. The NEX 7 button can be operated with the thumb without removing the camera from the eye but this is difficult with the other camera making it a bit slower to use. But if the subject is static or nearly so that is not such a problem.

In my case I use either Pentax screw mount (Takumar) lenses of which I have many - years back I collected them and although I have sold some I still enjoy using those that remain. I also have quite a few Nikkors (pre AI, AI and AIS) which I use regularly too. And of course I own some Leica M glass. All work wonderfully well but while perhaps not technically so sharp across the field, the Takumar lenses render beautifully). Having said this mounted on my NEX 7 at this moment is an old 28-45mm f4.5 Nikkor wide zoom - the first they ever made and I am having great fun with it. (Higher ISOs of modern cameras remove much of the limitations suffered by older slower glass).

I will say this. I am tempted by the full frame versions of the 7 and no doubt will eventually get one. If someone comes out with a good AF adapter for Nikkor AF glass that will seal the deal for me. On a related note I did have the chance to handle an NEX 6200 recently and found it too was built like a tank. So even the later sub full frame NEX cameras are being taken seriously by Sony.

However in practice going forward I suspect I will still keep my Nikon bodies too - mainly because they work best with my native Nikkors. The smaller Sony bodies are however great for traveling when carrying a big full frame camera and lenses is a chore.

Peter - I suggest you find someone nearby that has an A7ii with a TAP adapter. It turns all your manual lenses into AF lenses. It works amazingly well with Leica M mount and LTM adapted via Leica LTM - M adapters. I'm waiting on adapters for my Nikkor and Minolta lenses, but I suspect they will work just as well.
I'm in hog heaven now as all my lenses will be AF and image stabilized too.

Peter - I suggest you find someone nearby that has an A7ii with a TAP adapter. It turns all your manual lenses into AF lenses. It works amazingly well with Leica M mount and LTM adapted via Leica LTM - M adapters. I'm waiting on adapters for my Nikkor and Minolta lenses, but I suspect they will work just as well.
I'm in hog heaven now as all my lenses will be AF and image stabilized too.

Thanks for this. Is TAP Tech Art Pro? Also I wonder how well they might work with say M2 Lenses.

For example with ordinary adapters (i.e. non AF) I sometimes stack adapters. I have an M42 to Leica screw mount adapter which, when added to a Leica screw mount to Leica M adapter, then a Leica M mount to NEX adapter (3 adapters, phew!) allows me to mount my M42 lenses on my NEX bodies. I do this because although I have a direct M42 to NEX adapter its pretty bulky and the above arrangement is, surprisingly, a bit smaller.

It strikes me I could adapt an M42 to the Tech Art Pro AF adapter in a similar manner. I mainly use Takumar lenses which are pretty small so providing the TAP adapter has the grunt to push SLR lenses it might work. Any thoughts? I note that Tech Art claim to be able to do this kind of thing but would appreciate any first hand impressions.

I've only used a Leica LTM to M mount adapter on my TAP to allow mounting of my Nikkor 50 LTM lens. It works a treat. I'm sure the TAP can handle just about any adapters/lens combos you could come up with. I haven't tried my old Wollanesak 127mm tele which is LTM, but I'm pretty sure it could work too. This really is a boon for me as this is what I wanted to be able to do with these old lenses ever since I dug them out of the closet when I retired.
The TAP isn't moving the lens very far, so it doesn't have to be all that powerful. Remember, the TAP is M mount so you only have to get to M when adapting to it.

Back