NHS Members - Why the lack of interest for NHS CON 17 2022 ??

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
7:50 PM
For the first time ever, the Nikon Historical Society Convention was cancelled due to lack of interest --
with almost no reservations made for our meeting in Lyon France scheduled for September 2022.

Personally I was planning to attend until COVID arrived.

The unknowns of COVID travel made me more than a bit nervous.

But that's me. Why did other NHS members decide not to attend?

COVID concern is the obvious culprit. Were there other major factors?

This really has Bob Rotoloni wondering what is going on.

Stephen

I think the COVID killed everything, most members are seniors, with some risk factors and if test positive, will be unable to return to USA and have to stay in designated hotel until negative. The increased oil price will make travel more expensive. The analog camera collecting or nay camera collecting is killed by cell phone. Most likely after this generation, there will be no more LHSA or NHS.

I think it's a mix of COVID worries and the cost/problems with travel right now. But I totally disagree with the idea that camera collecting is being killed by cell phones. As a young(ish) person, I see a lot of other young people oogling over vintage rangefinders. They just don't come to this board because it's kind of old fashioned. Instead they're on instagram and discord having the same discussions that we were having here 15 years ago. I think these types of collectors' associations will continue, but only with younger leadership that is more flexible with having meetings over zoom, managing social media accounts, things like that. Looking at the webpage for Nikon Kenkyukai Tokyo, it seems like they're in similar circumstances. Even before COVID, everyone was getting older and they stopped meeting all the time. But there is still a strong interest in the younger community, especially in the last five or six years.

Instead they're on instagram and discord having the same discussions that we were having here 15 years ago.

Are there really these groups on Discord? Are they easy to get an invite to? I have never used discord, but totally would if it is easy to find like minded people into photobooks, cameras, photography in general. I have always been interested in discord.

That's a real shame to hear the Lyonnaise NHS 2022 convention has been cancelled. I thought there might have been pent up enthusiasm after the last one was cancelled at the height of covid.

I agree that COVID played a huge roll. I also think that the LHSA and NHS need to plan events with less barriers for young people who may not have the cash or ability to take time off from work.

There are vibrant and active Beers/Coffees and Cameras meetings in many U.S. cities that are largely attending by folks younger than 35. The energy is there but I just don't think the NHS or LHSA or similar have been able to capture that energy in the way that The Darkroom has, or any number of film centric podcasts and Youtube channels. Just my 0.02.

I also think that interest in Nikon rangefinders is declining, as sad as this may sound. The prices for Nikon rangefinder stuff are lower than ever and even on the Rangefinder Forum there is little to do in the field of Nikon rangefinders. This week I've read something from Jonmanjiro about Nikon Rangefinders, but that was about it in a very long time. However, I still read Bob's books and the early cameras are of great interest to me.

Erik.

For me, a long time NHS member and still active user/collector, it was a combination of uncertainty in the Covid situation health wise and travel wise (France could close at a moment's notice). Basically: it was not worth it to me taking a chance health-wise to attend. Having put on a NHS Convention, I know well all that must be done to ensure a successful one, and that starts with having a reasonable commitment of attendance...and the possibility and effects of another COVID outbreak cannot be underestimated and weigh on many travel decisions to make that commitment.

I also think that interest in Nikon rangefinders is declining, as sad as this may sound. The prices for Nikon rangefinder stuff are lower than ever and even on the Rangefinder Forum there is little to do in the field of Nikon rangefinders. This week I've read something from Jonmanjiro about Nikon Rangefinders, but that was about it in a very long time. However, I still read Bob's books and the early cameras are of great interest to me.

Erik.

Absolutely. These represent a niche (Nikon rangefinders) in a niche (rangefinders) in a niche (film photography), filled by a lot of elderly people. If someone bought a Nikon back in 1960 in their 20s, he`d be 80+ now.

Perhaps film photography is on the decline. Not just Nikon rangefinders but all film rangefinders. All film cameras. Sad but true?

What is a film resurgence?

All the best,
Mike

Perhaps film photography is on the decline. Not just Nikon rangefinders but all film rangefinders. All film cameras. Sad but true?

What is a film resurgence?

All the best,
Mike

Well, there is a niche resurgence. Film camera prices reflect this. Well, at least for some brands and cameras. Nikon rangefinders are simply not as desirable as Leica M mount cameras right now. Photography as a whole seems to be in a bit of decline. Seems the masses like video more!

I find it hard to swallow this whole "film photography is on the decline . . . all film rangefinders" when the prices of used Leica M bodies is stupidly high. Cameras that you could pick up 5 years ago for under $1000 are going for double that amount now, or even more. Maybe someone is just trying to buy them all up and not use them, but I would think if you are spending thousands on a film rangefinder, you'd be wanting to actually make images with it.

Best,
-Tim

PS: As far as the declining interest in NHS and LHSA, I think that might be an age thing. Those historic societies seem to attract older members, and unfortunately, many are dying off.

but I would think if you are spending thousands on a film rangefinder, you'd be wanting to actually make images with it.

Best,
-Tim

PS: As far as the declining interest in NHS and LHSA, I think that might be an age thing. Those historic societies seem to attract older members, and unfortunately, many are dying off.

I think people are using the cameras for photography more than collecting maybe. But honestly, I think young people just have their own way of meeting and discussing. Times change but great cameras do not.

In my mid size city used to be camera show every year, I enjoyed to attend, however, about 15+ year ago, they were unable to hold the show due to diminished interesting. The youngsters who play analog cameras are minority of minority. sadly LHSA/NSH generation is going, and gone.

roy1.jpg

Erik.

Prices on some collectible items like 10.5cm f4 and Nikon S4 and S3 2000 have fallen to new lows, yes. But meanwhile, the prices on regular S2 and SP bodies, and hot lenses like the 3.5cm f1.8, have climbed in the last five years. I think the low for film photography was 2010-2015, and now things are picking up again, so fear not! There will still be people into this stuff in the future.

Non NHS member here: As I don't wish to share my personal data with Facebook, this is about the only place online where I can see NHS-related news, and nothing about this meeting was posted here.

Airfare from my area to Lyon doesn't look too bad, but if I'm going to travel halfway around the world, I'd like to do a lot more than hang around an international hotel eating catered food: I wonder whether I'd be too restless to sit through more than a couple of presentations before heading outside to explore the town, assuming that much hasn't gone out of business or reduced services.

Declining prices of Nikon RF and F cameras has an upside: It made the things more accessible to me.

I have tried to make most of the NHS meetings, but Covid and cost were the deciding factors in deciding not to go. It also seems like so many of the people we met and enjoyed sharing time with at the meetings I have attended are either no longer with us, or no longer active. sad.

Back