Nikkor LTM Nikkor HC 50mm F2... Wow, I am impressed

Nikkor M39 screw mount lenses
Leica M2. LTM Nikkor-H-C 5cm F/2

48007114923_e4df11bb14_b.jpg

I really love this lens, very compact, beautifully made in quality, quite sharp as Sonnar type lens, 46cm (1.5 ft) minimum close focus. Very impressed!!

Just received 3 days ago. New to me, old for someone.

48005830076_e31240938c_c.jpg

Wonderful images guys!
This is seriously a nice lens to have for any occasion. A friend of mine traveled recently and used someone's Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM. Keeps trying to tempt me for the extra step but I'm fighting the urge since its nearly exactly the same lens. Same focus distance and everything haha. I am quite happy only having the f2 version. If i ever have money to spare, i might try the f1.4 lol

On a side note...

Does anyone know how these lenses were marketed and used back in the 50's when they were produced? Since most cameras of the day only had focusing capabilities of 1 meter, how did they use it for close focusing? Was there an accessory for it? Or did the photographer just have to stop down the lens and measure the distance to get the correct focus?

On a side note...

Does anyone know how these lenses were marketed and used back in the 50's when they were produced? Since most cameras of the day only had focusing capabilities of 1 meter, how did they use it for close focusing? Was there an accessory for it? Or did the photographer just have to stop down the lens and measure the distance to get the correct focus?

Most of the 5cm LTM Nikkor lenses came on the Nicca and the Sears Nicca made Tower 35mm precision cameras. I have Nicca/Tower cameras that came with the f2 or f1.4 Nikkor lenses . Sears in their mid 1950s catalogue sold the LTM f2 Nikkor lens alone for $135 and its faster f1.4 cousin for $189.50. (not cheap to buy)

They also sold other LTM Nikkor lenses in the range of 35mm to 135mm

By that mid 1950s timeframe they also sold Canon LTM lenses from 25mm to 135mm.

Copystands were also sold by catalogue stores and camera shops for Leica and Leica copies and many came with tape measures. Many Japanese made versions or copies of the Leica NOOKY device for different 50mm LTM lenses were also made for close focus .

I see.
So it was pretty much a trail and error process with a tape measure, to try to focus these Nikkor lenses down in their close focus range.

I see.
So it was pretty much a trail and error process with a tape measure, to try to focus these Nikkor lenses down in their close focus range.

That is how it was done if you did not have an SLR camera (like Exakta Edixa Praktica etc), which were not as common or popular as RF cameras in the 1950s: place camera on copy stand, good lighting, cable release, and measure from the camera film plane mark to the object photographed, adjust lens focus, determine exposure, make exposure.

It worked out better than most people imagine these days. Other brands of 50mm lenses might need a close focus device or extension tubes to get as close as those LTM 5cm Nikkors .

Yes it's astonishing how usable these lenses are nowadays with a digital camera with Live View. It is a joy to use on my A7II. They are truly a hidden inexpensive gem in rangefinder lenses.

Yes it's astonishing how usable these lenses are nowadays with a digital camera with Live View. It is a joy to use on my A7II. They are truly a hidden inexpensive gem in rangefinder lenses.

Combined with a Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus adapter (or similar), you can get even more close focusability adapting to digital. Here's an example with an APS-C digicam.

Sony NEX-5T, Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2, Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter, processed with VSCOcam using the HB1 filter.

Aloe flower
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back