Nikon Action Touch Test

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
12:11 PM
With a sealed body, and 1:2.8 35mm lens, this underwater Point and Shoot by Nikon looks to be a versatile camera. It is auto focus above water and manual focus underwater. Test was done with Kodak BW400CN.

Nikon Action Touch Underwater Camera by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Dawn on a stormy winter day.

First Light by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I was so happy to capture the first rainbow of the year until I remembered there was B&W film in the camera.

Monochrome Rainbow by P F McFarland, on Flickr

This was a nice place for a quiet afternoon snack, or to buy a gift. But now they are moving the business to an in town location. Former Cloyd House, circa 1783.

White Oak Tea Tavern by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Cows and calves munching on feed spread out by the farmer.

Chow Line by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Still standing after all these years.

Weathered by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See more photos with narrative at https://flic.kr/s/aHskTjM6WU

PF

Fantastic "New Age Nikonos", Summer is still a long way but I really enjoy having an Underwater 35mm to shoot around the beach. The Action Touch/AW AF seems a very nice camera for that use, except they are rare in my part of Europe and not cheap. May I envy those Goodwill stores with heaps of cameras.... :D

Really like the last shot of the house, with the tonality gradients of the grass.

I think that I remember reading somewhere that the lens of the this camera is the same design as the Nikon 35 RF lens. Anyone know about this?

The Nikon One Touch has been my carry along as of late on my road trips. Shooting color at the moment but a roll of b&w 400 will go in next. Your shots look well exposed against the dark clouds & hidden sunlight.

Frank I'd say this is the same lens. My One Touch is the 2nd version I think. Doesn't have selective ISO setting & a built in lens cover. Does have the same lens as the 1st version.

One trick I learn about these camera's on YouTube:D is if you want to take a stealth photo, keep the button down while you walk away & release the button. The camera will then wind on to the next frame. It can be a bit noisy. Is yours noisy Phil?

I think that I remember reading somewhere that the lens of the this camera is the same design as the Nikon 35 RF lens. Anyone know about this?

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the lens in the original L35AF, and that's a lovely piece of glass.

PF

The Nikon One Touch has been my carry along as of late on my road trips. Shooting color at the moment but a roll of b&w 400 will go in next. Your shots look well exposed against the dark clouds & hidden sunlight.

Frank I'd say this is the same lens. My One Touch is the 2nd version I think. Doesn't have selective ISO setting & a built in lens cover. Does have the same lens as the 1st version.

One trick I learn about these camera's on YouTube:D is if you want to take a stealth photo, keep the button down while you walk away & release the button. The camera will then wind on to the next frame. It can be a bit noisy. Is yours noisy Phil?

It's quite a bit quieter, due to the heavy duty construction able to withstand water pressure down to 3 meters/10 feet.

PF

I have the data back version of this camera (as well as 2 non-databack versions) but the data back doesn't appear to be functioning. Is there something I'm missing or do I just accept that, if there's no LCD function, it's not going to work?
Pete

Have you checked the battery contacts in the data back? Just a little humidity and a decade will corrode that thing.

Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

On other cameras I have used, the data back runs off a CR2016 battery or similar. May be the same on this one.

Have you checked the battery contacts in the data back? Just a little humidity and a decade will corrode that thing.

Phil Forrest

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk

Do you mean it has a separate battery than the main batteries?
Pete

They are usually located behind a panel in the door, close to the hinge end. After looking at mine though (I don't have the Data Back), it would be more logical for the cell to be located in the body of the camera somewhere

PF

They are usually located behind a panel in the door, close to the hinge end. After looking at mine though (I don't have the Data Back), it would be more logical for the cell to be located in the body of the camera somewhere

PF

Looking at it, I think it involves a watchmaker's Philips screwdriver to change it, so I don't think I'll bother.
Pete

Data backs are kind of overrated, unless it's the type that prints between the frames. I would use it on the first frame of a camera I was testing if it had one, but would then forget to turn it off after the first exposure. Got tired of having to PS the date out of the photos.

PF

Data backs are kind of overrated, unless it's the type that prints between the frames. I would use it on the first frame of a camera I was testing if it had one, but would then forget to turn it off after the first exposure. Got tired of having to PS the date out of the photos.

PF

I agree. I've no interest in them whatsoever, but I'm just thinking that one day I might like to sell it on in which case it would be nice if it were working. Also, if there's a battery in there, I wouldn't want it to leak and corrode the contacts.
I am immensely impressed with the image quality and exposure system of these cameras. I bought the L35AF recently but it feels cheap and fragile in comparison.
Pete

With a sealed body, and 1:2.8 35mm lens, this underwater Point and Shoot by Nikon looks to be a versatile camera. It is auto focus above water and manual focus underwater. Test was done with Kodak BW400CN.

Nikon Action Touch Underwater Camera by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Dawn on a stormy winter day.

First Light by P F McFarland, on Flickr

I was so happy to capture the first rainbow of the year until I remembered there was B&W film in the camera.

Monochrome Rainbow by P F McFarland, on Flickr

This was a nice place for a quiet afternoon snack, or to buy a gift. But now they are moving the business to an in town location. Former Cloyd House, circa 1783.

White Oak Tea Tavern by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Cows and calves munching on feed spread out by the farmer.

Chow Line by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Still standing after all these years.

Weathered by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See more photos with narrative at https://flic.kr/s/aHskTjM6WU

PF

I just picked one up that looks just like yours. But mine seems to have a problem. When I load the film, close the back, then turn it on and push the shutter button, it does not automatically load the film to exposure 1. Instead it just seems to take a shot, and advances the film as if it was already loaded and had been used. If I take another shot, it again advances the film but this whole time the film counter has not moved.
I opened it - it shows the film was advancing - took the film out. Reloaded, same result.
Guess this one is going back..

I just picked one up that looks just like yours. But mine seems to have a problem. When I load the film, the back, then turn it on and push the shutter button, it does not automatically load the film to exposure 1. Instead it just seems to take a shot, and advances the film as if it was already loaded and had been used. If I take another shot, it again advances the film but this whole time the film counter has not moved.
I opened it - it shows the film was advancing - took the film out. Reloaded, same result.
Guess this one is going back..

Have you tried it without loading the film? Normally it will auto advance to 1 at the first press of the shutter button after the back has closed. Actually, you can see the action with the back open. Film has to be loaded all the way to the red mark, and locked into the sprocket with the pressure plate. Could be the frame counter has a broken gear or shaft, and so the auto load feature doesn't work, but it sounds like it still advances the film okay. So you would have to do the two frame advance manually, then keep track of exposures.

See if the frame counter is just stuck by pressing on the reset bar (in the back of the camera) several times to maybe free it up.

PF

This thing is now as dead as a doornail.. Farly I tried your advice, didn't help. But after dry firing it twice, it just seized. "wound" but would not fire. And that is how it remains now, no matter what I tried.
Yup this puppy is going back. Shame as I really like the positive focus distance indicator.

This thing is now as dead as a doornail.. Farly I tried your advice, didn't help. But after dry firing it twice, it just seized. "wound" but would not fire. And that is how it remains now, no matter what I tried.
Yup this puppy is going back. Shame as I really like the positive focus distance indicator.

Yep, sounds like a busted gear in the drive train. But you now have the Pentax Zoom 90WR to keep you happy.

PF

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the lens in the original L35AF, and that's a lovely piece of glass.

PF

No it's not. Manual states 4 elements in 3 groups as opposed to 5 elements on 4 groups on the original L35AF.
The lens of the L35AF was used only on that model.

Back