Nikon Compartment Leather Cases

Alpsman

Well-known
Local time
4:48 PM
I'm opening a thread here for the old Nikon Compartment Cases.

Be it for the Rangefinder or for the SLR.
Most of them are made of leather, but there are apparently also some made of imitation leather.
No matter whether it is almost new or heavily used or damaged.
These types of bags are almost no longer made these days.
Please no new bags made of nylon fabric!
And if at all possible, please also include the type number/type designation so that you can orientate yourself better.
So go ahead, show off your hoarded treasures :)

Greetings: Dieter

I'll start with the FB-5 Case.
The special feature of this bag is that the lenses are locked in a plate with bayonet connectors. There is another version, FB-8, in which the three bayonets are arranged in a row.
DSCN5504 lo.JPGDSCN5505 lo.JPGDSCN5506 lo.JPGDSCN5507 lo.JPG

The one-piece fasteners of the lid which opens away from the body.
DSCN5508 lo.JPGDSCN5509 lo.JPG

The inside with the bayonet-plate and filter holders in the lid.
DSCN5510 lo.JPGDSCN5511 lo.JPGDSCN5512 lo.JPG
And filled with F2 and mounted 50mm f 1.4.
In the bayonet-plate a 85mm f 1.8, 20mm f 3.5 and 200mm f 4
DSCN5513 lo.JPG

I have lenses from the 1930s that have been stored in their original Leather cases from the time they were new- No Problems.

Fungus- if you are in a humid environment, that is a breeding ground for it. I bought a collection of Nikon RF, Contax RF, Nikon SLR, and Pentax SLR: fungus started when the equipment was stored in a non-humidity controlled Safe by the widow of the owner. That is when the Fungus started. I disassembled and cleaned all the pieces, got to all but one before any permanent damage started. No difference between lenses, cameras, viewfinders stored in or out of the Leather cases. Also put all the equipment and cases under UV light for days, for lenses do not use UV-C.

SO: Recap, dozens of cameras and hundreds of lenses all stored in Leather cases, in the house, for decades: no problems. Do not store in Humid conditions.

I have 3 FB-5 cases, the older ones are Brown and newest is black. I bought an FB-8 new about 30 years ago. The "Leatherette" dry rotted. The vinyl finish cases - almost all of mine suffer dry-rot, got rid of them as Plastic was getting onto the lenses and cameras.

Last edited:
The "Leatherette" dry rotted. The vinyl finish cases - almost all of mine suffer dry-rot, got rid of them as Plastic was getting onto the lenses and cameras
Same problem with old lens cases covered in synthetic leather, the "leather"surface crumbled.
Or the foam in larger lens cases for example 300 f 2.8, the foam starts to crumble.

But I did'nt start the thread to talk about the pros and cons of leather cases and now I get caught doing it myself :-(
. . . . .
I knew there was a song :-=
The tubes - dont touch me there

the smell of burning leather as we hold each other tight . . . .
:cool:
Austrian version from Drahdiwaberl

I found this at a Photorama show some 20 years ago- a Nikon FB-11 with a Canvas Case FOR the FB-11.

RIMG0031.JPGRIMG0032.JPG

I've not seen this in the Nikon/Nikkormat Manuals. Would be interested if anyone knows about it. Was it an Option, ordered separate, or included with the FB-11?

I had not thought that is was custom made, but that makes sense.
Nikon made some odd accessories.

Last edited:
Former item numbers of cases:
Screenshots from older Nikon F brochures with CC. . . and Modell . . . item numbers than FB-. . . .
View attachment 4832904
View attachment 4832905
And with this- I am making this thread "Sticky" so that it stays near the top of the forum.

I'm going through closets- and when "the BIG One" is on schedule for a future rainy weekend, I will post more pictures of "Gadget Bags", fitted cases, and some of the accessories. Which are usually in cases. I have the Panorama Head in the Leather Case and the Nikon Bubble to go with it.

I had not though that is was custom made, but that makes sense.
Nikon made some odd accessories.
What made me think it was custom made was the plastic zipper. All leather Nikon bags I've seen have a metal zipper.
(Except for these nylon fabric bags, but we don't want to talk about that here.)
I've even seen an old Nikon bag repaired with a plastic zipper instead of a metal one. :sick:
OK, the end justifies the means, but still . . .
And if the cover were truly a Nikon original, it would most likely have the Nikon logo on it somewhere.
Regardless, you have something that not everyone has ;-)

What made me think it was custom made was the plastic zipper. All leather Nikon bags I've seen have a metal zipper.
(Except for these nylon fabric bags, but we don't want to talk about that here.)
I've even seen an old Nikon bag repaired with a plastic zipper instead of a metal one. :sick:
OK, the end justifies the means, but still . . .
And if the cover were truly a Nikon original, it would most likely have the Nikon logo on it somewhere.
Regardless, you have something that not everyone has ;-)
The Zipper is Metal- made me look! The reflections in the picture made it look white, probably picking up the canvas.

And with this- I am making this thread "Sticky" so that it stays near the top of the forum.
Ah :)
I'm going through closets- and when "the BIG One" is on schedule for a future rainy weekend, I will post more pictures of "Gadget Bags", fitted cases, and some of the accessories. Which are usually in cases
My girlfriend has already remarked with envy that I have more camera bags than she has handbags.
I have the Panorama Head in the Leather Case and the Nikon Bubble to go with it.
I already have my sights set on this panoramic head.
But you just reminded me, the zoom viewfinder for the rangefinder also has a cute little leather pouch.

The Zipper is Metal- made me look! The reflections in the picture made it look white, probably picking up the canvas.
Ah - OK, white painted metal zipper at least.
Normally such bare brass zippers were sewn on.
Anyway - the more I look at your cover the more I like to have one. Next occuring problem - I dont have an FB-11 . . . .
Maybe designing one for my FB-7.

Nikon FB-7 Compartment Case
Designed exclusively for Motor Drive users.

It holds two F cameras with F36 Motor, one of them with cordless battery pack and attached lens
or one F2 with Motordrive and Battery pack and a second F2 without motordrive.
There is also room for two additional lenses up to 200 mm.

Outer and inner of the case
DSCN5517 lo.JPG
DSCN5521 lo.JPG
DSCN5522 lo.JPG

A small detail: the little bag buckle that secures the zipper from opening.
DSCN5520 lo.JPG

The outside pocket with snap fastener and zipper
DSCN5518 lo.JPG
And what the bag swallows.
Sorry, I have only one F with motordrive :-(
DSCN5523 lo.JPG
DSCN5524 lo.JPG

Back