Nikon retro-inspired camera

Oh, I agree it's easy enough to deal with. I like the picture control system and I'm happy with the stock picture controls in my D7000 and the ones I've downloaded. It's just one of those things where Nikon's efforts are such a poor showing that you wonder why they even bothered. It would look better for Nikon if they just stuck with their few standard picture controls (Standard, Neutral, Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, Monchrome, etc.) rather than doing a half-a$$ed job at creating a bunch of new ones.

And just for the record, I have nothing against cheesy filters if they are done well. I quite like the Hipstamatic app on the iPhone.

It's reassuring that the custom controls are usable - these Nikon-created ones, however, all look like variations on some kind of global tint. That doesn't make a JPEG profile. At the least, you need to treat color channels differently rather than just overlay everything with tint or faded blacks, etc.

It isn't just the controls in the camera, there is a computer program that lets you build your own presets too. Will even let you try presets from any supported camera.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/163/Picture_Control_Utility_2.html

Just downloaded the current version and it already has the zfc in there. The zfc has all the standard Nikon picture controls (standard, neutral, vivid, monochrome, portrait, landscape, flat) plus a bunch of others.... dream, morning, pop, sunday, somber, dramatic, silence, bleached, meancholic, pure, denim, toy, sepia, blue, red, pink, charcoal and graphite.

Shawh

What is Nikon doing? How do you schedule a release date for a new camera and lens, and then, after you've gotten pre-orders, realize you can meet production demands on the camera, and can't even produce the 28mm lens at all?

Way to build up excitement and then squander it all with bad planning...The chip shortage is/was not unexpected, dealing with Covid should have been at least partially solved by now, so what gives? Other supply-chain issues are there, yes, but why schedule a release you "should have known" was not going to happen? Blind optimism?

https://petapixel.com/2021/07/19/ni...-be-slow-delays-special-edition-indefinitely/

What is Nikon doing? How do you schedule a release date for a new camera and lens, and then, after you've gotten pre-orders, realize you can meet production demands on the camera, and can't even produce the 28mm lens at all?

Way to build up excitement and then squander it all with bad planning...The chip shortage is/was not unexpected, dealing with Covid should have been at least partially solved by now, so what gives? Other supply-chain issues are there, yes, but why schedule a release you "should have known" was not going to happen? Blind optimism?

https://petapixel.com/2021/07/19/ni...-be-slow-delays-special-edition-indefinitely/

The petapixel translation is garbage.

Orders for the Z fc with 16-50 VR SL exceeded expectations so shipments to SOME customers will be delayed. The rest will get theirs on July 23rd or soon after.

Regarding the Z fc with 28mm f/2.8 Special Edition, there's a delay in parts supply for the 28mm lens so the start of sales has been postponed to a later yet-to-be-determined date, not "delayed indefinitely".

Skeptical of what? You think no customers will get their camera any time soon?

I think they are blaming it on it being a raging success, but I believe they can't deliver due to ineptitude. I could be wrong, but...that's why I'm skeptical.

The petapixel translation is garbage.

Orders for the Z fc with 16-50 VR SL exceeded expectations so shipments to SOME customers will be delayed. The rest will get theirs on July 23rd or soon after.

Regarding the Z fc with 28mm f/2.8 Special Edition, there's a delay in parts supply for the 28mm lens so the start of sales has been postponed to a later yet-to-be-determined date, not "delayed indefinitely".

Your translation makes more sense. Thank you.

I went to check A7C yesterday and Downtown Camera received Z fc on day before.

51347963578_2396894df2_o.jpg

IMO. Z fc is camera made to be used with screen turned back. A7C is the screen camera with EVF to be used at last resort.

Z fc feel is nowhere near film cameras it is mimicking. No metal feel. But it doesn't have cheap feel.

It is very well balanced. Digits on dials are easy to see. Letters, symbols on the top plate beside dials were difficult for me to see for some reason.

ISO6400 camera JPEG1

51346996627_9d4efd9737_o.jpg

AF isn't very fast with kit lens. It seems.

With under 100 USD Meike 28 1.8 in native mount it is very stylish camera to do it as with manual focus Nikon film SLRs.

True fun camera, IMO. To be wearing on hipsta neck strap and with tropical colours, motives short.

I've had a play with one a few times via the Nikon rep here in QLD. It's nice, but it feels like a digicam. Very light, would suit those who want a light setup. With the 28mm it almost feels absurdly light.. Dial feel is good, viewfinder is okay. My main complaint is that the body feels a bit hollow - the fuji's are more hefty feeling for instance.

I’ve cooled off on the Nikon for now… it’s too expensive in Chile (and I’m in love with the X-Pro3 for APSC). Maybe if I ever get to travel to the US again (Covid), I’ll grab one used. That said, I’ve also been dying to get a GFX for a normal price and have been feeling an itch to have a Leica again. Maybe it’s better if I forget about this camera. It gives me nothing I don’t already have… other than another camera to use.

Back