Nikon retro-inspired camera

The camera is APS-C, the 28mm lens is an FX lens so it most definitely can be used with a full size sensor without any restrictions.

Yes, quite right. I may have inadvertently implied that this was an APS-C lens, but I was trying to make a different point.

It's great they brought out another FX lens to round out the line, but what I would have much preferred is if they had introduced a lens that was 28mm like this lens (and ~40mm equivalent) - but faster, f1.7-2 - specifically for use with this camera. That would have been something new and more compelling to me.

And IF they had to make it a DX/APS-C lens to be able to do so (e.g. while keeping price reasonable and size small), that to me would have been a more interesting introduction, and something the FX lens range doesn't have either. Overall a 40mm equiv with max aperture close in the 1.8-2 range is something I'd look very hard at.

But this lens? Sure, nice - but nothing new and just modest styling difference. They missed an opportunity that I think would have fit with the new camera well.

Well I just solved some of my concerns about switching to Z50/fc. I bought two FX lenses I can also use on my DX cameras (D300s, last of the screw drive DX models), the 24/2.8D and 80-200/2.8D Ver III. And I can quit worrying about Z bodies. For now.

PF

I just bought a brand-new Df to use all of my manual focus classic AIS Nikkors, and they'll be used at their native field of view they were meant to be used at vs. on a aps-c body and their FOV x 1.5. I like that even better...

Oh come on. I just bought a Nikon FE just to have on my shelf for looks (Nikon Z fc be damned). Now onto the real business at hand, going out and shooting my oh so superior Z5. Okay none of this true as I am a Leica man. But if I was a Nikon man that's what I would do. (used to be a Nikon man).

Oh come on. I just bought a Nikon FE just to have on my shelf for looks (Nikon Z fc be damned). Now onto the real business at hand, going out and shooting my oh so superior Z5. Okay none of this true as I am a Leica man. But if I was a Nikon man that's what I would do. (used to be a Nikon man).

If you were a Nikon man, you wouldn't need to go out and buy an FE, it would already be on your shelf! ;)

PF

HA LOL. I looked around, I still have about 5 Nikon Film Cameras including 2 FE's. Caught with my Nikon pants down.

Well, I do consider myself a Nikon man, but don't own an FE. I had a bad experience with the only one I ever owned, sticking with the FM variants ever since. Didn't consider getting another FE after purchasing the N90s, and especially after the F100.

In the long run I can see getting the Zfc, but I'd want to reduce the herd first before switching mounts.

PF

As someone who does not own Nikon lenses, only cares about a 40-45mm lens right now, and has a few things that he can sell... I've decided to buy it. Call me a sucker, but I like a dedicated shutter speed dial, digital, and using multiple bodies from multiple manufacturers. I like variety.

As someone who does not own Nikon lenses, only cares about a 40-45mm lens right now, and has a few things that he can sell... I've decided to buy it. Call me a sucker, but I like a dedicated shutter speed dial, digital, and using multiple bodies from multiple manufacturers. I like variety.

This camera appeals to me too, as someone who learned photography in the 1970s. Knobs and dials are tactile and you can immediately see your main settings. I guess it appeals to my old brain.
But...I think I would use a camera like this, with the 28mm, as a sort of snapshot camera, and then fiddling with all the settings is less appealing. I'd probably just leave it in "P" most of the time, and the cool knobs and dials would sit idle.

Although the Hong Kong agent has not announced the launch date and actual price of Z fc in Hong Kong at this time , everyone can only refer to the foreign price and sale date as a reference, but it is reported that the major camera retail stores have already placed orders in advance by prospective buyers, and there is a queue list It's not short, it can be said to be rare in recent years.

- https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id%3D30965

I'm just now looking through these new samples, but having just looked at "Somber" "Sunday" and "Silence" I have to ask: did Nikon hire some 17th century Puritans to name these profiles?

Yes, I'm familiar with the Picture Control system and have downloaded several from the nikonpc.com website (all of which look much better than the new ones Nikon has added to recent cameras in the past 2–3 years).

The new Nikon picture controls look like they were trying to copy 2011-era Instagram filters and managed to capture all of the cliché and none of the charm.

The new Nikon picture controls look like they were trying to copy 2011-era Instagram filters and managed to capture all of the cliché and none of the charm.

They might have been. :)

Fortunately it is very easy to deal with that using the Picture Control System for anyone that is going to shoot JPEG.

Shawn

Oh, I agree it's easy enough to deal with. I like the picture control system and I'm happy with the stock picture controls in my D7000 and the ones I've downloaded. It's just one of those things where Nikon's efforts are such a poor showing that you wonder why they even bothered. It would look better for Nikon if they just stuck with their few standard picture controls (Standard, Neutral, Portrait, Vivid, Landscape, Monchrome, etc.) rather than doing a half-a$$ed job at creating a bunch of new ones.

And just for the record, I have nothing against cheesy filters if they are done well. I quite like the Hipstamatic app on the iPhone.

Back