gavinlg

Mentor
Local time
11:09 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11092120nikonlaunch.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11092115nikonlenses.asp

pic_110921_11.jpg

Ok I'll go first...

'meh'... looks like a black blob, lenses are slow, sensor is small. Not interested myself.

Stupid looking "1" on the side panel.

The software sounds scary and lame, it takes a lot of photos and uses facial recognition to identify the best photos automagically. Of course this will be duplicated and enhanced by most of the other camera companies too.

Yet they left out any social media or photo sharing applications.

It looks like it is completely consumer orientated although it is priced crazily -- almost twice as high as it should be to bridge the gap between compacts and DSLRS. At least Sony put the NEX 3 at a price point to bring people into the system. This is mainly going to steal people who might otherwise buy a D3100 kit.

Once again a camera company made a product that has some nice qualities but they seem to have forgotten how even slightly more than newbie photographers want from their cameras....

I was surprised when Pentax introduced their similar system, am not anymore. seems targeted where money is.

wonder whats future of plain point-n-shoot's ? will camera phones replace those entirely ?

It offers both contrast and phase detection focus. Sounds good.

"select the best photo for you" disappoints me a little. Letting the machine decide for you. Nah.

From the company that remade the S3 and the SP in the 21st century...this is incredibly disappointing (but not unexpected).

This rather colossally dull announcement might provide an opportune moment to point out that — contrary to gibberish that one reads here and all over the web — FF cameras are not getting cheaper very quickly, and are not poised to take over any markets that they have already taken over. Indeed, the market for FF cameras looks to be headed nowhere but down.

We do, of course, know why this is: (1) Moore's Law doesn't help you a bit if you're tied to a fixed and large plot of silicon; (2) smaller sensors are already plenty good for most people, and are continuing to get better and better; (3) big sensors dissipate too darned much heat, and thus too much power, and so require rather big cameras* with rather big batteries. The linked problems of heat dissipation and power consumption are of course compounded if the sensor is always on, as it is in live view or while capturing video, both of which are what we refer to as the future.

All of this makes me chortle.

Did I mention that I stockpiled another 300 feet of lovely unexposed film in my freezer today? (Digital is for work; film is for fun.)

*Yes, the M9 is big and, especially, heavy. Compare it to an M6, or even better, to a Pentax ME Super or a Ricoh GR-1. If you're feeling especially cruel, compare the M9 to an NEX-5 or an E-PL3.

Last edited:
Meh.

They look like potentially good cameras, but that crop factor... my money remains on the Sony NEX system.

The camera takes 20 quick shots in a row, then it chooses the best one, and provides 4 other alternatives. That is so wrong.

Are you buying 100' rolls and reloading? I did that when in school and have thought it the best way to buy and store - but quality cassettes are an issue. Leica made some really nice cassettes long ago.

Sorry to thread hijack... Yes, I'm bulk loading about 2/3 of my film.

(And no, I have no problem whatsoever with digital, which on balance has mostly superior technical characteristics; I just enjoy messing about with film.)

The camera takes 20 quick shots in a row, then it chooses the best one, and provides 4 other alternatives. That is so wrong.

Yeah, I'm told by extremely reliable sources that Nikon engineers call it the "Fast Winogrand Transform"* -- the standard version of that algorithm being too computationally expensive** to implement with current image processing pipelines.

* a.k.a. the MMWAMLM (million monkeys with a million Leica M's) algorithm.

** The Standard Winogrand algorithm involves taking about twenty thousand quick shots in a row, and picking one. The Standard Winogrand algorithm is of course a theoretical construct that has never actually been implemented.

Last edited:
Lettuce beef real tea - this 'system' is completely outclassed by m4/3 in every possible way.

m4/3 has a bigger sensor, but it still as compact.
m4/3 has the similar size lenses, but with bigger sensor.
m4/3 has an array of lenses from zooms to fast primes to tiny pancakes.
m4/3 has the choice of 2 EVF's which can clip on to any body
m4/3 cameras are significantly nicer looking (e-pX especially)
m4/3 has the option of real control dials for advanced users, and direct access buttons

I'm a bit miffed with what nikon was thinking?

Hey fdigital, we still have to wait to see the sensor performance. I remember seeing a test where the tiny Pentax Q sensor holds its own against the larger m4/3 sensors in DR.
Edit: I just noticed the user interface. Touche, fdigital, touche.

Last edited:
It's aimed at the average family photographer who wants a nice camera and thinks a DSLR is too large. Compared to the little compact they've been using for the last five years, the image quality should be a big leap forward.

Never mind that it will be a huge leap downward from a basic DSLR, the virtues of the smaller sensor will be seen as a benefit - more in focus shots, longer battery life, etc.

Unfortunately it seems to offer nothing for most experienced photographers.

Hey fdigital, we still have to wait to see the sensor performance. I remember seeing a test where the tiny Pentax Q sensor holds its own against the larger m4/3 sensors in DR.

The thing is, even if it matches m4/3 performance completely in sensor IQ, it's still a smaller sensor with less DOF control etc, but without any discernible size advantage...

Back