Nikon reveals it's mirrorless '1' system

I think it's a fun system/camera to shoot anything moving, like the cat playing etc ... with the snazzy functions like motion snap whatever.
Way to pricey for a gadget.

Will have to wait couple of more years for that digital Contax G type of camera.

I saw that. Can't imagine what DSLR he's referring to. The D40?

The D40 has terrific image quality, and is capable of delivering absolutely beautiful prints up to 11 x 16 or larger. Does the average family photographer require more? And do you think that you'd do much better on a technical level with a 35 Summilux ASPH FLE, and M7,...and Tri-X?

The D40 has terrific image quality, and is capable of delivering absolutely beautiful prints up to 11 x 16 or larger. Does the average family photographer require more? And do you think that you'd do much better on a technical level with a 35 Summilux ASPH FLE, and M7,...and Tri-X?

I think my post was one of those comments that just doesn't work in a forum context. Know what I mean?

What I was getting at was that, from the samples I've seen, the V1 is certainly not producing image quality equal to even Nikon's current lowest-rung DSLR. So I did a quick search to find the model name of an older Nikon DSLR (as I don't know them at all) and tried to make a bit of a camera marketing joke.

Just posted my review of the J1 -- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393556,00.asp

After a week with the camera, I have to say that I like it... but I would never by it for myself. No manual focus rings on the lenses and the extreme crop factor make using older glass via a theoretical adapter a tricky proposition for a wide-to-normal shooter.

It is as fast as Nikon claims -- 10fps, 30fps, or 60fps for about 13 shots. And I was happy with the quality of the RAW and JPG files coming out of the camera, although it's harder to control depth of field with the slower lenses and smaller sensor.

As someone else in the thread said, would be a good camera for the wife. Fast shooting is great for sports -- I shot some at a baseball game last weekend. Still trying to find time to go through my shots from that, but will track down a keeper or two shot with the 10mm as requested by Juan and link them here when I find the time!

Flash is not that bad. Does a decent job at middle distances -- had to dial in some negative EV compensation when using it close and still got some hotspots. Better than the flash on a point-and-shoots I've used.

People care about possibility to take picture not how it's done. This way Nikon (and others) make superzoom P&S cameras without Av Tv M modes - really, modes/scenes are enough. This cameras don't even have real aperture and shutter values to be set - ND filter and electronics do the job. And you talk about small sensors :)

I want one of the Pink 1's
1316579221_FAMILY_3_FPO_FCO_FCP_sm.jpg

For the wife :angel:

Just posted my review of the J1 -- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393556,00.asp

After a week with the camera, I have to say that I like it... but I would never by it for myself. No manual focus rings on the lenses and the extreme crop factor make using older glass via a theoretical adapter a tricky proposition for a wide-to-normal shooter.

It is as fast as Nikon claims -- 10fps, 30fps, or 60fps for about 13 shots. And I was happy with the quality of the RAW and JPG files coming out of the camera, although it's harder to control depth of field with the slower lenses and smaller sensor.

As someone else in the thread said, would be a good camera for the wife. Fast shooting is great for sports -- I shot some at a baseball game last weekend. Still trying to find time to go through my shots from that, but will track down a keeper or two shot with the 10mm as requested by Juan and link them here when I find the time!

Thanks for the review Jim.
I was taken aback when I see the 100% crop from the test image. I sure was expecting more details than that murkiness...:eek:

Honestly at this point I just check the news about this camera like I check the sound of a breaking plate in a restaurant, not out of interest, just want to see how bad it could be.

The DxO Mark parameters (just published) indicate the sensor performs as well as micro 43 sensors but doesn't come close to an APS-C sensor.

When I'm done with my Leica Year, I would love to look into this as a going out camera, especially if Nikon comes out with a 7 or 8mm prime for the system. It would be perfect for my usage. I've also been looking at the Pentax Q with the toy fisheye for such usage too. These pictures would never get printed and I find that the image quality is fine for websharing.

That's one ugly hump on top of the camera and it doesn't have a finger grip and the sensor is too small. I'm really disappointed in this camera. I think the new Fuji X50 makes more sense.

DaveO

Back