Nikon Z5 / Z50-Zfc photos...the little brothers

Looks good. How does the EVF hold up in bright sunlight?

As long as one doesn't point it directly into the sun without some shading (by hand or hat) it's okay. I like the Z5 finder better mainly because it's a little larger.

PF

Took the Z5 and Z 24-200/4-6.3 out yesterday. It's a good all around camera, but I'm going to have to get used to the Manual Focus Override if I really want to get serious with it. Just one more thing to have to think about before taking the photo.

Squirrel by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Squirrel Gone by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Resting Red by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Duckweed by P F McFarland, on Flickr

On "Resting Red" I used the Control Ring to select the focal plane to fall on the Cardinal, though one has to do a half-press on the shutter button to make it happen in AF.

See all 21 test photos at https://flic.kr/s/aHsmXaimGX

PF

Some bokeh tests with light points. Z50 with Z DX 16-50mm f3.5-6.3 VR

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0345_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.2 KB ID:	4761818
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0347_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.3 KB ID:	4761819

No cat eyes here. (Sorry, I had two more examples but they supposedly are too large to upload)

PF

Last edited by a moderator:
My annual New Years Day photo excursion this year was a little different in that I had one camera that I didn't know if it would make it through the day (a Nikon P7700, and it didn't) and another camera that is becoming my go to unit, the Z50. The day started out wet and gloomy, so monochrome mode was the set-up.

Z50, Z DX 16-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 VR

Flightless Birds by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Aeronautics School by P F McFarland, on Flickr

End Of The Road by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Country Chapel by P F McFarland, on Flickr

If you want to see how the P7700 fared before it went toes up, and the rest of the Z50 shots, use this link https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzxa25

Happy New Year ya'll!

PF

PF, monochrome mode looks pretty nice on the Z50. Will the menu let you dial the contrast up or down and give you options for levels of sharping etc ?

PF, monochrome mode looks pretty nice on the Z50. Will the menu let you dial the contrast up or down and give you options for levels of sharping etc ?

It certainly will, even filter effects, though I've left all that alone for now. Some day I'll fiddle around with the settings to see what they'll look like.

PF

Hi PF, thanks for posting these Z50 images. They look great! I just purchased the Z50 kit (body, 16-50 and 50-250) directly from Nikon. Was going to buy as refurb but there's a sale now until the end of the month which allowed me to purchase the kit new for the same price they were selling the refurb kit for!

Thanks again for the inspiration. You obviously have bonded with it

best,
Paul

Hi PF, thanks for posting these Z50 images. They look great! I just purchased the Z50 kit (body, 16-50 and 50-250) directly from Nikon. Was going to buy as refurb but there's a sale now until the end of the month which allowed me to purchase the kit new for the same price they were selling the refurb kit for!

Thanks again for the inspiration. You obviously have bonded with it

best,
Paul

And the really neat thing about it is it's about 95% the same as the Z5, so what settings work on one will translate over to the other, with of course the differences in sensors being the determining factor as to which has the better output. It's still pretty darn close.

PF

I hadn't paid much attention to the Z50. I thought it was a low end "fun" camera not suitable to "serious" work. Then I started to read more about it along with both lenses Nikon offers. I decided to get the 2 lens kit as refurbs directly from Nikon but I then realized they were having a sale and were offering the 2 lens kit new for the same price as the refurb kit! No brainer!!
Your post and images sealed the deal for me. Thanks again PF

Over ten months from the day the utility line markers showed up, and three tries by the company doing the work, we finally have a functioning sewer again.

Nikon Z50 with DX 16-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 VR, five image stitch

A Long Time Coming by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Gonna take a lot of grass seed to cover that mess.

PF

Note: Click on the image title to see a larger version. It won't display here because of the file size.

It is always difficult to tell when things are compressed for the web, but do you have the sense that there is a step up in pure image quality with the Z-series cameras? I find them very intriguing, but can't tell the difference in resolution from web-based images.

It is always difficult to tell when things are compressed for the web, but do you have the sense that there is a step up in pure image quality with the Z-series cameras? I find them very intriguing, but can't tell the difference in resolution from web-based images.

As far as I can tell it's a definite improvement over my other digicams, with the possible exception of the D610, though I haven't really made a big comparison test yet. But you're right about web-based images, as even Flickr does a fair amount of sharpening to its displays. But I don't do any myself, so if my Z images look better than a lot of my previous stuff on Flickr there is a good reason for it. The Z50 and Z5 are just that much better.

PF

Progress, sort of. Our backyard now looks like a NASCAR dirt track. You go round and round the two trees, the pits are off to the right past the Commit Cone, the Start-Finish Line pylon is the phone line box next to the Timing Stand represented by the electrical box. Will see about getting it on the schedule, but might have to fight Martinsville for a race date.

Short Tracking by P F McFarland, on Flickr

One thing I really like about the camera (once I figured how to turn the feature on) is the Horizon Level in the viewfinder. I have a bad habit of tilting the camera to the right when I'm shooting, so it's great to have a reference point to keep that from happening. Saves me a lot of time in post.

PF

I feel really let down by Nikon when it comes to the Z DX gear. Not that it doesn't perform well, but that the company seems unwilling to support the line similar to what you get from the FX side. Specifically, Nikon does not supply hoods with the DX lenses, only as an optional item, and sometimes you have to search all over to find a store that has them in stock. When I bought my Z50 Two-Lens Kit it took me over a week to find a store that had both hoods.

Yesterday it all came to a head for the latest lens I purchased. Last Nov 10, 2021 I ordered the Z DX 18-140mm. The hood has been on back-order ever since the day Nikon released the lens for sale. I have a gift card for B&H I was going to use to buy the hood when it comes available, but I'm really getting tired of waiting. I started checking the Nikon Store site, and last Friday they no longer had the hood on the back-order list. I kept checking the B&H site to see if they got their shipment in, but no such luck, so I decided to go ahead and order it direct from Nikon yesterday. Only I couldn't complete the sale because the site just wouldn't do anything when you hit the "Checkout Now" button. Not a good sign. I tried three times before giving up.

This morning the Nikon site has a "Back-order" disclaimer on the Accessories page for the 18-140mm under the image of the HB-101 hood. Thanks, Nikon, for dashing my hopes yet again, and for hiring the dumbest Techs to run your online retail store.

PF

Back