no love for north america

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
12:51 AM
canon just launched the new eos-m3...in europe and asia but not gonna be distributed in north america.

long distance delivery if you want one...order from japan or hong kong i guess.

I don't understand Canon.
So they launched a flawed product at a high pricepoint and are shocked it fails. Then they don't bother trying again with their updated competent products.

canon just launched the new eos-m3...in europe and asia but not gonna be distributed in north america.

long distance delivery if you want one...order from japan or hong kong i guess.

they are testing it in other markets,
ready to correct mistakes,
before risking another failure in the US marketplace.

Stephen

Japanese camera companies have a long history of selling things in Japan that they don't sell in the US, and of selling versions in the US that do not have all the features of the Japanese version.

The US is a DSLR-dominated market for cameras in that price range. But then again, maybe Canon is showing its love by sparing us a mirrorless foible?

Dante

So they launched a flawed product at a high pricepoint and are shocked it fails. Then they don't bother trying again with their updated competent products.

This is subjective, and flawed in what way?

The M is excellent the way it is; small, pocket-able and takes great images. AF is NOT the disaster everyone claims it to be, and even though the M lacks loads of dedicated buttons for vital functions, the basics are well represented all one simply needs is some "real world photography" to get the hang of this tool.

Jason

Very understandable....

Very understandable....

They could not fix the reasons the US market panned the previous model(s), and are counting on the market that is more receptive to mirrorless to bail them out.

Canon is only about 7 years behind on a workable mirrorless, and is fishing for redemption in a less critical market.

Pretty simple. Only company further behind Canon in mirrorless is Nikon.

If it just had a viewfinder, I'd care.

I prefer canons rendering versus the other big manufacturers, I just hate that they are always so far behind in offering features that other companies roll out without much pause. Canon sucks at responding to the market.

I think that there is nothing to cry for with this ridiculous price tag they set here in Europe.
I was curious about it but it seems that Canon don't want to sell it at all.

If it just had a viewfinder, I'd care.

I prefer canons rendering versus the other big manufacturers, I just hate that they are always so far behind in offering features that other companies roll out without much pause. Canon sucks at responding to the market.

I guess you mean built-in? I would have preferred that too. But they sell a ~$250 EVF that will work: EVF-DC1

While the sensor will probably lag Sony, Samsung, etc., and AF is to be determined, overall I don't think it's such a poor effort. I'm looking forward to the user reviews.

This is subjective, and flawed in what way?

The original firmware was woeful; the resultant reviews panned the camera. That sealed its doom until the later firmware was released (a year after the camera was announced) and when Canon cut the price in half.

At that point the M became a best buy!

I guess you mean built-in? I would have preferred that too. But they sell a ~$250 EVF that will work: EVF-DC1

While the sensor will probably lag Sony, Samsung, etc., and AF is to be determined, overall I don't think it's such a poor effort. I'm looking forward to the user reviews.

from the Canon Australian site....i think it's going to be a lot better than what most think.
It will be @ $600 with a kit lens and EVF....Canon site has some nice images from this camera.

"..... Delivering DSLR-like performance within a compact system camera, the EOS M3 utilises Canon’s superb 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor, DIG!C 6 processor and advanced high-speed AF to create stunningly sharp images, even in low light."

Just received the 11-22 lens from Henry's. The retractable feature is good; keeps the lens small which is the idea of mirrorless. IQ seems good from quick test. Price was great, shipping very fast, included warranty good in Canada and US!

Back