No Sales Resistance

Bike Tourist

Well-known
Local time
2:58 AM
When was the Q released? No matter. Ever since I have been looking at reviews, You Tube videos and forums like this one. Here, at last, was an almost affordable Leica that seemed to embody everything I wanted in a camera. Then, I realized it might not be available except at inflated prices sold by resellers making a quick profit.

I've been on the fence for months, consoled by the fact that the Q was always back ordered so I couldn't have one even if I consented to spend that princely sum.

Today, I was innocently perusing B&H's web site when suddenly the Leica Q page appeared and it said IN STOCK!

I called and, sure enough, they had three. The crafty salesman, by pretending he didn't care whether I ordered one or not, had me hooked. I told him I'd take one of those three and no thanks on the accessories. Time enough for those later.

I hope it's everything they say it is and nothing more!

Hey Congrats Dick!

The Q seems like a really nice camera and a Logical direction for a fuji user.
It's form factor and AF really fit with what I would like in a digital camera.
Would love to have a 40-50mm version :eek:

Dick, my experience with 28mm happened by mistake. A few years ago on a trip to Europe.
I discovered that I had brought a 28mm lens not the usual 35 I always brought with me before.
Much to my delight the pictures were perfect and it seemed that they gave me what I saw!
I still use the 28 and even a 24 for every day shoots. Hope your experience will be similar or even better.

Dick, my experience with 28mm happened by mistake. A few years ago on a trip to Europe.
I discovered that I had brought a 28mm lens not the usual 35 I always brought with me before.
Much to my delight the pictures were perfect and it seemed that they gave me what I saw!
I still use the 28 and even a 24 for every day shoots. Hope your experience will be similar or even better.

Good to know,Tony.

It's the only Leica that holds any interest for me, I don't think I can justify it, but good to see that they're finally getting out into the world in decent numbers.

Dick, I see that you're 81. Congrats on that! I'm 74 and the Q is the first new Leica I've bought in over 40 years! The Q is everything that I had hoped for when I bought the M8, M9, and M240....all of which are now in the hands of other photographers.
I tried the Fuji X cameras and they are OK, but the Q has an EVF that just makes me smile every time I bring it up to my eyes. I rarely compose on the LCD display because the EVF is so responsive and accurate. Others have mocked the 28-35-50 cropping switch, but I use it frequently to pre-visualize and compose. Oh, and don't hesitate to shoot and print JPEGs straight out of the Q....they are superb.
Keep shooting and let's see some of your results. Good luck.

Dick, I see that you're 81. Congrats on that! I'm 74 and the Q is the first new Leica I've bought in over 40 years! The Q is everything that I had hoped for when I bought the M8, M9, and M240....all of which are now in the hands of other photographers.
I tried the Fuji X cameras and they are OK, but the Q has an EVF that just makes me smile every time I bring it up to my eyes. I rarely compose on the LCD display because the EVF is so responsive and accurate. Others have mocked the 28-35-50 cropping switch, but I use it frequently to pre-visualize and compose. Oh, and don't hesitate to shoot and print JPEGs straight out of the Q....they are superb.
Keep shooting and let's see some of your results. Good luck.

Well, it arrived yesterday. The ensuing hours have been devoted to charging the battery, making menu choices and taking a few pictures around the house at night. It's already obvious that the Q cannot negotiate high ISO like my Df and D610, but it does produce a "look" that suggests an M3 and Tri-X to me. I hope to go out sometime today and learn more. Hey, it sure is built like a tank!

Nice little camera. Very well-built. I couldn't accept 28mm as an only option, the IQ was not nearly the equal of the output from my Nikons, especially in view of the price. My nostalgia for Leica and the good old days has been satisfied. I returned it today.

But, that's just me.

Actually that is quite telling that you returned it.
Q lust has been tamped down :eek:

It's quite a $ commitment if it does not satisfy.

Nice little camera. Very well-built. I couldn't accept 28mm as an only option, the IQ was not nearly the equal of the output from my Nikons, especially in view of the price. My nostalgia for Leica and the good old days has been satisfied. I returned it today.

But, that's just me.

At least you will not have to wonder anymore.

It's funny how lust for a camera can so quickly be crushed by reality!

:)

But, that's just me.

Well, you had to get it out of your system. I never bought it for the same exact reasons... I just couldn't have a $4250 28mm solution. Now, if Leica ever makes a 50mm version... they will probably bamboozle me into buying it.

US buyers are very lucky to have this whole 'change your mind send it back' thing happening. US sellers, maybe not so much!

Everywhere else in the world I've ever lived or traveled, when you buy something, you keep it, end of story!

When I had a few Canon EF lenses, I recall reading US buyers multiple ordering lenses to 'get a good one' and then just sending back all the other ones.
Maybe you just 'didn't get a good one' Dick? There were three after all :)

It's good that you got it out of your system anyway.
I share the 28mm alone won't do it viewpoint, especially in the golden age of the 28mm mobile phone camera.

US buyers are very lucky to have this whole 'change your mind send it back' thing happening. US sellers, maybe not so much!

Everywhere else in the world I've ever lived or traveled, when you buy something, you keep it, end of story!

When I had a few Canon EF lenses, I recall reading US buyers multiple ordering lenses to 'get a good one' and then just sending back all the other ones.
Maybe you just 'didn't get a good one' Dick? There were three after all :)

It's good that you got it out of your system anyway.
I share the 28mm alone won't do it viewpoint, especially in the golden age of the 28mm mobile phone camera.

Apart from some categories there are distance selling regulations in the UK (EU?) gives you 14 days cooling off period I think.

Interesting shared experience, Dick, thanks!

The Q has intrigued me... I like 28mm, and indeed that was the only lens I used on my Cuba trip early this year, and again on a vacation to SW Colorado this Fall. I did not feel handicapped at all, though there were a few occasions a longer lens would have been useful. But there's the problem: I have the 28 Summicron and a Leica M262 to put it on! And, I'm free to put other lenses on it at will... Still, some aspects of the Q are attractive.

Back