No subscription software preferences - Capture One?

I use Photopea, an on-line editor, which is supposedly a lot like Photoshop, and free. I use it mostly to reduce images to a supported size for the board. It does RAW so I can play around with that.

I use both Lightroom and Capture One. C1 is a very good RAW editor and for scanning b&w negatives, a right click gives an option to convert to positive which is very handy. C1 also outputs CMYK files that some clients want, LR doesn’t do that AFAIK, so you have to send RGB files to Photoshop for conversion to CMYK. C1 also has excellent camera tethering. I believe C1 offers a free 30 day trial.

But C1 won’t “stack” images in piles, and that is a feature I really like in LR. LR’s interface seems more intuitive and it integrates well with other Adobe products. Better for cataloging images for me.

When Adobe switched to subscription only, I switched from Lightroom to C1 and never looked back. It is a steep learning curve, but there are plenty tutorials available on the web. I skip 1 version between updatges, which makes it about as expensive as an Lightroon subscription. RAW conversion is very good, and it uses layers which is a great bonus. Catalog is OK. I use Sessions a lot when photographing tethered. Latest version also offers easy stitching facilities and HDR, all in one package.
Highly recommende if you are prepared to invest some time in it.

Would there be any negative consequences for someone that signed up for licence option on something like Capture One and chose not to purchase a new version for three or four years?

I installed Affinity on old Mac I restored. It is substitute to LR, IMO. I prefer standalone LR v6, which I got in 2016 with new M-E 220.

Learning any new software has a learning curve that will be intimidating at first. After Adobe discontinued support for non-subscription versions of Lightroom, I had tried Iridient and found it very difficult to get results I liked. After Capture One and Fujifilm developed a partnership, I used the lite Fuji-only version for a few years and then ponied up for the full version (I think I use version 20). Capture One is great and I will happily use it for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't go back to Lightroom even if they offered a perpetual license version again. There are many features I don't know how to use, but this is also true with Photoshop (an older version of which I still use on my 2011 iMac). I learn what I need to know and ignore the rest.

Back