Noctilux Photos

NB23 said:
Why exactly? Did you know you can shoot it in the dark and shoot landscapes with this lens and get perfect sharpness? What other lens does that?

Hi Ned,
I stay away from the threads even though I have one since cost always comes up and how the images from them aren't worthy. The cost is always mentioned, in the past it was, "a $2500 specialized lens not worth it blah blah blah no reputable shooter blah blah blah" Now it must be worthy of $5000+. It's one of those things people love or hate. I like mine even though I don't have the time or the talent like some do.

MikeL said:
Hi Ned,
I stay away from the threads even though I have one since cost always comes up and how the images from them aren't worthy. The cost is always mentioned, in the past it was, "a $2500 specialized lens not worth it blah blah blah no reputable shooter blah blah blah" Now it must be worthy of $5000+. It's one of those things people love or hate. I like mine even though I don't have the time or the talent like some do.

Mike,
I appreciated your pics and I even told you in my reply.
You have a special lens in your hands. Just shoot it the most you can and let the others wish they'd have it.
Post more if you can...

I've had a Nocti on order for quite some time and am really looking forward to using it as my all around shooter on my M4-P. The way I see it is that it's fast when you need it but, as you mention, very good stopped down as well. The cost of a particualr tool shouldn't be an issue in my opinion. If it's a tool that will enable you to get more of what you see onto film and your vision would be better served with an extra stop then the Nocti it is a great purchase. I'm sure there are a few thousand photographers out there that don't care to post or talk on the net, or even care to give mention of what gear they use, that use this tool to great effect. Like many other less "exotic" gear.
For me it is simple. I just want to load up some standard 400ISO film and shoot in as many conditions as possible without worrying too much about avaliable light.

I like your shots Ned. They're good example for me of how versitile a lens the Nocti is.

A redwood shot, around f4, and yes, it would have looked similar with other lens:

attachment.php

Obligate narrow depth of field shot;) :
attachment.php

Attachments

• Redwood.jpg
    Redwood.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Guitar.jpg
    Guitar.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
The nocti has a very unique look - not better or worse, just different. Stoppped down, it can also look quite conventional.

Last edited:
Okay,

Just gotta ask...I am very impressed with the noctilux lens. I have set it as a goal to someday obtain one. But, first, I almost bought a nice M6, but now am not sure if that is the best body to use with a noctilux.:confused:

Is there a "best" body matchup for the noctilux...and why?

Any help along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

oh...and thanks for the images...they are great!
:D

Best,

DaveL

bankcheck said:
What about an M5. I really like the balance but it's just me.

It seems that it is not just you. Some of the Japanese photographer seem to prefer the M5 + Noctilux combination and I guess it is due to the size and the spot meter.

Just bought an M5 from our own awilder. Great camera. I get that it almost tanked the company, but it handles so well. M3's are also fab -- I happen to like the double stroke. What a finder!

Ben

It's fairly certain that we'll be seeing a German made 'new' Noctilux within a year acacording to Dr. Andreas Kauffman who dropped a few not so subtle hints on the LHSA group at Rochester last month. i love mine and will post a few shots when i get to my home PC.
Steve

A new Nocti? I've read the thread on the LUF with interest. It's obviously at the top of the pile of exotic lenses in this world but it's just so hard to imagine Leica investing in a new m-mount design considering the problems they're having keeping up with overall product demand at the moment. And that's not taking into consideration how hard it is to source such exotic glass for the Nocti.

Maybe the new Nocti will be for the new R camera?

NB23 said:

This is so beautiful... I'm lost for words...

It is usually pictures like this that sometimes i wish i were male, then i would have no fear of going to dark places..

Last edited:
Thanks, Madsolitaire.

The parc is not that bad in real life :) It was a very romantic and fairly warm winter night, during a snowstorm.

Back