Noctilux trance

ampguy said:
Carl,

I would be very interested if you submitted this to your art class or teacher, fellow students whatever, along with the Biogon version with more DOF and without mentioning the lens or method asked which they liked better.

Of course it is subjective, and the Noct one could only be taken with the Noct but I wonder if I am in the minority in thinking it is just a better photo than the Biogon one?

I would be curious too...At first I thought I like the Biogon more and now I can't decide.

*shrugs*

I guess that's why I need both :D

cmogi10 said:
I got to borrow one from my store for a couple days just to have fun with.
Now I really want one more then ever.

That was smart. What do you think of it?

NB23 said:
Olsen, I always shrug my head at all your posts.

You always keep on saying the lens is bad because your own sample is miscalibrated and each time when I respond that you should either send it for calibration or just calibrate your camera with a screwdriver, you vanish.
That, besides your constant erroneous posts on any subject matter (especially on economics) made me realize, long ago, that all you say is funny.

I couldn't agree more!

:D

cameraman said:
The DOF at f/1.0 is hard to use on a Leica M8?!? No ****! I'm so happy you told me that.
For the rest of you: Olsen is a well known character on the local photo forums in Norway....

... and so are you, ha ha ha!

I thought it was great, I shot a couple rolls of film with it as well. I found it great wide open and didn't find anything not to like about it stopped down. All in all I could see it becoming an all around lens for me.
Focusing on the .85 M6 was no sweat. The lens also focused perfectly on my M8.

Like I said, I want one.

Carl, there's one in the Bay Area you can borrow unless it sells. Just don't lose it in the Tenderloin........

cmogi10 said:
I thought it was great, I shot a couple rolls of film with it as well. I found it great wide open and didn't find anything not to like about it stopped down. All in all I could see it becoming an all around lens for me.
Focusing on the .85 M6 was no sweat. The lens also focused perfectly on my M8.

Like I said, I want one.

so, you are going to buy it, then?

ampguy said:
I wonder if I am in the minority in thinking it is just a better photo than the Biogon one?
No, you're not.

Just comparing single individual shots will not help you decide what a given lens can do for you photographically.

Philipp

Thanks Mike! Trust me I've never babied anything in my life like I babied that noctilux hah.

And Olsen, If I could I would, unfortunatly it is not feasible at this point.
Maybe someday...

Noctiilux Shots

Noctiilux Shots

Hi...I'm new to the forum and Leica. I purchased an M8 and used M6 with a number of new and used lens including the older version of the Noctilux made in Canada...I had the 6-bit coding installed on this lens...The lens cost $2500...it is flawless...it has become a great but heavy walking around lens for people shots in crowds, urban settings, etc. Its great for building details, doors, gargoyles, etc.

I have had no issues regarding focusing, results, etc. except that I have to estimate the field of view somewhat since the large lens obstructs upper right corner of the rangefinder window...As an architect, I bought the gear for traveling...its much easy and lighter that my Nikon, Canon or medium format systems...very inconspicuous in public...I don't get hassled by security with a Leica since I look like a tourista

Check out three shots taken at San Diego's Columbus day celebration on my flickr
site. Hope it works...
11772806@N04

MikeL said:
Thanks for the comments Roland and others. The nice thing about certain types of people is you can just let them talk and it becomes evident to everyone what type of person they are. Keep talking Olsen.

Mike,

keep on playing golf!

Olsen said:
People here got to be shaken out of some hypnotic trance at which they believe that life cannot be lived without a Noctilux. ....

There is truly something that folks find fascinating about this lens. Some of the fattest threads here on RFF have "Noctilux" in the subject line. It's a cool lens. I shot a very little bit with Ted's the other night, and I thought it handled well, though focusing was slow(er), but the results were good. I think most 50 shooters end up with the 'lux at some point, and don't seem to regret the decision.

cmogi10 said:
Thanks Mike! Trust me I've never babied anything in my life like I babied that noctilux hah.

And Olsen, If I could I would, unfortunatly it is not feasible at this point.
Maybe someday...
If it focused perfecty on your M8 you are far ahead of me, - and prity lucky. Mine backfocuses with about 10 cm two meters distance - 'which is common, before adjustments' according to the Norwegian rep. Which Biogon are you comparing it to?

RayPA said:
There is truly something that folks find fascinating about this lens. Some of the fattest threads here on RFF have "Noctilux" in the subject line. It's a cool lens. I shot a very little bit with Ted's the other night, and I thought it handled well, though focusing was slow(er), but the results were good. I think most 50 shooters end up with the 'lux at some point, and don't seem to regret the decision.

Judging by the amount (or lack) of 50 lux's I see for sale I'm going to have to agree with you on that. It seems like most people are more then happy with there 50mm lux's, especially the asph version.

Olsen said:
If it focused perfecty on your M8 you are far ahead of me, - and prity lucky. Mine backfocuses with about 10 cm two meters distance - 'which is common, before adjustments' according to the Norwegian rep. Which Biogon are you comparing it to?
the 35mm Biogon...

Its actually between these two images...
p529614101-4.jpg

p536516888-4.jpg

Apples and Oranges, I know

night and day!

night and day!

The biogon takes images usable for Facebook Snapshots.

The Noctilux takes artful photos.

cmogi10 said:
the 35mm Biogon...

Its actually between these two images...
p529614101-4.jpg

p536516888-4.jpg

Apples and Oranges, I know

Haha... I think this thread is a bit of the everyday reality on what, in fact, is a Leica user's forum: leaving aside the classifieds and the actual lens, the fact remains, that Leica lenses hold no performance/cost ratio to a person who is not a Leicaholic.
Therefore, I believe that Olsen's observation has been driven by his own personal disillusionment with the Leica myth. Personally, I am grateful to Leica for the persistence with which they have stuck to RF cameras, and for the meticulous care in shaping their products. In a way Leica M story resembles closely that of the Porsche 911 - instead of getting revolutionary updates, this car has had evolutionary development in small increments, and although other brands have been faster to innovate, lots of people have always appreciated its reliability and mechanical quality/durability.
In case of Noctilux though, I believe, it is better to let people decide what it is worth for them, because this is a lens that has no exact equivalent on the market - from what I know, the Canon 0.95 is not optically a serious competition. (although Erik has made some very nice shots with it).

Certainly, this does not change the fact, that Leica prices are ridiculously inflated, and the Leica gear following is ridiculously indoctrinated, and this is where I am on Olsen's part.

Back