New York November NYC Meet-Up

Cal, It's great to have IBIS in camera it really helps.

Bob,

The 3 1/2 stops of IS in the 24-90 Leica zoom I borrowed for three weeks impressed me deeply.

The SL2's IBIS is 5 1/2 stops of IS. I can see me starting a big body of work doing night shooting. The 50 Lux-L and the Noct-Nikkor can really be exploited.

When I got the APO 35 Cron I thought it would be great for at night, but F1.4 on the 50 Lux made for a better rig.

Cal

Weekend Subway Service

Weekend Subway Service

FYI, I jsut double checked & theres no Qservice in Manhattan.
So dont rely on the subway to get to 7ave in Brooklyn. Tho there will be ShuttleService.

http://web.mta.info/weekender.html

Weekend Service Notice Click for details TRACK MAINTENANCE Nov 15 - 18, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 5 AM
Q.gif
QService in Manhattan is replaced by
M.gif
N.gif
and
R.gif
trains Free shuttle buses replace the
Q.gif
Q in Brooklyn between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Kings Hwy

The
B.gif
Btraindoes not operate on weekends.
A good alternative is the 2or3 train to Bergen St

FYI, I jsut double checked & theres no Qservice in Manhattan.
So dont rely on the subway to get to 7ave in Brooklyn. Tho there will be ShuttleService.

http://web.mta.info/weekender.html

A good alternative is the 2or3 train to Bergen St

I believe the Bergen St. subway station on the 2 / 3 line is about a block and a half away from the 7th Ave. Q station.

I understand they allow people to order outside food at this bar.

I kinda ambushed Joe and Chistian. LOL.

I gave Joe a tan 70mm CINE 4x5 Linhof back. While I'm into 70 mm, primarily its for baby Linhofs, and I still have a 4x5 CINE. I also gave Joe a 15 footer Nikkor reel.

Joe was not happy with free gear to drag home. LOL. As a concellation I supplied a Nikon bag that I recycled from PhotoPlusExpo.

Now it seems Joe will get a 70mm back for his Blad, so I gave Joe some GAS: just what he needs.

Then I bought this suitcase that held two Polaroid copystands. Somehow Christian sent me a link and for some unkown reason years ago I hit the BIN. When they got delivered I asked myself, "Why did I buy this?"

So Christian's gripe was that he rode a bike to Sharlene's, and that he already was fully loaded. Ha-ha.

BTW Christian rigged his 4x5 Linhof with a binocular pair of lenses for creating a stereo 6x6 pair using a Horseman 6x12 back. A pretty crazy rig.

We actually went out on Flatbush Avenue and took some shots. Because of the use of a monopod this required three people: Christian as the Photographer; a model, and an assistant to hold the ground glass back and darkslide and tho help stabilize the monopod.

So someone got "Amsterdamed" meaning steped in a small dog turd. So it was either Fidel, Jeff or me. Guess who was the lucky model?

Like Dan says, "No act of kindness goes unpunished."

The downside of Sharlene's was no food, but pretty much the culture is we can bring in food.

The only day for a December Meet-Up is Sunday the 22'd.

I think I'll bring a large carrot cake from Lloyds, which is likely the best carrot cake on the planet if not the universe. Pretty much I'll share it with the bartender Greg and whoever wants some.

BTW Greg had a black Pen "F" and was deeply impressed by our camera nerdness.

Cal

Cal, finding the time and the $$$ to fly to NY for one of the meet-up's is on my bucket list.
I always enjoy reading about the adventures of the NYC bunch!

Cal, finding the time and the $$$ to fly to NY for one of the meet-up's is on my bucket list.
I always enjoy reading about the adventures of the NYC bunch!

MFM,

When you do make the trip, I have plenty of vacation time, so let's hang and do some shooting.

BTW this Wednesday my boss won't be showing up for work. I have to do another "Orgy" supply run. Somehow I literally have over a hundred $10.00 off any purchase over $30.00 and 20% off any single item. I'm running low on olive oil and this Nuetragena Seseme 0il Cream.

I'll bring my knapsack. I'll do my shopping as a lunch run.

Know that Christian is a wack-job. You know what they say about the quiet ones. Anyway mucho clever and this binocular 4x5 that makes a 6x6 stereo pair is really crazy.

Seems like Jeff did the Rhine River cruise. Mine includes a "Pillow Menu" and a private butler though.

Cal

Cal,
riding the fully loaded bike with the suitcase in one free hand was easy. I have the skills for that. Schlepping it all up 4 flights because my elevator is out was a PITA. The 65mm angulon is very nice though. It will be part of my collection of lenses that are candidates to be mounted on my counterfeit Technar. So far I have a 47mm Super-angulon, an 80mm Sekor, a 65mm Sekor, and now the Angulon. I already have a 6x9 and 6x7 backs, and I just got a mamiya 645 back that I will make fit. It is turning into a system.

John,
yes, the m2 is very nice. Matte black is slick.

But the real question is how is Fidel’s M2 repaint from Chile?

John,

I would say really nice, and a lucky find.

The paint looks to be more durable than on my Hammertone M4. My M4 has mucho chipping along the edges and won't take too long to become mucho brassy.

I think Fidel's M2 has a much more durable finish, and I also like the matte finish.

I didn't see defects, but Fidel pointed out the white paint on the engraving was not perfect (perfect enough for me), and that the Vulcanite has some bubbles he could not smooth out (easy fix).

I took a shot with the camera. Seemed nice and quiet like it should.

So remember the M3-DS that I bought at Adorama that was factory serviced by Leica in Germany? I have it back.

This camera later got day traded for some vintage Bruce Davidson prints with an art dealer, then I got it back in a loan sharking deal, then I sold it to Brian who moved to Boston, then I bought it back.

The M3 is now skuffy from 4-5 years of heavy use. The slow speeds were off and the camera would jam. Unjamming was easy by increasing the spring tension by raising the shutter speed. I negociated the price lower to include a CLA/overhaul. Evidently Brian never used the slow speeds.

So I recovered the slow speeds, but the run on whirl that happens after the shutter closes does not happen. I made the camera usable and then I jammed the camera for good. Pretty much a shutter curtain came loose.

Oh-well.

So now this camera needs a shutter repair and an overhaul.

So this camera is the loudest M3 I ever shot. It never softened up, got quieter, or smoother. It has a new "L" seal.

So now I have the opportunity to solve a mystery. I think I'll send it to Sherry. Pretty much she does stuff for me that she would refuse others. I wonder if my M3 has steel gears. I don't really know what Leica did in Germany. The film advance has always been very firm and remains so. The shutter is particularly loud.

So if I have steel gears, then Sherry could install the driveshaft I need to use a Rapidwinder on a M3. Years ago Sherry called me a jerk and told me that the brass gears were not intended for the abuse of a Leicavit.

Of course a lot of this is my imagination, and perhaps I'm being delusional (nothing new).

So I figure that I could create a murder mystery with the forensics of getting this camera serviced. Could be interesting. You know that I'm a drama queen.

A M3 with a TA Rapidgrip and TA Rapidwinder would be "evil" and be another one of my "monsters."

Cal

Did anyone here buy one of the two Kodak Metalists being sold here on the RFF Classified?

Give it up. Fess up. Repent.

Cal

Got a friend around NYC on holiday and I've been lurking around here gathering the action y'all have lately.

Did anyone here buy one of the two Kodak Metalists being sold here on the RFF Classified?

Give it up. Fess up. Repent.

Cal
Not here. Probably more of them may come from Dan. It seems a really enticing although clumsy camera. Quite overlooked for what it is, but Kodak made it the confounded 620 format instead of 120.

Have gear temptations lately but at the end of the day I think it's dark boring late autumn conditions and that I gotta buy and use more film. And print. Who needs anything else having Texas Leica 6x9 :D
Done IBIS tests which makes me think how the Oly EM5 punches above its class thanks to it. "Light format+large format (6x9)." My lifestyle is still not able to take something such as a Linhof 70mm or Leicas :p Wish I had a couple extra arms and hands

Haha, after 2.5 years I don’t have much else though. And Cal... how did you get that back? What were the circumstances?

John,

Brian called me from Boston. Of course this camera was just so remarkable, but now with how it kept coming back.

If you remember you were with me in or near Union Square when the art dealer called. Initially he asked me if I wanted to buy some of my gear back because he had a hot deal and was jammed up on the cash flow.

Then the "Bankster" blood in me cicled him like a wounded animal and I made that loan sharking deal.

With Brian he quit his awful job and moved to Boston because he has family there. He is happy there and life of course is easier, but of course he is waiting to get hired at a great job that will suit him well.

Anyways this camera is valuable to me because of its day trading history, and it is also a camera that has a brand new "L" seal because it was factory serviced. Now I would say it is "scuffy" and just a user. I expect that after I get it repaired and serviced that it will remain in my arsenal.

In the end, and every time I had remorse when it left. I should name this M3-DS "Boomerang."

If my delusional idea happens, and by some remote chance the gears were replaced with a more modern steel set, then it would be cool to create yet another "Monster" to annoy you. LOL.

Cal

Back