New York November NYC Meet-Up

Got a friend around NYC on holiday and I've been lurking around here gathering the action y'all have lately.

Not here. Probably more of them may come from Dan. It seems a really enticing although clumsy camera. Quite overlooked for what it is, but Kodak made it the confounded 620 format instead of 120.

Have gear temptations lately but at the end of the day I think it's dark boring late autumn conditions and that I gotta buy and use more film. And print. Who needs anything else having Texas Leica 6x9 :D
Done IBIS tests which makes me think how the Oly EM5 punches above its class thanks to it. "Light format+large format (6x9)." My lifestyle is still not able to take something such as a Linhof 70mm or Leicas :p Wish I had a couple extra arms and hands

Jorde,

Chris brought a Medalist to the last Meet-Up. The VF'er is pretty remarkable. Chris explained how the rangefinder only uses prisms and because no mirrors are used is why there is so much clarity.

Another facet is when you look into the VF eyepiece is that you see a window for framing. and than this "Monster" sized rangefinder patch that is full frame. The framing window is on top and the rangefinder is just underneath.

The build quality also was like comparing a diesel engine to a gasoline engine. I said to Joe, "This is a camera I would use to crush a Leica."

It was big and heavy, but it felt pretty good in my hands. If I didn't own a kit of "Texas Leicas" I would be all over a Medalist. It captures my style.

Should I stop spamming you with economic reports? Did I give you a headache yet? Are you more confused than ever? LOL.

Cal

Jorde,

Chris brought a Medalist to the last Meet-Up. The VF'er is pretty remarkable. Chris explained how the rangefinder only uses prisms and because no mirrors are used is why there is so much clarity.

Another facet is when you look into the VF eyepiece is that you see a window for framing. and than this "Monster" sized rangefinder patch that is full frame. The framing window is on top and the rangefinder is just underneath.

The build quality also was like comparing a diesel engine to a gasoline engine. I said to Joe, "This is a camera I would use to crush a Leica."

It was big and heavy, but it felt pretty good in my hands. If I didn't own a kit of "Texas Leicas" I would be all over a Medalist. It captures my style.

Should I stop spamming you with economic reports? Did I give you a headache yet? Are you more confused than ever? LOL.

Cal
Aha, interesting. I've read up the bunch of reviews that roam around and it's quite a nice machine. Some point that with a proper eyepoint distance both VF+RF combine.

Its shape looks quite awkward to hold, but just occured to me that on this day and age one could 3D print a nice grip...

Have you seen the comic cover of a US lady soldier hitting a Nazi with one?

The econ reports are fine, but I just skim thru some of them. I thought you put up an automatic forwarder. Lately I've been a bit disconnected of the many types of turmoil, not letting them much thought space :D

I actually have discovered that the darkroom is a great zen zone and flow.

We've got tons of gov't surplus Ilford RC paper, using 10" for normal printing. I should someday crack open one of the large rolls (70cm and 1m wide) and try; Single tray or drum processing should go along due to space constraints. Haven't really exploited 6x9 to its printing potential aside from a crop test. Damn, and all the paper is free!

The point was, I could imagine that Kodak Ektar lens on par or even outresolving Fuji's 90mm EBC (GW series). Both are 5 element though IIRC Ektar is Heliar type (one cemented group) and the Fujinon is a simplified double gauss (of which I saw the schematic and never saw again).

Good thing being an American camera is that they're away from easy reach. :D

Aha, interesting. I've read up the bunch of reviews that roam around and it's quite a nice machine. Some point that with a proper eyepoint distance both VF+RF combine.

Its shape looks quite awkward to hold, but just occured to me that on this day and age one could 3D print a nice grip...

Have you seen the comic cover of a US lady soldier hitting a Nazi with one?

The econ reports are fine, but I just skim thru some of them. I thought you put up an automatic forwarder. Lately I've been a bit disconnected of the many types of turmoil, not letting them much thought space :D

I actually have discovered that the darkroom is a great zen zone and flow.

We've got tons of gov't surplus Ilford RC paper, using 10" for normal printing. I should someday crack open one of the large rolls (70cm and 1m wide) and try; Single tray or drum processing should go along due to space constraints. Haven't really exploited 6x9 to its printing potential aside from a crop test. Damn, and all the paper is free!

The point was, I could imagine that Kodak Ektar lens on par or even outresolving Fuji's 90mm EBC (GW series). Both are 5 element though IIRC Ektar is Heliar type (one cemented group) and the Fujinon is a simplified double gauss (of which I saw the schematic and never saw again).

Good thing being an American camera is that they're away from easy reach. :D

Jorde,

On one hand economics is a place of an uncontrolled mess that likely one day will have unfathomable consequences.

The darkroom is like being in a womb like deprivation chamber where one can hear their own heart beat and somehow the outside world is sequestered.

I do full immersion into both extremes.

On my Fuji Texas Leica I like that I can recycle lenses between 6x7 and 6x9 formats for different FOV's, Also these cameras are mucho simple and basic.

The 100/3.5 is a Tessar like derivative I believe. I like this early glass best because it is single coated. Because I'm only shooting B&W films, single coated glass is best for me.

Most of my film glass happens to be single coated and are old retro lenses with old school character.

Cal

Haha, after 2.5 years I don’t have much else though. And Cal... how did you get that back? What were the circumstances?

Hi John,
how's life in Chile now with heavy protests on the street, if TV report are correct? I guess you didn't expect a situation like that when you moved down there. Are you out on the street, in the middle of the action documenting something that could turn out a historic even a couple of years down the road?
Whatever you are up to - stay safe.

Hi John,
how's life in Chile now with heavy protests on the street, if TV report are correct? I guess you didn't expect a situation like that when you moved down there. Are you out on the street, in the middle of the action documenting something that could turn out a historic even a couple of years down the road?
Whatever you are up to - stay safe.

Hi Klaus. Chile is very protest heavy right now and yes, the news is generally correct. The streets can get hectic at times, but many areas are unaffected. I did photograph the protests a little (generically), but once the police started aiming for people`s eyes with their rubber bullets (200 + eyes blinded and counting) and the people started throwing rocks en masse at the police (and anyone else in the way), it was a little too risky for me. My wife is 5 months pregnant and doesn`t want me getting messed up. That said, I am happy here and I`m being safe. I hope all is well with you too.

But the real question is how is Fidel’s M2 repaint from Chile?

I liked it too!
The matte black is very attractive. It would look fine with a black chrome lens. Thats th down side of painted cameras, they can sometimes look a bit off without a matching lens. Unless youve got a panda theme going.

Granted I didnt look at the camera in sunlight, just low barlight. But Ive seen private paintjobs that were speckled with bubbles or chipping paint. :bang:

Another thanks to Fidel for bringing the blackM2 for show&tell.
-B

John,

I would say really nice, and a lucky find.

The paint looks to be more durable than on my Hammertone M4. My M4 has mucho chipping along the edges and won't take too long to become mucho brassy.

I think Fidel's M2 has a much more durable finish, and I also like the matte finish.

I didn't see defects, but Fidel pointed out the white paint on the engraving was not perfect (perfect enough for me), and that the Vulcanite has some bubbles he could not smooth out (easy fix).

I took a shot with the camera. Seemed nice and quiet like it should.

So remember the M3-DS that I bought at Adorama that was factory serviced by Leica in Germany? I have it back.

This camera later got day traded for some vintage Bruce Davidson prints with an art dealer, then I got it back in a loan sharking deal, then I sold it to Brian who moved to Boston, then I bought it back.

The M3 is now skuffy from 4-5 years of heavy use. The slow speeds were off and the camera would jam. Unjamming was easy by increasing the spring tension by raising the shutter speed. I negociated the price lower to include a CLA/overhaul. Evidently Brian never used the slow speeds.

So I recovered the slow speeds, but the run on whirl that happens after the shutter closes does not happen. I made the camera usable and then I jammed the camera for good. Pretty much a shutter curtain came loose.

Oh-well.

So now this camera needs a shutter repair and an overhaul.

So this camera is the loudest M3 I ever shot. It never softened up, got quieter, or smoother. It has a new "L" seal.

So now I have the opportunity to solve a mystery. I think I'll send it to Sherry. Pretty much she does stuff for me that she would refuse others. I wonder if my M3 has steel gears. I don't really know what Leica did in Germany. The film advance has always been very firm and remains so. The shutter is particularly loud.

So if I have steel gears, then Sherry could install the driveshaft I need to use a Rapidwinder on a M3. Years ago Sherry called me a jerk and told me that the brass gears were not intended for the abuse of a Leicavit.

Of course a lot of this is my imagination, and perhaps I'm being delusional (nothing new).

So I figure that I could create a murder mystery with the forensics of getting this camera serviced. Could be interesting. You know that I'm a drama queen.

A M3 with a TA Rapidgrip and TA Rapidwinder would be "evil" and be another one of my "monsters."

Cal

Cal it would be very interesting if the camera were modified with steel gears. Yes that would make it ideal for a rapidwinder upgrade.
BTW, theres always a chance that its had heavier springs installed as per the brief description of this mod that Sherry performed for this proffessional
http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2018/08/sherry-krauter-world-class-leica-master.html
a) To loose the shutter throw in such a way that it fires away with a very light touch.

b) To put heavier springs on the film advance of his cameras, because he´s always in the core of action and is frequently highly energetic in hand winding.

Hi Klaus. Chile is very protest heavy right now and yes, the news is generally correct. The streets can get hectic at times, but many areas are unaffected. I did photograph the protests a little (generically), but once the police started aiming for people`s eyes with their rubber bullets (200 + eyes blinded and counting) and the people started throwing rocks en masse at the police (and anyone else in the way), it was a little too risky for me. My wife is 5 months pregnant and doesn`t want me getting messed up. That said, I am happy here and I`m being safe. I hope all is well with you too.

John,

Christian once remarked that any city is a nice place to live if you have enough money to afford a somewhat luxury lifestyle.

This issue of economic disparity is pretty much everywhere. You know and have seen it in NYC. Pretty much same difference.

I won't repeat the story when I found myself swept into a full blown riot where the police in full riot gear used their nightsticks indiscriminantly clubbing innocent people.

STAY SAFE.

Cal

Geez guys, what's with all the talk about gear on a photo forum???
Where the heck are PHOTOS?
:confused:

Saul,

In this local club forum you can't post photos for some reason.

Also know that these posts get deleted after 4 months and are not archived.

Cal

Cal it would be very interesting if the camera were modified with steel gears. Yes that would make it ideal for a rapidwinder upgrade.
BTW, theres always a chance that its had heavier springs installed as per the brief description of this mod that Sherry performed for this proffessional
http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2018/08/sherry-krauter-world-class-leica-master.html

Bernard,

All I know there is a sense of mystery with this camera. Why does it keep coming back to me? Now named "Boomerrang" or "Boomer" for short due to the loud shutter that is as loud as a SLR.

At this point I want to know what Leica did when they overhauled a camera from 1956.

BTW I forgot to mention that Sherry has her own "K" seal. My other cameras have her "K" seal.

Also I have a tradition on making my cameras into "Monsters" (John coined the term) that seems to annoy him, which is one of my talents (annoying people). LOL.

Sometimes I even annoy myself.

Anyways this M3-DS somehow has a deeper meaning I feel. Somehow it is tied to my destiny it seems. The timeline is I started having a relationship with this camera about 8 years ago, and it keeps coming back to me. Perhaps it was 9 years ago that Leica ovehauled the camera, resilvered the prism, and put on a new "L" seal.

Who knows what they did. Could of been an experiment by some bored worker, perhaps some lazy guy decided to update the camera because it was less work, all I know is that after all this time the camera never loosened up or got quieter.

Pretty much I could do a PBS Mystery on the forensics of the camera.

Cal

Back