Pennsylvania NYC April Meet-Up in Philly

It seems if you just have "general seating" there might be a possibility of not getting on the bus. This might mean/imply first come first served.

To me reserved seating means you are assured a seat and don't have to wait on line early to make sure you get on the bus. I think they overbook, and that is why you see people standing on long lines, perhaps because of the overbooking. Reserve seating means we get on the bus first and it was inferred that vacant reserve seating goes people with "General Seating" I assume on a first come first serve basis. Anyways we can't be late.

Anyways Philly is only 95 miles away. The Amtrack seems very costly and like a commuter plane fare.

BTW my sister worked for TWA and as her brother I enjoyed flight benefits. Know that almost everything bad that can happen to you involving a plane has happened to me except a plane crash and a hijacking. Lost luggage, having to run in an airport to connecting flight like OJ because one flight was delayed, lost luggage, stranded in a foreign country...

Cal

It seems if you just have "general seating" there might be a possibility of not getting on the bus. This might mean/imply first come first served.

That's not good ! Let me see if I can change .

I did confirm 30th Street is the railway station in Center City.

Cal

Cal, 30th street is is just west of Center City I would says its on the edge University City.
It's a nice walk from there into the city, right by the Schuylkill River.

This Sunday will be a good day to come, Carnaval De Puebla is at 9th and Washington by the Italian Market.
And the Lantern Festival starts on Friday so at night it will be worth seeing.

We were there

We were there

Sue And I were in Philly last summer.

U11787I1461032966.SEQ.4.jpg

Betsy Ross House

U11787I1461032966.SEQ.3.jpg

Sue checking if the Quaker meeting House was open (she's a Quaker). It wasn't.

U11787I1461032965.SEQ.2.jpg

Diverse Group of Businesses

U11787I1461032965.SEQ.1.jpg

I don't know why it's showing URLs instead of pictures. I did the same thing I always do.

Sunday long range weather forecast: NYC sun and clouds 62/44; Philly sun and clouds 66/44.

Seems like ideal conditions, especially for B&W.

I think I will be shooting film with my black SL2-MOT with Acros and Tri-X.

Cal

Sue And I were in Philly last summer.

U11787I1461032966.SEQ.4.jpg

Betsy Ross House

U11787I1461032966.SEQ.3.jpg

Sue checking if the Quaker meeting House was open (she's a Quaker). It wasn't.

U11787I1461032965.SEQ.2.jpg

Diverse Group of Businesses

U11787I1461032965.SEQ.1.jpg

I don't know why it's showing URLs instead of pictures. I did the same thing I always do.

Rob,

Thanks for sharing. Much respect for Quakers. Very thoughtful people, and know that there is a Quaker Meeting House in Santa Fe on Canyon Road.

Cal

Thanks Rob. Philly may be more interesting than photographing Wash U, like we did a decade ago. Jean-Marc

I'll probably save it for another day, but even though it might be a tourist trap, taking a tour of abandoned Eastern Penitentiary seems like a place to shoot and get some shots that could be different.

Cal

I'll probably save it for another day, but even though it might be a tourist trap, taking a tour of abandoned Eastern Penitentiary seems like a place to shoot and get some shots that could be different.

Cal

Yeah, save that for an other day... the day i come along Cal. ;)

Yeah, save that for an other day... the day i come along Cal. ;)

John,

I had this in mind for you. Discount tickets are about $14.00. Not sure how restricted things are. Could be a record of a real hell hole that was closed for a reason. It is the kinda thing both you and I would be interested in shooting. The way it works is guided tour by appointment.

Kinda like having Rikers in Madhattan. LOL.

Cal

More info: 10 AM-5 PM every day. No flash photography, $10.00 monopod or tripod fee, no fee for handheld. Location credit if any photo is published.

It seems this prison became the model for other penitentiaries, and is the first historically.

Seems like a good reason to come to Philly just to shoot there. Meanwhile I will data-mine to search for more info. The web page shows me there are great possibilities. Pretty gritty the way I like it.

Cal

Let's make a plan to do that sometime in May.

John,

I say another day trip. For an overnighter I want to really know my ways around a bit to feel comfortable and not a tourist.

Also know that I have an agenda because I wouldn't mind relocating to Philly. It is close enough to NYC for me, and I think I might be able to buy a place to live that I could afford.

NYC is squeezing me out. I don't think I will continue to make the banks, the real estate companies, and the developers any more money in NYC after gentrifying Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Long Island City, and now Spanish Harlem. Fug them. I'm really spiteful because all the luxury housing that has been built, most enjoy 421 tax subsidies that give tax abatements to the rich who do not need them. Meanwhile I get priced out and am forced to move on. In NYC there is no space for me it seems, and my money is good elsewhere.

Anyways I can already see the future: NYC will be like San Francisco; a city of wealthy people and the homeless. I cannot see me working hard to gentrify the South Bronx, especially at my age. Also know that this NYC of the future is not a place where I will want to live because it will have been "suburbanized." NYC is becoming less interesting and exciting by the moment.

Cal

Back