New York NYC Journal

I’m thinking of winding my wound strings on the HOG to brighten up the tone to add some treble emphasis.

It is a secrete, so don’t tell anyone. Basically you mount new strings, bring the guitar up to pitch, and then loosen the string and wind the windings tighter by cranking the ball end of the string. 2-3 turns, and the limit is about 5 turns.

Pretty much an old piano tuners trick, but utilized on a guitar to add tension.

Pretty much adds some zing to the string.

The Model “F” made of all mahogany (HOG) has a round bottom end and mucho warmth, but lacks the brilliant highs of a spruce top to project.

This trick can blend in some highs, but the feel of the action is more tension on the string as if of heavier gauge. That is the trade off.

Lately I have had gas for a smaller mahogany guitar that features scalloped braces. The Santa Cruz H13 modeled after a Gibson Nick Lucas model comes to mind, or the Otis Taylor Chicago signature model. Pretty much a flat top optimized for blues.

The Nick Lucas is a small bodied guitar with deep sides for added volume and bass response. The early versions had 13 frets clear of the body instead of 12 or 14. It kinda has a sweet spot and is mucho responsive to attack.

I just need a bit more bite to the tone. The sound already is big with a profound round bass, a warmth to the voice via midrange, but I need more bite. The string winding might get me where I need to go. The thing about the HOG is that it is a mini-jumbo in size, so it projects and has volume, but the treble is a bit choked for a blues voice.

I basically need less smoothness and more attack.

The fresh strings I put on last night won’t lie.

Cal

Two winds on the wound strings really opened the guitar known as “HOG” up. Dialed in and added just the right amount of treble emphasis. Sound is deep, full, and balanced.

Really brutal, and likely will make a crazy good guitar for blues.

This Model “F” has depth and richness to its voice. Kinda powerful. Huge sound. Lots of body and brought out more overtones.

A pretty remarkable guitar.

A successful experiment.

Cal

I forgot to report. Last Sunday “Maggie’s” daughter put their house on the market. They already have an offer at their asking price. The house is still being shown and this coming Sunday is the deadline for the last and best offer.

Basically it is such a hot market that the house will sell in a week. Could be a bidding war.

We dropped off a clothing donation at a town called Shrub Oak which is east of Peekskill after the surrounding township of Cortlandt.

The owner of the house said during the pandemic she lost most of her neighbors and only three remained.

She pointed to a house across the street that had an asking price of $550K that sold for $800K. She had real estate agents knocking on their door asking them if they want to sell.

Anyways real estate in the Hudson Valley is hot-hot-hot.

My contractor who lives higher up in the Hudson Valley reported that right now the home buying up by him is hotter than even during the pandemic.

I will repeat that Marty said the buyers are from lower Westchester and NYC.

Cal

Back