New York NYC Journal

A complete “red-screen” where even Gold and Oil went down indicates mass selling and going to cash.

J.B. Hunt, a trucking company, took a hit with slow shipping demand that suggests a slow down. Shipping companies as well as the DOW Transport Index are used as a leading indicator that forewarns of an economic slowdown.

“Maggie” asked me to explain how transport companies can be a leading indicator when retail sales are high/up.

Pretty much retail sales can be up on stock on hand and current inventory, but pretty much during a slowdown inventory is not replaced. There is a delay before the markets take notice that there is a slowdown. Retail wants to eliminate inventory for cash flow and basically not get caught out. Pretty much they want to stay in business.

Interest rates look to to linger longer at present rates, and to control inflation even higher rates might be required. The FED has a limp dick, but still someone is going to get FXXX’ed.

Even housing starts are down, meanwhile the housing shortage did not go away. Rents are also going down. WTF?

My idea is money is tight because of debt loads. Consumer credit, school loans, car loans are heading into default. Even I noticed more foreclosures on homes.

There are reports that people are selling their gold today to pay bills…

Hmmm…

Today I went to buy some lumber to build a free standing trellis of my own design for our maturing Clematis to climb. “Maggie” bought this el Cheapo pyramid made of willow that was a throw away. I hate when she cheaps out and wastes money on cheap crap. The biggest insult to me is when the crap she buys is Made in China.

Not being racist here: I’m of Cantonese descent; so technically I’m Chinese myself.

I ran into my friend Brian who works at Home Cheapo in the garden section, but is employed by a vendor and somehow is embedded there.

The prices of garden soil is up about 50%, and peat moss is priced at $23.00 for the large bail. This is crazy. Brian suggested ordering a truckload of garden soil from a nursery, but with the stipulation that it would be soil that had enough organic matter for growing.

Brian also mentioned Adam’s Fair Acre Farms as the best location to buy plants and seedlings as far as price and quality. The nearest one was in Wappinger Falls, so we took the ride. Pretty much a big grocery store that was worth the drive because of not only garden supplies, but also the food prices were better and evidently the produce was more local, higher quality, and fresher. I kinda loved the prices.

Since we were about 23 miles north of Peekskill we decided to head to Poughkeepsie a river city of about 31K, just a bit bigger than Peekskill. Instead of having the town of Cortlandt as a suburb Poughkeepsie had the “Town” of Poughkeepsie. When you added the city and town together you get around 77K.

The thing that differs is that the Town of Poughkeepsie is more suburban than Cortlandt. Know that Cortlandt in some parts is very country like with homes spread out on 2-3 acres. This is particularly true just south of my Baby-Victorian on the very souther end of Peekskill.

In Poughkeepsie our destination was the sister store of the one we visited in Hudson over the weekend. In Hudson we had a time constraint and were rushed because we had to meet up with Eugene and Ala.

I saw that Poughkeepsie the city was like a slighty bigger Peekskill with the Mid-Hudson Bridge making it a bit of a hub in between Albany and the Catskills. The Empire State Trailway runs to Poughkeepsie and pretty much the Walkway Across The Hudson is part of it. Pretty much I could ride to New Paltz.

Hmmm…

The City of Poughkeepsie also has diversity. Something to consider if you are a person of color. Standing out is one thing, but being the only minority one has to be aware of your surroundings. A certain loneliness is there if you like it or not.

Hmmm…

Pretty much the prices of old historic homes was still cheap, and Vassar has a medical center that is rated in the top 50 in the country.

Hmmm…

I smell the possibility of locking in equity by a possible future move. I could get more land, a bigger house, a usable basement, and perhaps loose my mortgage or inherit a much smaller mortgage. Peekskill is such a hot market, I could lock in profits and buy another cheap home to fix up.

The move could be more into the downtown making the transition to aging in place easier. Poughkeepsie is the terminal stop on the Metro North Hudson line so pretty much I still could take the train into NYC.

Other infra structure important to me is having a sewer hook up and natural gas. The bridge across the Hudson means the Catskills are closer. Cost of living is less, food is fresher, locally grown, and of the UBER highest quality.

Woodstock is nice, but no sewers, no natural gas, no downtown, and not walkable. I see the wisdom of cities with their infrastructure. Did you know that cities actually have a smaller footprint ecologically than rural or suburban lifestyles?

I learned from the stock market that only when you sell do you lock in profits. Peekskill is the most northern rivertown in Westchester, and the demand is high because of location-location-location. Still only an hour’s train ride to NYC. This is of no value to me: I’m retired. Why pay high taxes when I don’t have to? Did you ever hear the expression,” No one ever got rich by paying taxes?”

So if I could sell and buy again to gain financially and find a replacement as nice or better it could be a win-win. Poughkeepsie is about 32 miles north of Peekskill. It also is a college city with Vassar and Marist as well as a community college. I forgot also the Culinary School of America.

Anyways lots to consider, not that I’m in a pinch, but I think I have a position of power and profit. I would only move/sell if I would profit greatly where my mortgage would be tiny or even non existent; and the future house would match what we built out or be better.

I live in the realm of possibilities. Lately we seem more immersed in the downstate state of mind that is more relaxed than the pace of NYC. I love the quality of life, the peace, and the lack of complications and bother.

Our circle of new friends are in the Hudson Valley all north of us, although we are embedded in the Peekskill art scene. We would be closer to Kingston, Rynebeck, Woodstock and Hudson. Still not too far from Peekskill.

Hmmm…

Cal

Last edited:
BTW, by now you can see how creative and crazy I can be. Perhaps I am the merging of cheap and greedy. I love saving money and not wasting it. I am sly and clever with money, and I know how to make money and manipulate markets. I’m also good at speculation.

Time is my friend here. Northern Westchester north of Croton is all kinda NYC watershed. Pretty much big development can’t happen, ever-ever.

The county can be divided basically by this watershed: one part is clearly suburban and expensive because of being just north of NYC; but the other half is mucho rural, has limited development, and is part of a protected important watershed.

Understand that the development in northern Westchester is severely limited and will always be that way: for ever. A different quality of life than just suburbs.

Time is my friend here with the possibility of probable financial gain. I also have location-location-location on my side. Know that I’m perfectly comfortable where I am now, but the jump in gains would likely have to be a no brainer. I costs nothing to daydream, speculate, and gather the facts and numbers.

BTW we get mailed solicitations all the time from real estate companies. The housing shortage is particularly bad in Peekskill. Slim pickings unless you want a condo. Of course everyone wants a detached house with a yard. Free appraisals…

BTW my eating habits are now smaller meals, eating more frequently, and perhaps less carbs. Not that I’m dieting, but I no longer crave vast amounts of food to fill the need to stay warm. I know that eventually I’ll get to 155 pounds though exercise. Eating smaller meals but eating and snacking more frequently.

BTW I only love old houses. New homes are sterile. Seems like I love 1930’s or older. Craftsman cottages are cool. More property for privacy would be great, a usable basement would be serious upgrades.

32 miles further up the river would be alright for me, especially if I could jump on the Empire State Trailway and cross the Hudson River easily.

I have to look into the possibility of lower taxes…

Cal

Taxes are not really less in Poughkeepsie. I got it cheap in Peekskill.

Also it seems that Poughkeepsie is far enough inland that it is no longer effected by the Gulf Stream, meaning colder winters, and that is a no go for me.

Oh-well. My mind can race and come up with mucho possibilities. That’s the curse of being a true creative. Pretty much we have the capability of catching the ball and running in the wrong direction. LOL

Happens all the time. Better than being stiff and a rigid thinker.

My little Baby-Victorian gains further appreciation from this exercise. BTW no house has its charm.

Did find a historic Victorian for $250K that pretty much I would love. Pretty much in the historic district, in the city proper, but needed a ton of restoration. Too big a house, too big a project. Lots of cool original detail though, but a big-big undertaking.

Also some homes close to Route 9 have severe flood risks. A no-go for me.

I would rather ride my bike and practice guitar. I have enough work on my small house.

A nice daydream. But a dead end. I also know now that further north has limitations for me. I can always drive north.

Cal

While Poughkeepsie the city and town is 77K people, Peekskill and its suburbs are 63K people.

The median income is higher in Peekskill.

Poughkeepsie the City covers slightly more than 5 square miles, while Peekskill is only about 4 square miles.

Cal

It’s a rainy day, and I’m digging into replacing my hip roof on my garage with Tamko Oxford Grey architectural shingles. I found the measurements and calculations I did over a year ago.

The Baby-Victorian has an architectural roof and it might be also Oxford Grey and Tamko. These shingles weigh a lot, 62 pounds a bundle and I figure I need 20 bundles. Not cheap either, but I figure about $1K in materials.

I find it aggravating that “Maggie” does not see any wisdom in having the added curb appeal of a matching roof on the garage. I find it interesting especially since she is a stylish person and formerly was a fashion influencer. Basically she wants to cheap out and save money. She also worries about when the house might need a new roof.

These architectural roofs are a premium product and pretty much they are rated for about 30 years. We are about 10 years into a 30 year roof on the house. Pretty much the roof on the house was fresh and only 7 years old when we bought the house. It was one of the reasons why I wanted to buy the house.

It is disturbing to know that Maggie remembers poverty and cheaps out. She is terrible about money and worries constantly about money. She remains trapped in poverty and is really good at wasting money. BTW she is one of those Amazon Prime customers who helps destroy the planet, she also is bad with recycling. She thinks she is green when she really is a consummer. This upsets me greatly.

A good example is the close to $3K Trek Domane bike she bought because of online reviews. Pretty much a woman with a PhD will seldom listen to a man, particularly one who might know more in a particular experienced specialization. Not my fault I might know something she doesn’t.

Before she bought this bike I offered to build her a custom bike, but she had to have her way. Now this brand new bike languishes in the basement unused. I knew I had enough retro components stockpiled to build a really-really great bike.

“I told you so,” I can say. Kinda knew it would happen.

I like the pergola I built from a kit. Looks great and was expensive. Made of cedar so it will endure, but this cost many thousands. The garage roof with lux shingles that will be good for 3 decades only costs $1K. Does saving a few hundred dollars make sense?

I’m also thinking of setting up the Ti IBIS as a 1x11 fitness bike. I have two sets of these Kojak slicks made by Schwable that are not available anymore in Kevlar bead which are the lighter in weight tires. These tires have a thick armor belt for some degree of puncture resistance. Low rolling resistance also.

My low will be only a 26.86 gear inch, so on some climbs standing will get promoted and pretty much it will require muscling up the longer or steeper climbs for a form of strength training. I am kinda built for this kind of hammering, and pretty much I use even my upper body to pump the pedals like a stair master.

As a 1x11 the jumps in the gearing also will be bigger, and this too will encourage some standing and use of upper body to stay on top of the gears

Anyways a different style of riding verses my Newsboy that is more of a cruiser. The Ti IBIS will be more of a hammer bike. It also is short in wheelbase and has quick steering for mucho agility.

The 26.86 inch low is still lower than my road bike’s 42 gear inch low.

Cal

Last edited:
These architectural roofs are a premium product and pretty much they are rated for about 30 years. We are about 10 years into a 30 year roof on the house.
We just went through this. We live just a few miles east of Pikes Peak, over 14,000 feet high. The front range of the Rocky Mountains. We get quite a bit of hail from time to time. Just replaced our roof after a bad hail storm last summer. Most people here use high end "impact resistant"
shingles here. They are also considered architectural as they are more dimensional looking. We informed our home insurance company (they paid for all but 2 grand of the new roof) and we get a discount on the yearly insurance bill of hundreds of dollars. Over the years, this greatly offsets the cost of the roof. Perhaps you can check with your company to see if they offer a discount for a better type of roof shingles.

Austin,

Higher fire rating on the lux shingles is one bonus. I’m really happy with our home insurance company. They paid us $7K for the $7.5K bill for our sewer line. The original clay pipe from 1912 went south, and we had a $500.00 deductible.

I know we have to be prepared for more severe weather. Last year there was a rather serious wild fire by Blue Mountain Preserve. The fire jumped Washington Street. I saw the county helicopter do orbits retrieving water from the Hudson to fight the fire.

Pretty much I feel we are in a sweet spot in the Hudson Valley. The wilderness and forests nearby are substantial enough to moderate some global warming. We have so far a constant water supply. Peekskill where I live is right at the border of growing zones 6&7.

By building code I’m on the border of needing a vapor barrier. Funny thing is a few blocks away a vapor barrier is required by building code.

Any excursion further north would be by car or at most a summer home.

“Maggie” is so worried about having family support. Pretty much I grew up more or less alone so I don’t feel any of that vulnerability. Her daughter and the grandkids are planning to move to the Carolina’s.

A warmer climate would be alright with me, but there are fire hazards as well as flooding problems in the lowlands in the Carolinas being developed. Pretty much swamps that were not developed for good reason.

Human nature I observed has about a 5-year span of memory for natural disasters. Pretty much a flood or devastating storm will happen, and costal areas will have depressed/distressed pricing, but by year 5 it is as if no disaster ever happened.

Also 100 year storms are now 25 year storms. The term 100 year storm is a misnomer.

I guess I reside in that I hope for the best, but “woman-factor” and “Maggie’s” state of anxiety is a source of unhappiness.

A good example is I’m not worried about replacing a roof on the house that is likely good for another 20 years. Her constant worries will shorten her life and are mighty irrational. Pretty much a waste of time. Sadly Maggie is slowly killing herself and pretty much if she just got a grip on herself not only would she be happier, but she would live longer. Self destructive behavior…

I realize what we stumbled into cannot be replaced. We got a really great deal on our Baby-Victorian at pretty much a bargain price with a UBER low mortgage. Low taxes also. I expect over time the value will inflate further because we are in the watershed area for NYC and mega development can’t happen ever.

I can make the Baby-Victorian work for me. I’m happy and there is no place I would rather be. A man’s job seems to be to try and make a woman happy, but that is a tough job. There is a reason why men have shorter lifespans, and the reason is women. I kinda know that men don’t express their feelings according to women, but pretty much it is self preservation instinct.

Cal

Last edited:
“Maggie” is booked for the Saratoga Book Festival and the Brattleboro Book Festival in October.

The grandkids home is having an open house this Sunday. The housing market is so tight that there could be a bidding war. A three bedroom house in Cortlandt Mannor.

There is a housing construction boom going on near the North Carolina/South Carolina border near Wilmington. The house should sell mucho fast. An easier life beckons down south.

Also health issues can be addressed.

It will be hard for us to have them a ten hour drive away. We will likely drive down to visit often.

My life though is here in the Hudson Valley. I have a sense of community here and too many friends to leave behind. I know our Baby-Victorian can’t be replaced. A lot of blood and sweat went into this house.

I have my life here, and despite the longing for the kids, I don’t want to move.

Then there is the attachment of the baby boy who is almost 20 months old…

I started converting the Ti IBIS into a fitness bike. I need to convert the drivetrain from a 2x11 to a taller 1x11. So far the bike weighs 19 1/2 pounds, but without a shifter, derailleur, a small chainring, and cable I could loose a half pound. The tires that are now mounted are called Kojak because they are bald with no tread.

The Ti IBIS looks pure evil.

Cal

A limited and targeted response from Israel. Pretty much a show of response that Iran is vulnerable to attacks.

Pretty much Israel has enough war going on then to start another one.

A cloudy and crisp day. They said that March had record breaking warmth, but spring has been slow and seems delayed to me. Trees are only starting to bud.

“Maggie” has been watching this show called “Small Town Beauty” and pretty much it features homes and locations in the Hudson Valley. This resonates with our explorations of the Hudson Valley. Pretty much a big promo of the life and lifestyle just north of Peekskill.

Pretty much affordable housing, but kinda far for a commute to NYC.

Couples are shown three homes that might meet their requested needs, budget seemed to be about $400K for many. Some were homes that were turnkey, others bought on the cheap allowing for major renovations and upgrades.

Then there were homes that were prepped and dressed up for sale. Pretty much the high end homes. One was in Carmel, a 3000 square foot chalet built on top of a mountain with a view and a deck. Sold for over $800K.

Part of the show was about home improvement, but what was remarkable was the housing stock. Pretty much we favored the old homes. Stuff from the 1940’s and newer lacked charm and character. No curb appeal either.

Lots of beauty shots though of the Hudson River and the surrounding mountains. Pretty much presented as a paradise.

Today I will try and dig out this Holly bush that is about 6 feet tall. Not sure if it will survive a transplant, but oh-well.

We need to space on the south side of the garage for growing. This is a prime location that faces due south and gets full sun.

We are responding to Austin’s post that states “Growing food is printing money.”

Cal

Trader Joe’s has these steel cut unrolled oats. Mighty good with two bananas and some blueberries.

If the rain stays away I can do some prison work and kinda get a strength workout today. Can appreciate burning some calories and trimming down a bit.

I also have two Canadian pallets from the sheds to salvage. Plan on making a big planter for a dwarf spruce tree that is likely root bound. Bought it as a living Christmas tree years ago and now it adorns the side of the driveway.

Then there is some Knotweed to pull. I enjoy being outside.

Cal

Regardless of the limited response from Israel today we have a “red-screen” where everything is selling.

It will be interesting how much of a bottom will happen today. Will there be a further escalation? Will Iran down play the attack and take it on the chin?

Pretty much a kids game of tit-for-tat. What’s next?

Cal

I killed the Holley bush. Not important to me, not particularly pretty, no flowers, just a big bush.

“Maggie” was cool with that. Wasted about 45 minutes digging before I figured out it was not worth it.

Next getting some garden soil delivered. I figure I need about 3 cubic yards.

I have 11 of my squares (24x24 inches) to fill and a 4x8 bed for cut flowers. NI need some extra for transplanting two baby Lylacs that are now likely root bound, and to freshen up some beds by our pergola.

Cal

Had some great luck. Bought 3 cubic yards of garden soil for $58.00 a yard plus free delivery. The depo is about a quarter mile away. 3 Cubic yards is a lot of soil.

Then we went to a nursery in Yorktown Heights that we visited last year. On that visit we saw this old antique cast iron fire pit that I would of liked to own because it goes well with the house. I was eyeing this smokeless stainless steel Solo fire pit, the smaller version that sell for $329.00, but it is not so cool as the old retro cast iron one.

The antique fire pit was still there and I smoothly put in an offer of $80.00, and it was accepted. Know that we searched high and low for one at antique dealers, Elephant trunk, and at Stormville. So basically our dream came true.

It is made of heavy cast iron, and has a patina of surface rust. I love it.

Home Cheapo has a sale on mulch: $2.00 a bag; or 5 bags for $10.00. I need to load up. Been waiting for this sale. The garden soil is also on sale at the same price, but if you do the math it comes to $72.00 a cubic yard instead of the $58.00 I paid.

Stopped at Barnes and Noble to buy a gardening book. Bought one that uses squares. Was also looking at a book that uses straw bales as a gardening medium. Clever use of the heat that can happen due to decay of the hay that can extend a growing season. Lots of unconventional thinking.

BTW at one point in my life I looked into building adobe houses and straw bale houses. I was also into geodesic domes.

I have 11 24x24 inch squares, and it takes 4 of them to make a traditional 4x4 foot square. I figure my smaller modular version has the advantage of less crowding and as a result more growth and higher yields. I have a galvanized washtub also as a planter that almost is as big as one of my squares.

For arguments sake let’s say I have 12 squares or the equivalent of four 4x4 foot squares. I learned today that one 4x4 square can provide enough salad for one person throughout a growing season. “Maggie” and I intend on eating salads every day, so basically 8 of my small square will be utilized to meet this requirement.

Pretty much one 4x4 square is enough to provide enough dinner vegetables for one person. So here we are only half way there.

I’m cool with that because next year I will expand. Anyways a lot happened today, and it was relaxing and not crazy.

Funny thing is that at our local Barnes and Noble in the Cortlandt Town Center, the strip mall that was the demise of Peekskill’s downtown a few decades ago, they did not have Maggie’s book in stock. Pretty much had to bring it to their attention that Maggie is a local author and that the book needs to be available here.

At the independent bookstores Maggie’s book is listed as a best seller on the east coast or Atlantic region. Marketing by the publisher is mucho lame. Barnes and Noble is lame.

I expect it to be a good summer.

Cal

Last edited:
At Barnesand Nobel they had a copy of Westchester magazine near the register. The cover and headline was about making Westchester “walkable.”

I’m sure Peekskill is mentioned and featured because we have friends that promote this agenda. I did not know that this is a concern for all of Westchester as the headline feature suggested.

I do know that Blue Zones are walkable.

When I have the time I think I’ll head back to B&N and read that article to find out what its all about.

Cal

I moved 3 cubic yards of top soil. Not as heavy as gravel, but this feat still qualifies me as a tough guy from Brooklyn.

“The All New Square Foot Gardening” book I bought yesterday at Barnes and Noble is a really great way to do squares and achieve a high yield. Also is less work and more efficient way to grow food.

The mix for the bed is 1/3rd compost, 1/3rd peat moss, and a third coarse vermiculite. Beds only have to be 6 inches deep, and I have a foot.

So the garden soil I used to half fill my 24x24 squares. I have extra soil but that I stockpiled on the table in the back-backyard to level and condition that for a ground cover mix.

Oh-well.

The author of this book formally was an engineer who retired. Pretty much he developed his concept of a square foot garden to optimize for efficiency and yield. I’m glad I bought this book because it really cuts the chase and gets me to where I want to be.

EZ-PZ and pretty much the lazy slacker’s way.

“Maggie” does not eat a lot like me. Because of this we might have just enough squares for the two of us.

I also have a crazy idea to build out a cut flower garden for next year. The side yard by the garage is a 15 foot square that gets full sun all day. Pretty much too good a space to just have grass. It would be a great place for a flower garden. Pretty ideal.

“Don’t tell Maggie.”

Pretty much I want to free up the 4x8 space where she has a cut flower garden planned for this summer. My plan is to grow more food.

I could do some ornate raised beds on the side yard that would have mucho curb appeal.

I don’t want to loose any lawn on my back-backyard, but on the side yard who cares. Pretty efficient use of space.

I’m actually inspired.

Cal

The number one killer in the U.S. is heart disease. They say 80% of heart disease is preventable through diet and exercise. It is doubtful I will succumb to heart disease.

Cancer is next on the list. Cancer risk also can be reduced via diet and exercise.

Diabetes is also either preventable or mitigated by diet and exercise.

I am pleased that pretty much I have food security at hand.

Austin’s post that suggested “growing food is like printing money” I think implies either serious consequences or mitigating serious economic and health risks.

Also biking is related to an eating disorder because eating is an important element of being an endurance athlete.Pretty much we bike to eat: two things that exaggerate pleasure and compliment each other.

Having a muscular build encourages weight loss. Pretty easy to shed weight because muscle bulk speeds up the metabolism. Even without exercise the muscle bulk burns calories. Strength has a bonus.

I need to do some Knotweeding. Also more lumberjacking. The firepit is small, and now I need to saw the cut wood into shorter sections. About half is good. EZ-PZ because I have my Milwaukee batter powered 7 inch chain saw.

I have two Canadian pallets that I can salvage free lumber to create a really nice planter for the dwarf spruce that is likely now root bound. If I have enough lumber I would like to build a large planter for over by the pergola. Pretty much this would be the seed to move the cut flower garden to the side yard.

Anyways the side yard cut flower garden would be kinda public. On the south side of the garage it pretty much is private and hidden away. Why not show it off and add curb appeal. Goes well with the pergola. The boxwoods we planted that were small are now needing a trimming. Pretty much they are now nearly hedges that are going to add privacy to the pergola.

I have two Home Cheapo Lilacs I bough years ago. What slow growers. We ended up buying a more mature Lilac for planting in our front backyard. I have a plot by the garden shed in the back backyard for the Home Cheapo lilacs.

The terracing continues…

Cal

Been busy reclaiming wood from a Canadian pallet. Goal is to build a large planter for a dwarf spruce.

Have to head to Home Cheapo to stock up on supplies. Need to do several trips because I don’t have the truck on the road.

The day started crisp, but now it’s T-shirt weather. I started pulling Knotweed. Comes up easily, no deep roots. Still have to down by the marsh grass.

I have the old lady (“Maggie”) inspired to go out and work. She is writing an article for the local newspaper currently.

It a kinda perfect day with the sun out to work outside.

Cal

Did some yard work, but I broke off and made multiple trips to Home Cheapo.

Right now and until April 28th there is a sale on mulch 5 bags for $10.00. Now is the time to load up the truck as they say and be mucho greedy.

Bought 4 bales of peat moss (3 cubic feet a piece); 12 bags of cow manure (1 cubic foot each bag); only 10 bags of mulch to start; and had to order three 4 cubic feet bags of Vermiculite.

Pretty much “Mel’s Mix” is one third compost; one third peat moss, and one third Vermiculite. I’m making 36 cubic yards.

“Maggie” fell for the raised bed on the driveway side yard, but didn’t nibble on the idea of a show-off garden. She does not have “Calzone-Factor.”

What did open up though was the idea of gardening the “Table” in the back-backyard which has a big southern exposure. Hmmm.

Of course this is a next year project…

Actually got a lot accomplished today.

Tomorrow a contractor will come by to do the final install of the rain shower head, this brass manifold, and the hand wand. We have had the parts for months and months, but of course we were frenzied with Maggie’s book production and publication.

Last night stayed up into the wee hours of the night practicing guitar. Pretty much transposing scales. I was expecting to be so beat today because I got up at my usual 6:00 AM without any alarm clock. I guess my playing was so relaxing that it prett much almost was a substitute for sleep. I might conk out early tonight though.

I am finding my playing advancing. Pretty much mucho smooth, articulate and more easily sustained for long periods. I can get lost in my playing. So relaxing.

Cal

Been about 3 1/2 years of home ownership, and it still is a work in progress. It has been a bit of an art project because the way we are doing things is a one and done. We are spending our money once and are paying up front for the longer term.

I have a friend who remodeled his kitchen when he also did an expansion. Now a decade later he is going to remodel the kitchen again. Basically he cheaped out on the cabinets.

The thing with our Baby-Victorian is that we kinda restored it back to 1912 and honored its history. The house came with good bones, but because it was a rental had not been remodeled since 1975. This house still had many original details and had not been HGTV’ed.

I love how we have hot water radiators and 40 windows even though it is a small house of only 1500 square feet. At dawn and dusk orange light enters the house to provide an uplifting glow. The view of our backyard is of a marsh, a brook, and a frog pond against a forested hilside to display a small valley.

Having a double lot means we have a real backyard. Peekskill is a City and homes are built on 40x100. We have a 40x200, corner lot, with no rear neighbor that borders public land right on the edge of the city.

We are also blessed with a southern exposure which is ideal for farming/gardening.

Even though we are in a city an hour’s train ride to Grand Central our home has a rural/country vibe.

My body is a bit sore and stiff from yesterday’s work. Not really in a rush hammering though, but enough to stay fit and strong. I actually feel refreshed.

Eventually things will get done. Our house likely would get voted the cutest on the avenue of only 13 houses. Our neighborhood is a maze of dead ends.

Cal

In the morning I performed stoop work pulling Knotweed in the marsh grass. The Knotweed is pretty weak and most came out root and all.

Very awkward wouldn’t in close quarters and on a slope. Not a bad day to do it and keeping my body covered even though it caused me to sweat was a good idea. Usually this is a real ugly job, but it was not so bad this spring.

Marty my contractor reports that he remains busy.

After Marty is done with the bathroom, I think I’ll go for a run and see what the old man can do today.

Cal

Back