New York NYC Journal

Have you noticed that my life is not so quiet?

Kinda loud and a lot to write about.

Having a boring life is hard if you are me.

Looking forward to plugging in.

Cal

Gold breached $2400.00.

Open was $2389.40.

Daily range $2388.60-$2418.20

Presently $2412.30.

Gold, silver, and real estate are the standards of “Hard Assets.”

Things in the Middle East and Ukraine don’t look good.

Now some analysts are saying gold to $3.5K.

Cal

100mm F3.9 Supracomar Plaubel Peco Junior Sawed Off Baggy Bellows by Nokton48, on Flickr

The 100mm F3.9 Plaubel Supracomar arrived from the Ukraine. The lens glass is clean and unmarked, the shutter is good and right on. It's got a patina but I like that :) Shown on my "Sawed-Off" Plaubel Peco Junior, with Peco Bag Bellows and Makina Style Back, with wonderful swiveling rear. I can see the entire screen with clarity and brightness. Love it. The Supracomar is focused at about three meters, so close-up. Leica-like quality from Peco Jr adds to my enjoyment. The view is very sharp, contrasty (not flary like the Anticomars), with a "plastic" like rendition really pleasing. I think the lens was calculated to cover 9x12cm, so I am only using the sweet smaller center of the optic. FANTASTIC rendition, love it. This will get some good use if spring ever gets here. Small enough to be used handheld, and I do have a digital back for this camera. Hmmm

Devil Cal,
I snagged this camera from Adorama for Seventy Bucks. Original Lensboard #0 hole worth $50. Baggy Bellows was $35 at CCG.

I was kinda banned from Adorama.

I bought a lot of stuff there, but one day I got hassled by the store manager because I also returned a lot of stuff.

A salesperson was helping me with my return and then called over the manager. Pretty much I had returned over $20K worth of used equipment over the years. The manager cited a computer record.

My comeback was, “I likely bought and kept about $40K worth of used gear, so what it the problem?” “Do you have a record of all the stuff I bought and kept?”

The I laid into him and turned up the aggression, pretty much the gear is sold untested, no batteries are supplied to check or operate a meter or camera, and this can only be performed outside the store at home. There is a reason for so many returns, and pretty much if he wants to create a hassle that in a moment I will get mighty angry and create a rather loud scene that will be might bad for business.

Then I threatened him, ”Do you know who you are fucking with?” “You have about 2 seconds to make a decision.” “Are you going to give me my money back or what?”

Pretty much I went into a full blown 1970”s NYC mode.

After that I avoided Adorama. Fug-em.

Cal

Last edited:
I've been there too. Usually about price, not returning stuff. Sometimes you can not argue with a brick wall. Good on You. LOL

I get pissed but eventually I go back and then I get rewarded. You've got the goods to prove it. Hard Assets Yeah! Buy low sell high (not ever selling here).

They get a lot of cheap merch

Devil Dan,

I kinda loaded up the truck. Can you imagine a guy like me with access and friends at both Adorama and B&H.

Adorama had a lot of low laying fruit back in the day, but certainly the quality went down. Eventually they just sold junk, broken everything.

Had a lot of lunch with mispricing at B&H. Got my Noct-Nikkor for $2.7K. Bought a 35/1.8 Nikkor in LTM for $1150.00.

Cal

I've gotten some great deals on mid modern Broncolor stuff there recently. Bought a mint Octobox 150 half new price, was good with that.

Bought a broken 50mm GX680 Fuji lens BROKEN LOL for $350. Ripped out the cells and put it in a mid modern WS Fuji Seiko Shutter. Dead ringer for the HAL9000 fisheye in 2001. Uber lens on 4x5 Sinar Norma.

So good for me in some few cases.

Hold on…

Gold $2433.80 up $61.10.

$2438.00 new Intra-Day High.

Oil $87.41 for Brent.

Meanwhile a “Red Screen” for the big indexes.

Inflation and wars… Eventually something is going to give.

Meanwhile I’m going out to DSW to buy some sneakers. I have a $10.00 of a $25.00 purchase, and a $20.00 off $99.00 purchase. I need sneakers like Vans or Pumas. I already have mucho trail sneakers like Merrill’s.

The coupon expires Sunday.

“Moo,” said the Pig.

Cal

I exploited the $10.00 off and bought a pair of cheap Vans that are grey and black suede. Got a bonus unclaimed rewards so the Vans cost me $46.00.

Good deal. I burn through footware fast.

Gold eased back from its big jump. Oil also settled back. To just under $87.00. The world is on edge. New higher highs though mean this run is not over. Hold onto hard assets and real estate. The big drop that could happen hasn’t happened yet. These 400-500 point drops on the DOW add up.

Guitar time…

Cal

Just got a package delivered from UPS from Franklyn, New York. This is a gift from a contestant’s partner who is named Gary who arguably should of won one of these Designer Competitions. So Gary’s partner sent “Maggie” this gift which is a book of these “Vignettes” he creates.

These are other friends we have in the Hudson Valley/ Catskills. We actually have not met yet, but sometime this summer we will get together. How cool is that?

No shortage of artists up here. What a wonderful life.

Back to guitar.

Cal

A pretty bad “Red Screen.” The DOW down now over 500 points.

Even Gold is now in the red after setting a new Intra Day high. This is a tippy market and unstable.

The worry is if Iran enters into a war, oil will almost immediately hit $100.00 a barrel, and then basically a sudden recession will happen. Expect a deep sell off in the markets as everyone goes to cash.

Remember that inflation is still persistent. Then add onto this an economic slowdown and by definition you have Stagflation, high inflation and a recession.

The FED basically can’t raise or lower rates without a bad income: it would either feed inflation by lowering rates; or make a recession deeper by raising rates. Perhaps standing pat might be the lesser of evil.

Also the world is such a mess that once bad things happen it kinda would require divine intervention to get back to something stable. IMHO pretty hard to undo once past a tipping point, and that trip wire is just ahead. Brace yourself…

“Maggie” opened the book from Gary’s partner. A very nice coffee table book titled “Sean Scherer’s Vignettes.” A very nice book. Wow. Beautiful and tasteful still life’s of all old stuff. Makes you want to buy an old commercial building upstate to use as a backdrop.

Pretty much what Gary and Sean did. A store, a studio, and a living space. Interesting friends who I have not even met yet. Perhaps a Hudson Valley/Catskills story… Pretty much Sean is a great curator.

Cal

Hudson is like an upstate version of Greenwich Village. Lots of artist and a mostly gay community.

No Metro North, but Amtrack stops there.

We will be heading up early to explore a bit before our meet up with a friend. Tonight is a literary event. So far no rain…

So many day trips… Very pleasant. I don’t miss the traffic, congestion and the crowds. In fact driving is fun.

Cal

Yesterday we drove up to Hudson early and got there by noon. The 80 mile drive north into Columbia County is about 34 miles from Albany, and about an hour and 10 minute drive. No traffic or congestion, pretty much 65 MPH in a 55 zone and passing many State Troopers.

Our early arrival allowed for us to tour around Warren Street. I unexpectedly bought a cool shirt and a black Cashmire Boc-A-La for that Ninja warmth. Very boutique. Both the shirt and head ware were made in the U.S. Kinda costly but not really mass produced or on the street you will see someone else wearing one.

At 2:30 we met up with Ala and Eugene. Ala was striking looking with light blond hair pulled back into a pony tail. From afar you could mistaken her as a pretty woman with delicate features and a shaved head that enhanced her femininity. She once was an Editor at GQ but is now retired, but the thing is that she was perhaps in her early 30’s. Don’t tell Maggie, but what a beauty.

Eugene identifies as a fashion journalist and once produced an independent print magazine. I would also say he is a cultural critic. We had very interesting elevated conversation in a restaurant that served delicious Italian food in tiny portions. We ate and talked taking in an early dinner.

The event at the Spotty Dog was at 6:30 PM. The Spotty Dog is a bar and a bookstore. How cool is that? We went to their apartment and continued our conversations.

At the Spotty Dog I met a woman who drove down from a town north of Saratoga. It was a nice turnout yet intimate.

The drive home was in darkness. The Taconic Parkway was like a long hilly driveway 60 miles long to Peekskill. I would hate the drive on a snowy day, but last night it was beautiful. The Audi A4 was made for roads like this, and coasting down hills and avoiding using any brakes was a nice balance that involved some high speeds on an open road.

Hudson is a City that we visited more than a year ago. Warren Street is a lot more developed, especially further east towards its beginning. A lot more shops and businesses, so many that we would have to go back and spend a day shopping.

I think Eugene and Ala intend on buying a home there. They are new refugees from Madhattan and only have inhabited Hudson for about 6 months.

A very rich and full day. As rich and full as any far away vacation, yet only about 80 miles drive away. Hudson is a place where the shops are only open on the weekends now, but in the tourist season the shops will stay open. The bars and restaurants are elevated, high ended, and lux.

Mucho artists…

Maggie asked if I had to choose between Woodstock and Hudson, which would I choose.

“Depends,” I said. If we had the money for a rural vacation home I would pick Woodstock for the retro hippy vibe. This meaning keeping our Peekskill home.

If we had to sell our Peekskill home then Hudson would be a nice replacement.

Across the river is a town called Catskill where you could buy a summer cottage for $99K. Hmmm. A local told us that the town closes early though, but Hudson is just across the Van Winkle Bridge. This is a viable idea to have Peekskill as a home base and a vacation cottage. Hmmm.

Not a bad life, still would have easy access to the city and great health care. Like I said, the best of both worlds.

Right now I’m living on only one pension and savings. Basically my retirement income is low, but in a little more than 3 years I’ll be 70 collecting Social Security and maybe my Grumman pension. I could afford to buy a modest vacation home.

Hmmm. Pretty much would be situated in the best of both worlds. This is the payoff for living below my means for decades and planning.

Cal

Last edited:
Monday’s market open could be a bloodbath and a serious “Red Screen.” Pretty much a flight to safety.

Will Israel have restraint or will it escalate after a big drone and missile attack from Iran?

Will gold get further traction and breach into new higher highs?

Will oil rocket to $100.00 and trigger a recession?

Anyways it is pretty unsafe out there right now and anything could happen.

Looks like a 47-68 degree day in Peekskill today. The sun shines so there is a bonus warmth for me. No excuses to go further with working on stripping moldings and working outside. I know I will feel good getting some work done and will have a sense of accomplishment.

There are cities along the Hudson River that interest me. Cities have sewers and natural gas. I love this infrastructure. Pretty much I also like having a down town as a convenience and a sense of community.

Kingston is a pretty big city that I would say has a vibe of district neighborhoods. Hudson has that Greenwich Village vibe, but the drive to Madhattan is about 2 1/2 hours or a long Amtrack ride from Hudson.

Point is there is much to explore. The Center For Photography in Woodstock relocated to Kingston. We have to check that out.

Pretty much don’t miss Madhattan and NYC. Ala and Eugene agree. The quality of life is better north of NYC.

Cal

Did you know that Adirondack State Park is somewhat immune to Global Warming.

Pretty much the headwaters of the Hudson River are there, and because of all the trees and forest the climate will remain stable.

NYC is predicted to be a huge “Heat Island” and pretty much air conditioning will be life support on days expected to exceed 100.

I would expect Peekskill to enjoy some moderation in temperature gain because of Bear Mountain State Park and the adjoining Harrimon State Park. Together they form a pretty vast wilderness. Know and understand that Adirondack State Park is the largest State Park in the lower 48 states.

Last night I explained to Liz-Beth that her home above Saratoga will be somewhat immune to Global Warming. Evidently the respiration of trees is a large enough of a micro climate to moderate Global Warming. Liz-Beth explained that she lives not far from the “Blue Line” which is the boundary of the park.

As the world becomes becomes more arid and desertification occurs and spreads, the Hudson Valley will be a bit of a sanctuary. Also know that cold air descends from the mountains. I learned this in New Mexico how the valleys became pockets of cold. Simple physics and gravity: cold air is more dense so it settles in the lowest cavities.

My spring in the southern end of Peekskill is weeks later than the northern end of Peekskill because I live in a valley within a valley. I’m about 75-80 feet above sea level depending on the tide. Full moon tide on the Hudson in Peekskill is about 6 feet. The water is brackish.

Don’t forget that two blocks away is the 1500 acre Blue Mountain Preserve. My Baby-Victorian is well situated.

BTW “Maggie” inquired about the woman who I was talking to. I was just minding my own business when she engaged me. Werrrrr.

Cal

Last edited:
I went outside at 10:00 AM to work in the sunshine. Muddy weather and a drizzle started near 1:00 PM.

Oh-well. Time to eat lunch anyways.

I think I might get back to restringing the Santa Cruz OM with lighter strings. I wonder if I will be able to embrace finger style. I already do pick and fingers, so not so much different. Finger style blues would be cool and serves well a solo player. The hard part is maintaining the alternating bass while playing. Could be cool.

It seems like “Maggie” has a cult following, and maybe unlikely she has a best seller. One thing I learned though is that there are a lot of women who are trying to figure out how to negotiate their lives. Don’t know if it is so try for men as women. Perhaps so, or maybe no.

My Dewalt plug in orbital sander has a dust collector that went south. I think I will upgrade to a Milwaukee M18 volt cordless version.

I still have the good part of this Sunday afternoon to exploit.

Cal

Somehow the Milwaukee orbital sander only cost me $129 when it should of been $149.

Computer error? Anyways the salesman who unlocked the storage area to get me the locked box rang me up. Pretty much a gift from heaven.

After hitting Trader Joe’s I got back to work stripping the moldings.

A productive day, but also relaxing. The expected rain was only a drizzle and then around 6:30 another drizzle. It’s after 7:00 now and it is raining.

The Hudson Valley has moody weather.

A pretty free week for me coming up. Looking forward to getting some work done.

Cal

Buying the dip is happening. Pretty much as if no missile or drone attack did not dampen, but that does not mean hostilities are over by any means.

Gold prices dip, and I figure other volatility in the markets means liquidity issues on down days is causing some forced selling to cover loses. Gold is still a hedge and the gold rally persists. Central Banks are hoarding gold as a hedge, and the geopolitical situation is worse. Pretty much a buying opportunity to buy gold when it dips to have as a hedge.

A 75 degree high is expected. A good day for a long run. Part of my leg, the IT band in my right leg got overly tight, but it is relaxed now. If it tightens up again I’ll have to foam roller my thigh. I hate this stretch. Pretty much a self inflicted deep tissue massage that has you putting a lot of body weight focused on the side of your thigh.

The tightness in the thigh partially is from too much sitting, and partially from the strain of running down hill. Ideally I need to strengthen my legs so this condition does not happen. Getting rid of rust is always hard in the beginning…

Cal

Don’t tell anyone, but my secret for finest grain is to minimize agitation. Instead of the recommended 3 inversions, I only do two gentle inversions. Kinda more like stand development is my method.

Cal

Grain is not a function of agitation, which is a proven fact more than 100 years ago.

O,

I specify this with only Diafine. This is a two stage developer that has a profound compensating effect.

Part “A” is a soak where very little development happens. Part “B” could be looked upon as an activator.

Know that Diafine is a very strong developer and the times for Tri-X is 3+3. Pretty much almost all the development happens with Part “B” meaning in only 3 minutes.

I beg to differ with the hundred year history you report. I have the negatives to prove it. In fact I have thousands of rolls of Tri-X to display mu point.

I don’t otherwise disagree with your report.

Also know that development is so aggressive, that my minimizing agitation is only to prevent streaking, and pretty much I’m trying to slow down development by kinda simulating a stand development.

Cal

Back