New York NYC RFF Meet-up wants to help fellow RFF member Phil_F_NM

....it's only a matter of time before I wind up with an F2AS. That was inevitable a decade ago but this may have hastened the purchase to sometime later this year.

Nice! Another $15 trickled in today... somehow. I'll send it to you later. :)

Cal,
Thanks, though I'm pretty sure I'm working that day. Getting a Sunday off at my job is nearly impossible. I can head into town one day and maybe catch lunch with you up by MSK. My friend Chris works right across the street, perhaps we three could grab lunch. Otherwise, I can meet you most anywhere in the city but it will have to be on one of my days off, usually Thursdays.
Thank you very much!

Phil Forrest

Maybe I'am too late here but if possible skip the 85mm 1.4 AIS and go for the AF-D version. The optics are different and the AF-D is in my book much better than the manual focus lens. The price differential can't be too great (I think)

Cal,
Thanks, though I'm pretty sure I'm working that day. Getting a Sunday off at my job is nearly impossible. I can head into town one day and maybe catch lunch with you up by MSK. My friend Chris works right across the street, perhaps we three could grab lunch. Otherwise, I can meet you most anywhere in the city but it will have to be on one of my days off, usually Thursdays.
Thank you very much!

Phil Forrest

Phil,

Work does not offer me the flexibility to have a scheduled lunch. I tend to work through lunch and leave early. Most days I leave at either 3:30 or 4:00. This Friday is bad. Call me to set up a time that's good for you.

Cal

Maybe I'am too late here but if possible skip the 85mm 1.4 AIS and go for the AF-D version. The optics are different and the AF-D is in my book much better than the manual focus lens. The price differential can't be too great (I think)

I love the lens for the build quality as well and my contact whom I'm getting the 85mm AIS from has offered it to me for an extremely low price. The AFd version usually runs about $1000. This is much less. Plus, I believe in manual lenses and I believe in my ability with them. I like autofocus sometimes but I'm not a sports shooter and after putting that screen in my last D2Hs I saw how inaccurate AF can be when focus is critical with a fast lens. Plus, AF doesn't ever take into account what I have in my mind's eye for composition of DOF preference.

And I could use the lens to total a car or as a defensive weapon if I ever had the need to. It's almost the same as the Noct Nikkor which is a fearsome, dense bludgeon that makes beautiful photos.

And, Pramodh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Phil Forrest

I was busy volunteering/shooting portriats for a non-profit organization in the last few days, and thus late to this. Sorry to hear, Phil but so glad to see fellow RFF'ers stepped up, especially John G. I will follow that link that you have for Operation Smile, another great cause. But, do let me know how I can assist you and Jane as well.

John

And I could use the lens to total a car or as a defensive weapon if I ever had the need to. It's almost the same as the Noct Nikkor which is a fearsome, dense bludgeon that makes beautiful photos.

Phil Forrest

My F3P with MD-4 motordrive and Noct-Nikkor can be an effective weapon. Never had to use it, but clearly presents itself as a de-tur-ent, especially when secured to my right hand with an AH-4 hand strap.

Another MF lens to consider: 105/1.8 AIS.

Cal

I love the lens for the build quality as well and my contact whom I'm getting the 85mm AIS from has offered it to me for an extremely low price. The AFd version usually runs about $1000. This is much less. Plus, I believe in manual lenses and I believe in my ability with them. I like autofocus sometimes but I'm not a sports shooter and after putting that screen in my last D2Hs I saw how inaccurate AF can be when focus is critical with a fast lens. Plus, AF doesn't ever take into account what I have in my mind's eye for composition of DOF preference.

And, Pramodh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Phil Forrest

oh oh now your going to get Cal started!! :D. In anycase this was really a RFF community effort phil. All the credit should go to John for organizing and handling everything. It's good to see you sounding positive and (dare I say it) "GASsy" again

Lens search is back on.
I answered a Craigslist ad for a 20 & 24mm lens then upon inspection, found a 3mm scratch in the middle of the rear element, and the seller wouldn't budge on price so we parted ways.

Phil Forrest

Another update:

Another update:

A few days ago, I thought both of my cameras had popped up at Adorama since a D2x and a D2Hs appeared in their catalog at the same time. The D2Hs is rather uncommon on the used market so I thought I'd take a look.
I got to the shop and the serial numbers were so close I had to double check but the D2Hs was not my camera.
Anyway, I bought it, with a warranty for the same amount I got my last one.
I needed a camera for a shoot I'm doing this weekend for a magazine here in NYC. Just some product/promo work but it pays well and I'll be published just a bit more.
So, the camera that was coming from another contact is on hold but I still am getting the 85mm f/1.4 AIS, a lens that I have dreamed about owning for probably 20 years.
Last week, I found a 24mm f/2 AI with the help of RFF member benmacphoto and it's a great lens. I picked it up 2 days ago in south Jersey on my way to Philly for doctor appointments at the VA. I'm impressed. That's going to be my go-to lens.
Yesterday, I scored a 15mm f/2.8 Sigma fisheye to replace the 14mm that was stolen but I'm thinking that I don't like the fisheye distortion. I can correct in post but that's another step. Regardless, I'll give the lens a chance but it might just not "click" with me and I'll let it go.
Thanks to everyone here again, and again for all your support and encouragement!

Phil Forrest

Back