Illinois October/November 2012 Meetup

I will be getting into town rather early. Tentative plans include going to the art institute and wandering around shooting........ does anyone want to get together before noon?

Darn!! Had I checked the forum earlier I would have planned something... And I would have taken with the really nice M5 Dan sold me about two years ago. :) Enjoy the whole thing!!

Well, that was fun. :) We basically flash-mobbed Tamarkin Camera, now based in Chicago's River North, for three full hours. Attendees were Jan, Tony, Sam, Don and myself. MIA were Marc, Francisco and the ever-elusive Ken Ford. The new owner Dan Tamarkin (son of Stan) was amazingly knowledgeable of all things Leica, including the vintage era. The selection of used gear - classic and modern - was presented in a glittering array. Dan was a model host and generously invited hands-on inspection of the stock (some of it quite dear). My broken M4 was submitted for repair, and is being forwarded to DAG. This store is clearly a mecca for all things Leica - the sole camera brand represented - and will certainly get my business.

Some of us then repaired to a neighboring S/B for coffee, and further conversation. One day we'll actually do some shooting, I'm sure! Looking forward to a next meeting... perhaps in a snowstorm.

Yes, lots of Leica goodies ( even a lens or two that captured my Leica-neutral eye... ).

Some of us then repaired to a neighboring S/B for coffee, and further conversation. One day we'll actually do some shooting, I'm sure! Looking forward to a next meeting... perhaps in a snowstorm.

That would be pretty cool - a snowy Chicago day, go out shooting, then relax in a bar/bistro for a little bite and a libation.

I had a great time ..... saw several things that are now on my wish list.... bought a Leica #14405 side grip for my M4-p from KEH today (is that the same as the one you have Sam?)
Dan was wonderful and is a great asset to have so close by.

It was a great time - I think we actually stood around the holy glass cases for 3 uninterrupted hours!

Don - I have used the GMP grips and the 14405 grip. The first version GMP and the 14405 worked best for me - because I found it easier to remove the base plate with both of those. I was using the digital version of the 14405 yesterday (along with a Thumbie on the back). That combo has the absolute rock steadiest grip you can imagine.

Sorry I had to cut out early. It was nice seeing everyone again and visiting Dan Tamarkin. I really wish I had time to peruse the other galleries in the building too.

And I agree...let's see if we can burn some rolls next time. Whaddya say?

two things that really stood out for me was how quiet the shutter was on Rico's Contax T3 and most of all Sam's lens hood that you could change the f stops on the SM Elmar with. What a elegant solution to the thing I dislike most about those lenses.

Also spent the day doing the math trying to figure someway I could swing that titanium M6,
I know it would not help my photography but that lens was so purty

I was unable to attend due to kid sports events. I look forward to the next get together

(inbox now cleaned up)

two things that really stood out for me was how quiet the shutter was on Rico's Contax T3 ...
The T3 shutter is indeed quiet, but the camera I brought was the original T which is a different kind of beast with true optical RF and manual wind on. The T3 is a fully motorized P&S. They both have a leaf shutter that helps with quietness. I enjoy them both. :)

Back