New York October PhotoPlusExpo

Please see the Tour de Bronx thread.

TDB will be held the Sunday after PhotoPlusExpo/NYC October Meet-Up.

25 miles or the 40 mile ride choice. I will warn you that the 40 mile ride has the hills of Riverdale near the end.

Last year I rode to and from and did the 40 mile on my Ti IBIS single speed.

A very colorful way to see the Bronx. This year it will be a "Bike and Shoot."

Cal

The work of being a Fashion Blogger's photographer is never done. After work today I have to shoot for some brand that needs to be posted tomorrow.

Yesterday a box of clothes from this brand came, but they were the wrong size. A second box came today with the right size (smaller). These clothes will all have to be returned, but "Maggie" gets to keep the shoes.

I only found out via an e-mail this afternoon that there is a deadline. It seems that much of the world of fashion is all at the last minute. I really hate this.

Cal

I will be there on Saturday for a little while. I don`t want to waste too much time there though since I leave the next day.

I will be there on Saturday for a little while. I don`t want to waste too much time there though since I leave the next day.

John,

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be on the lookout. Also know that I understand how valuable your time is.

All the best.

Cal

John,

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be on the lookout. Also know that I understand how valuable your time is.

All the best.

Cal

It`ll be good to see you, so I will try to contact you a few days before the event so I get to see you. I`m sure we will both be there early.

It`ll be good to see you, so I will try to contact you a few days before the event so I get to see you. I`m sure we will both be there early.

John,

I'll be there at the badge pickup before they open the exhibition hall. Expect other people you know to be there too.

I miss the old days. Hope all is well with you. With me I have a lot of things evolving. I think you will be surprised on how much I have grown.

Cal

Yes John, Cal is growing up into a fine young man.. :p

Fidel,

It does seem like a big regression as I age. I feel like I'm 18 again and in High School. Back then Coach Rowen called me, "A screw-up."

It was a confusing time where I knew I had to get things together, mistakes were to be avoided because they would impact the rest of my life, and pretty much I wondered what I will do for the next four or more decades that lay ahead.

So now at 61 3/4'ers I'm in the same space. I have some important decisions to make that impact my future, I'm trying to avoid big mistakes, and I wonder what I will be doing over the next 4 decades or more as I plan out my retirement.

Respectfully I think Coach Rowen today still would call me a "Screw-Up." LOL. Back then and now I really don't fit in. I can't really argue that I screwed around a lot, and I'm still screwing around. LOL.

BTW Coach Rowen laughed when he called me a screw-up. Basically he liked me and thought I had potential. I was a really smart kid and my friends called me "Spock," "Doctor" and "Professor;" but even back then I was a lazy slacker.

Cal

John,

I'll be there at the badge pickup before they open the exhibition hall. Expect other people you know to be there too.

I miss the old days. Hope all is well with you. With me I have a lot of things evolving. I think you will be surprised on how much I have grown.

Cal

Yes, all is well with me. Oh course still photographing a lot in Santiago and that`s going well. I will see you there and we will catch up. Maybe grab some lunch.

Yes, all is well with me. Oh course still photographing a lot in Santiago and that`s going well. I will see you there and we will catch up. Maybe grab some lunch.

John,

All great. I'll bring my CL with 23 Cron. I'll leave the grip at home. LOL.

Back in high school there were a group of us that self identified as "Derr-A-licks." Pretty much a bunch of misfits.

Kinda funny that at my 40th year High School reunion that I was a standout who really lived an interesting life wandering around. My classmates never went too far. They kinda lived in their suburban bubbles, and in fact many lived in the surrounding towns or nearby Valley Stream.

I think you would love my "Monster Workbook" made of my prints, but it is kinda heavy. Pretty much I use a handtruck to bring it to Meet-Ups. LOL.

You know me... Ha-Ha.

Cal

SMUT: Our friend Raj is part of two exhibitions.

"Harbor In The Mist" will be at the Bushwick Community Darkroom's Open Studio Gallery Show at 49 Wyckoff Avenue, Brooklyn. Exhibition dates are Septmber 20th 2:00-8:00PM, September 21st 12:00-8:00PM and September 22d 12:00-8:00 PM.

Three photographs titled "Work" will be exhibited at the Lillian E. Kraemer Art Gallery, Turtle Bay Music School, 330 East 38th Street, Madhattan. Opening reception September 21st 4:00-6:00 PM (RSVP by September 20th to Kristen@ tbms.org). Exhibition dates September 21, 2019-January 5th, 2020.

Congrates to Raj for getting his work out there.

Cal

Cool...that would be great. I'd love to see the book sometime. Perhaps I can visit your apartment one day to see it.

John,

Just be aware that my apartment is like one big woman's wardrobe. You might get crushed by shoes or pocketbooks.

Probably safer If I bring you to the "Community Room" where you might not get injured.

We have had clothing racks tip over. The perils of living dangerously in NYC. LOL.

I think you will see your influence in my book.

I can also teach you how I performed this feat. You might want to do something similar. Basically a book made of prints. Landrew pointed out that its design allows pages to lay flat. The image size is about 12x18 on 17x22 sheets. I use screw posts and made a hard cover.

Pretty much engineered as if Christian made it. Kinda re-dick-U-lass though because of the scale I made it. A book of "Proofs" that will be larger will be coming. The workbook is a prototype/mockup to help me gear up to print limited editions.

Cal

So in this week's episode of the "Accidental Fashion Photographer" I had to shoot "Maggie" after work for a brand. Pretty straight forward you would think.

Maggie gets dressed and all these hang tags remain on the pants, shirt and coat. Basically I learn that all the clothing has to be returned the very next day and that all the tags cannot be removed or else Maggie will have to pay for them.

So basically I have to somehow conceal, mask, disguise these hang tags spackeled all over the place. Know that Maggie is not patient. Took lots of shot to get "clean" photos that hid all the tags. Pretty much I learned a new skill.

Plan "B" is do spot healing in post and hope for the best. You know me: I'm a lazy slacker. No Plan "B" this time.

So not so easy.

Sometime soon I expect an electric bike to be delivered for some gig. I forwarded the registration for the Tour-de-Bronx which I think is a cool event thinking that she might be adventurous, and also thinking it would be a very cool backdrop for some shots. Oh-well.

Tried to secure an APO 35 Cron-SL by using the card with the magic numbers. I have GAS pretty bad. At the November Meet-Up I'll show the files from when I borrowed it at Photoville.

This APO lens kills and creates mucho depth. The infocus has this enhanced contrast and punch, meanwhile the OOF is retro smooth. F2.0 wide open has new meaning.

Cal

CSI East Harlem: Today just outside my building I found a fresh corpse: a dead rat. The one I reported last week that was "Pancaked" seems like has evaporated or crushed into the asphalt.

This newly dead corpse was fresh with it's eyes wide open. Likely poisoning is the cause of death. I wish I had chalk to outline the body. I expect to to see a fresh "rat pancake" on my walk home today.

101st Street I was told at one time was black on my side of the street, and across the street it was Italian. My neighbor Tony, a black man, tells me as a kid he couldn't cross the street. For protection he had to hang out in a gang to avoid getting jumped. Then the Puerto Ricans moved in...

Down the block is "Sunshine Park" which remains in shadows of old tenement buildings. Tony said that there use to be tenement buildings there, one caught fire, and then the fire spread to another. Both buildings were demolished and then became this park where pretty much people walk their dogs. In other words kids don't play there.

Just around the corner is a halfway house that use to be called "The Parole Transition Institute" but they changed the name to disguise the institution. The men that hang out on Third Avenue and 101st are all ex-felons. When I walk past them I say hi to some of them.

Also on the corner of Third Avenue and 101st is a the "Church of the Holy Agony." What a crazy name.

A block south is East 100th Street, the famous block where Bruce Davidson documented the poverty that existed there in 1969 with an 8x10 view camera.

Welcome to my neighborhood.

Cal

Yesterday I was walking along, minding my own business, when I saw "Maggie" on an electronic billboard on a bus shelter of Fifth Avenue in the upper 40's.

Maggie also showed me some images of full blown billboards in L.A. for "Kate Shovel" that some of her followers forwarded to her.

On Saturday we went to Photoville. I actually got to see the exhibitions. I think about 3 years ago was the best one. This years seemed toned down, less political, and perhaps a bit sensored compared to others.

Cal

Feeling like a Jet-Setter. "Maggie" sent me a link to set up an account to earn "Skymiles."

Pretty much this is a bonus for going on a free luxury vacation that begins in Amsterdam, stops in several cities via the Rhine River, and somehow I end up in Switzerland.

I want to secure an APO 35 Cron-L to have a wide for this trip.

Cal

"Maggie" has two trips planned back to back, and I'll have the opportunity to change the dampers on my Epson 7800. I have the service manual, and will review the U-Tube videos.

It is suggested that it is a 3 hour job the first time, and thereafter a half hour job. My 7800 clogs easily and develops banding and intermmitent clogs. When dampers which filter out solids get full the above problems come about.

Early on when this first occured I put the printer into storage mode loaded with Piezoflush and it seemed to irradicate and desolve any buildup for a lenthy amount of time, but now that trick no longer works.

I bought OEM Epson dampers, and avoided the cheap Chinese clones. Set me back over $300.00 for the parts alone. Understand that I bought this 7800 when it was 9-10 years old for $100.00. The printer over that period was gently used and only made 1805 prints before I owned it.

I have a goal this winter of printing heavily. I have a large stockpile of paper and ink to burn through. Pretty much I don't want it to shelf life. At this level I'm using 17 inch and 24 inch rolls and not cut sheets.

Pretty much I got a fresh printer, but then over the course of a few years I used the machine heavily.

I'll likely see if I can visit my guitar friends out on Lawn-Guy-Land perhaps Saturday.

Cal

Back