Hong Kong Off to Hong Kong and Beijing - Any pointers?

Shelley-Ann

Girl Wonder
Local time
4:26 PM
Hey!

I'm traveling to Hong Kong in about a week. I'll be spending about 5 days there, and another 5 in Beijing. I just have a couple of questions, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

What is street shooting like in both cities? Are they cool with it (as long as you ask)?

Can anyone recommend some good (reputable) camera stores in HK? I wouldn't mind sourcing out some Nikon gear.

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend some places that were 'off the beaten track' in HK (if there are any left).

Thanks in advance!
Shelley

Hongkong is very photogenic and photo-friendly, there's probably more camera there than the rest of Asia combined. Lots of things to shoot on the streets, do hang around in Lan Kwai Fong at night, it's pure awesomeness.

The most reputable place for gear is Tin Cheung @ 6B Carnarvon Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. If you're into vintage (expensive) stuff then there's Champagne Court on Kimberley Road, which is about 5 mins walk from Tin Cheung.

If you're into chocolate I've been to a really really nice place in Central but I need to find the address first ;)

Hi Shelley,

Generally speaking, there's no problem taking street photos here in HK. The rule the members of our club follow is "take the photo first and then ask permission" or beat a retreat! Often, if you ask permission, you will be waved away or the element that you were looking for in the shot has changed. So, we often set up a shot with one member preparing for the shot (setting speed, aperture, scale focus, etc.) while another member blocks the view of the proposed subject matter. When the shot is ready, the member who's been covering the photographer simply steps aside and "click" - it's captured.

For shopping for Nikon equipment, I go to Kinefoto on Stanley Street in Central on Hong Kong island. They have competitive prices and international warranties. There are stores on Kowloon side if you're staying over there.

There are many old neighborhoods in Hong Kong to visit for street scenes. I like the market streets in Sheung Wan, which isn't far from Central. There are also many cool neighborhoods in Kowloon, including night markets.

We often meet and greet visitors and take them about for a shoot and dinner, so if you're interested in company, let us know!

Hope that helps.

Adrian (aka Mr Ho)

Beijingers are notoriously rude (even, or perhaps especially known for it among Chinese people) but I was never hassled, although I did get a number of gawkers whenever I brought out the Seagull and tripod. There's a really big combination photography/fashion market about a 15 minute walk north of Wukesong subway station that's definitely worth a look. The majority (when I was there, about two and a half years ago) was old film stuff. There are some decent deals to be had, particularly older Russian and Chinese-made stuff.

I always had a great time in HK and BJ (as they're often called). The great thing about HK is that you really can't get a boring shot. BJ is a bit large, and I found that the best time to shoot was early in the a.m. on a weekday when people were on their way to work.

In HK, if you look like a western tourist, be careful about carrying a backpack. The wife of my boss was surrounded by a bunch of teens on one of the walkways. One of them sliced open her backpack and stole her wallet. By the time she got the card canceled 20 minutes later, the thieves had charged hundreds of dollars at electronics stores.

In my 30 months in HK, I never had a single problem, but I was always aware of who was behind me. Or at least I tried to stay aware -- just as you should do in any big city.

In general, there is very little crime against westerners, and most of it is petty theft, as I mentioned above.

It's a wonderful city and well worth the time to visit. I would return in a heartbeat.

...So, we often set up a shot with one member preparing for the shot (setting speed, aperture, scale focus, etc.) while another member blocks the view of the proposed subject matter. When the shot is ready, the member who's been covering the photographer simply steps aside and "click" - it's captured...

Fantastic, visualising a group doing this amusing me no end... :p

Beijing is also certainly an endless source for street/documentary photography - Ive lived there a few years back. The real issues you will likely face in visiting for 5 days is getting comfortable shooting in a very different environment/culture, realising and feeling comfortable about where you can actually go and language barriers.

My advice in both cities, echos Mr Ho's, in that if you are thinking about asking permission to take a shot you will end up with little to show for.

Some are suspicious as to why you're taking their photograph and react...

463984278_8ce902409c.jpg

Others don't care what you do...

296841526_03ced7673d.jpg

Enjoy your trip...

Looks like you're shooting film.
When I was preparing to go to China in the early 90s, frequent travelers there warned me that I should expect 2 stops less light during the day than on a clear day in the US, making the rule of f16, f8 instead. I found that to be true in Beijing and some other cities; so I was well warned and had brought more 400 speed film than I would have otherwise. Don't remember that being true in HK and it looks like you have more current HK advice available anyhow. Don't know what has happened to light in BJ since.

I was in Beijing last month for a week and it was the hottest week of the month. There's plenty of sun and I probably will take 1 stop less at the most. But there might be days that are cloudy or hazy. I agree there's a lot to shoot during morning rush hours.

I seconded Mr. Ho's way of "shoot before you ask" in Hong Kong as you'll loss a lot of opportunities if you go the other way round.

There are 2 or 3 camera stores on Stanley Street in Central but I usually go to Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) for used stuff. Champagne court (4-5 shops in there) and Tin Cheung as previously mentioned; I also added Shogun Camera and Francisco Photo.

The DUTY FREE, TAX FREE camera shops I will certainly AVOID.

Have a nice trip.

Cheers,
Dennis

Attached photos taken in Forbidden City.

637114573_TTwLp-M.jpg

637114600_KkgER-M.jpg

I recommend you set aside one day for Macau. Its Portuguese heritage is reflected in the architecture which I am sure you will successfully incorporate in your street photography. And the food is absolutely marvelous, and cheap too. You can shoot in HK for days. The environment is so diverse here. There are old districts where buildings are pretty much preserved and remain colorful such as YMT and Western, etc and of course the financial district with its designer architecture. You can spend a whole day just visiting the temples. The islands are especially interesting and transquil; there are no cars on the islands and only accessible and quite easily by ferry. Look up one of the HK RRF members. I would skip the camera shopping as you can find better and cheaper stuff in the States.

I recommend you set aside one day for Macau. Its Portuguese heritage is reflected in the architecture which I am sure you will successfully incorporate in your street photography. And the food is absolutely marvelous, and cheap too. You can shoot in HK for days. The environment is so diverse here. There are old districts where buildings are pretty much preserved and remain colorful such as YMT and Western, etc and of course the financial district with its designer architecture. You can spend a whole day just visiting the temples. The islands are especially interesting and transquil; there are no cars on the islands and only accessible and quite easily by ferry. Look up one of the HK RRF members. I would skip the camera shopping as you can find better and cheaper stuff in the States.

I agree with all of Ray's point. Skip the shopping and go to Macau, it is an amazing place!!

I had a lot of fun shooting photos in Hong Kong, where I stayed was not the best place to get photos but anywhere you go on the MTR there is opportunities. By the way, where I stayed in Causeway Bay was great, cheap, and it was easy to get around from there.

I had a lot of fun shooting photos in Hong Kong, where I stayed was not the best place to get photos but anywhere you go on the MTR there is opportunities. By the way, where I stayed in Causeway Bay was great, cheap, and it was easy to get around from there.
This is bringing back lots of memories: I was in HK for 6 months at the time of the handover in '97 and one month on, one month off for the next couple of years. I often stayed in Causway Bay (at the Excelsior) and it is close to my favourite seafood restaurant anywhere (except maybe one place in Singapore): the Szechuan Lau in Causeway bay. If it is still there, and you like spicy seafood, I'd suggest checking it out. Lan Kwai Fong at night, if you like nightlife (for photography or participation), is probably a good recommendation (though the countdown to the handover probably produced an ambiance that can't be repeated).

Going up to the Peak is probably a very touristy trope: but there's a reason for that and it's probably worth your while.

There really is so much to do: Macau is a good suggestion, the Ladies Market and Bird Market are worth checking out; a trip to Lantau is worthwhile - etc. etc.

The trouble, of course, is that you only have 5 days. Rather than taking a list and trying to cross everything off you might be better giving yourself some "just walking around" time. There are always things to see and do - and photograph, but make sure you experience rather than treat everything as a photo-op.

...Mike

Beijingers are notoriously rude (even, or perhaps especially known for it among Chinese people) but I was never hassled, although I did get a number of gawkers whenever I brought out the Seagull and tripod. There's a really big combination photography/fashion market about a 15 minute walk north of Wukesong subway station that's definitely worth a look. The majority (when I was there, about two and a half years ago) was old film stuff. There are some decent deals to be had, particularly older Russian and Chinese-made stuff.

Perhaps they are, I don't know, but I agree with you there's seldom any trouble. There are interesting neighborhoods everywhere. Take a walk from the Drum tower east on Dongzhimenwai Daijie, and walk into the smaller streets from there to find interesting scenes, for example.

As for shopping, the market in Wukesong is good, with lots of old stuff and most modern Canon/Nikon/whatever things you'd like.

There's also another market in Maliandao (sometimes called "tea street"). On the forth floor of the building to the right of the Carrefour store is a cluster of camera shops. Not quite as big as Wukesong, but cleaner. I found lots of old film cameras there, from Olympus XAs to Leicas. Strangely enough, I found very little film...

If you need more details, send me a message. I live in BJ since 2006.

This is bringing back lots of memories ... I often stayed in Causeway Bay (at the Excelsior) and it is close to my favourite seafood restaurant anywhere (except maybe one place in Singapore): the Szechuan Lau in Causeway bay. If it is still there, and you like spicy seafood, I'd suggest checking it out.

Sorry to say, Mike, but Szechuan Lau on Lockhart Road closed its doors back in 2003, a victim of SARS perhaps. I, too, loved that place and mourned its closing after a long and venerable history (I think it had been around for about 40 years). To my delight, it re-opened last year in much smaller, humbler surroundings over on Wanchai Road, and I went several times, but then that, too, closed a few months ago, probably due to location, high rents and the financial crisis. Sigh. I now have to trek to TST for good Szechuan fare.

Wow, what a response! thanks for being so helpful, guys! I feel more relaxed about my trip now. Mr. Ho: thanks for the offer - I'll be contacting you soon!
Shelley

Wow, what a response! thanks for being so helpful, guys! I feel more relaxed about my trip now. Mr. Ho: thanks for the offer - I'll be contacting you soon!
Shelley

Hi Shelley, I am Dingo, sorry for the late reply, I hope you see this before you fly. If you check out the Kong Kong Photo Club you see me all the time. Like Mr. Ho I am willing to offer my spare time to you, I am a teacher, will be free after 5:00pm each school day, PM me if you want to for any assistance or information.

BTW, there may be a chance I join the Launch party of M9 here in HK at 9/9/09!!!

Hey. I'm in HK now and lovin' it! RayT: you were right about the prices. I think they are actually closer to Canadian prices or even higher in some cases.. scary.

If anyone wants to meet up, let me know. I'm off to Macau tomorrow, but Ill be free for two days after that.

Back