OK, I *think* I have a Contax III here...

This is the collapsible 50/2, correct? Those take 40.5mm filters, not really that hard to find at all. More common than something like a 43mm or 48mm for sure. Should be plenty of used ones out there; maybe some folks here have surplus ones?
Yes, it's a collapsible 50/2. I shall have a rummage on ebay, though if anyone should offer me a spare one I doubt I will say no.... Thank you, Nick!

ETA plenty out there on ebay, though I still wouldn't say no to a nice period chrome/nickel one at the right price.

Last edited:
Not the greatest of pics, but they will do until I can do some proper glamour shots. I'm not sure I have any tasteful period props, mind... It might just be a plain "camera, on backdrop" shot!

Refurbished back by gray1720, on Flickr

Refurbished front by gray1720, on Flickr
That's quite lovely. :D

Part of the joy of owning/using these old cameras is how pretty they are and how lovely the precision machinery they're made of is. The fact that when they're in good shape they make very lovely photos is icing on the cake.

My own classic obsession is the Kodak Retina IIc circa 1954ish. I have three of them, all now restored and refurbished to like new condition, and they make photos every bit as lovely as what I get out of my much more modern Leica M4-2. They're not quite as versatile or precise with the rangefinder, but it really doesn't matter much if you're mostly shooting with a 50mm lens.

I'm finally recovered enough from that bleepin' accident last October that I can think about making photographs again. I've GOT to get out with the cameras again soon!

G

Your Retinas probably also weigh about the same put together as this, it's a tank! The Retinas are jewel-like, and I have two (earlier) ones myself. If you do Facebook, there is a Retina and Retinette Camera Lovers group, which is a nice place to hang out for Retina fans.

Thanks! I'll take a look, although I try not to hang out on line in too many forums these days. RFF and Leica Users are my primaries.. :)

G

About Filters, Walz made nice little set of 3 screw-in filters marked "For Sonnar" in a blue clamshell case.
I have one of those and I guess those would be relatively cheaper then the Zeiss ones.

You guys would know... how easy is it to find filters for this lens? A yellow one would do me, unless they are stupidly hens teeth/costly.
This is what I use on mine on my Collapsible Sonnar (adjusted for my Nikon S2.). I usually only us a hood when it's on my Amedeo/Leica M 240 combo.

Tiffen 4058Y2 40.5mm 8 Yellow 2 Filter

I'm interested in peoples' thoughts about Tiffen filters. The link provided to Amazon indicates the filter is multicoated, but every Tiffen I have seen or owned is not labeled as being coated, and I never see the telltale color in reflections off the surface of the filter indicating at least single coating.

So -- are they in fact coated?

My preference would be for a Hoya HMC or (more expensive) Heliopan or B+W.

Honestly, I've no clue about it. I do know that over the years I've used many inexpensive Tiffen filters and never had any trouble with them and find no need to spend more except when I can't get what I need from them. Bay 1 forex. Your mileage will, of course, vary.

The beast now sports a yellow filter off ebay (cheap, as it what was available in time for my holiday), is loaded up with Fomapan 100, and is off to the English Lake District with me in the next couple of hours.

Those Walz filter sets look great but flip me the postage from the US is expensive!

I hear you on shipping cost from across the pond. Not to mention import duty and administrative fees for the pleasure.
Shipping just across the channel ain't fun either.

I also shot a roll of Fomapan 100 with one of my Contax II cameras this last weekend with a 50/2 Sonnar on it, and a Walz Y2 filter.

Sadly, the cost of shipping across the channel is our fault on this side for being credulous.
Worse if you are in Ireland. Expensive from every side. The used market here is very small, so buying from the UK was very convenient. Now its silly expensive to buy even a basic filter or lens hood, you end up paying more in shipping and customs tax than the thing is worth. Sorry for the OT!

I started the OTness, so I can hardly complain. I guess it feels a bit better knowing that someone else had been stiffed by it, but that's definitely schadenfreude. Something tells me I won't ever get that Flexaret I fancied.

Right Contax IIIs, shot a few frames yesterday, but the weather today has been rancid. I'm not Capa, I'm not getting it wet if I can help it.

Back