OK Nikon, Where is the Nikon Mirrorless ?????

OK Nikon management, where is Nikon's version of the best mirrorless camera?

What is the problem? Why is that camera not already on dealer shelves?

How hard can it be for Nikon to put this together right insead of wasting corporate time and money on foolish new products that don't sell?

1) Sony's latest and best FF sensor
2) modify sensor so it will perform well with rangefinder lenses
3) 100% compatibility with Nikon's wonderful flash system
4) 100% compatibility with all Nikon F lenses including AF via adapter
5) New wide throat G mount (G comes after F)
6) Rotating extendable super hi res LCD panel
7) Higher resolution EVF than any other camera
8) built in wifi to smart phones, pads, computers

Nikon fans are waiting - get on it already!

How many of these would really sell? With those specs, you'd be at Leica SL prices.

1) Sony's latest and best FF sensor
2) modify sensor so it will perform well with rangefinder lenses
3) 100% compatibility with Nikon's wonderful flash system
4) 100% compatibility with all Nikon F lenses including AF via adapter
5) New wide throat G mount (G comes after F)
6) Rotating extendable super hi res LCD panel
7) Higher resolution EVF than any other camera
8) built in wifi to smart phones, pads, computers

How many of these would really sell? With those specs, you'd be at Leica SL prices.

I agree.

I would suggest:

#2 sounds wonderful but VERY expensive, forget it.

#5, forget about it, stick with the F

#6, seems problem prone over the years. Make an option that adds an extended battery pack and an fancy LCD like #6, perhaps it even has extra slots for memory cards. It would be a motor drive for a DSLR. Use an iPhone/Android app to change settings (and keep price lower).

#7 seems limiting as it's not just resolution, it's also refresh speed and color space. Have the EVF interchangeable so you can upgrade over time (as better ones come out).

What do you think JSR? How would you stack rank the wish list?

B2 (;->

Hmmm,

1) No need to go this far... people love the D750 sensor
2) Not necessary for Nikon
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Not sure what this means
6) No thoughts on this
7) This is nice, but maybe not necessary on their first camera. Olympus E-M1 II EVF is plenty nice enough.
8 - Of course.

There are a number of companies that have no expertise in SLRs or film based cameras that are coming up with mirror-less cameras, not DLSR.

Only Panasonic has no experience in reflex mirror systems. All others (including Sony because they have bought Minolta) have built film SLRs before they entered the DSLM market.

I might suggest that the prices more due to companies trying to chase after any consumer as the market tanks.

Wrong. The prices I've listed are from 2003 / 2004. From the biggest German camera distributor (which is even always a bit on the expensive side). In that period more film SLRs than DSLRs were sold. So these prices are representative for the film era.
And absolutely and clearly indicate that producing a reflex mirror system is definitely not expensive, just the opposite.

And if you go the 90ies, 80ies, you will also find lots of entry level SLRs at very low prices.

Also look to what Leica did for their new SL. Viewfinders in the film based SL line were EXCELLENT, yet they choose a EVF over a prism.

And with what result? The Leica SL is extremely expensive, only very rich people can afford it.
The new SL is more than 3x (!!) the price of a new Leica R9 was.
And is the EVF of the SL better than the viewfinder of the R9, an EOS 5 D MkIV, EOS 1 Dx MKii or a Nikon D810 / D5?
No.

By the way: Leica should have continued the excellent R line, with both digital bodies and a film body.

I might suggest your facts don't hold up to even the quickest testing. You do bring up some great points of discussion though.

I have to completely disagree.
The extremely low prices of film SLRs for decades are facts.
And every camera engineer will tell you that reflex mirror systems are not at all a big technical problem or a big cost factor. They are mainstream, mass market and completely matured technology for decades.

Cheers, Jan

+1.

At least you would come quite close to the SL price.
And then you'd sell only some thousand units, and would not get an ROI.
But Nikon needs better selling products which are profitable = good relation between investments and sales numbers.

Cheers, Jan

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nikon built on their strengths and went full out DSLR instead of mirrorless, but with a twist. I can see them doing to SLRs what Fuji did to rangefinders with the X-Pro models.. Basically stuff a more complete LCD where you now have the auto-focus indicators and the on-demand gridlines..

Back