Old Gas Stations and Related Items

I haven't taken many gas station photos because young (and young-ish) film photographers shooting gas stations (especially on Portra 400 or Cinestill 800T) is a cliché. But these are all good documents for posterity. Someday gas-powered cars will be a thing of the past. Will we still have gas stations, just converted to EV charging stations? Or will we just have parking garages and lots just for EV charging? If we keep the "gas" stations, how will the convenience stores change? I've heard that some of them that get more EV customers have started investing in restaurants/diners because it takes longer to recharge an EV than it does to fill up a gas tank, so people may as well have a meal while they wait.

Also, there's a small but growing movement in some American cities to shift away from sprawl and car-oriented infrastructure. Progress is very slow and sometimes controversial (between your garden variety NIMBYs and a new far-right conspiracy theory that 15-minute cities are a trojan horse for the New World Order police state), but it is starting to shift as US states and cities take first steps by allow duplexes and quadplexes in single family-zoned neighborhoods and repealing requirements for minimum parking spaces. The overall long-term goal is to allow people to comfortably get around their cities without needing a car. If this happens, even the presence of EV recharging stations will too wane.

I’m waiting for rubber band powered airplanes and cruise line and cargo ships using sailing vessels.

I doubt I’ll see it in my lifetime. I live in a tiny town on the edge of the country in a gorgeous valley between two major mountain ranges and can sit on my deck and sip wine and look straight into them. I can be in the mountains faster than many people in large cities can travel 5 blocks. We have essentially no serious crime and people care about each other.

There’s no amount of money that would get me to move to a city much bigger than what I live in.

This is where I can be in just minutes. Would I trade, no.

Franko I’m old enough to to have seen my dad buy gas for 14.9cents/ gal and I regularly bought it for 17.9 to 24.9 cents per gallon. I freaked out when it hit 33 cents. I had an International Scout II with a 345ci V8 that got 8 mpg in town and 13 mpg on the highway if you had a good tailwind.

Attachments

• 83631596-5909-4745-83A5-F0BD34FA653A.jpeg
    83631596-5909-4745-83A5-F0BD34FA653A.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Xray, my Dad bought plenty for 19 cents a gallon at the Airplane Station. Considering what we learned from the first embargo, not to mention $5.00 a gallon in 2008, it's a little surprising to see all the folks driving big pickups. Remember the lines that were hours long with stations that ran dry just before you got to the pumps? Folks bought Vegas and Pintos by the thousands for a while. I just wish that those downtown trolleys would come back.Knoxville TN Aiirplane Filling Station 001.jpgKnoxville TN Aiirplane Filling Station 004.jpg

Last edited:
Xray, my Dad bought plenty for 19 cents a gallon at the Airplane Station. Considering what we learned from the first embargo, not to mention $5.00 a gallon in 2008, it's a little surprising to see all the folks driving big pickups. Remember the lines that were hours long with stations that ran dry just before you got to the pumps? Folks bought Vegas and Pintos by the thousands for a while. I just wish that those downtown trolleys would come back.
I had driven from East Tn to Skaneateles Ny to attend a week long seminar on Ektachrome at Kodak in Rochester. I staid with my in-laws in Skineateles and commuted to Rochester and back each day. All was well until I had to return to ET and needed to fill my tank. You could only buy gas on certain days based on your license plate and my van was almost empty. Fortunate my father in-law knew the oil distributor and he allowed me to fill up out of his company pump.

Weren’t those days fun and now we know it was a bogus shortage. 🤨

I recall pulling away from the pump and driving away from an Amoco station when the price of gas went over $0.40 a gallon. Like the grouchy old fart I later became, I said to myself "I ain't payin' that for gasoline".

And those were the good old days....

Xray, my Dad bought plenty for 19 cents a gallon at the Airplane Station. Considering what we learned from the first embargo, not to mention $5.00 a gallon in 2008, it's a little surprising to see all the folks driving big pickups. Remember the lines that were hours long with stations that ran dry just before you got to the pumps? Folks bought Vegas and Pintos by the thousands for a while. I just wish that those downtown trolleys would come back.View attachment 4820816View attachment 4820817
Howdy neighbor!

I grew up not far from that place and went to school just a few miles down the road. I’ve not seen it since it was restored but need drive up there and take a look. I don’t remember it as a gas station just a fishing tackle and later junk shop.

When we’re your shots made? Mine were in 74 I think.

Very cool!

Attachments

• 1DBB9748-BECA-46A7-9EFB-F04C28921926.jpeg
    1DBB9748-BECA-46A7-9EFB-F04C28921926.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 54C90D45-A075-4E7A-9E33-F864CC735F72.jpeg
    54C90D45-A075-4E7A-9E33-F864CC735F72.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 9
All very nice images. How much is a gallon nowadays in the US? Yesterday I paid 1,50 Euros per liter regular (it was already as high as 2,10).

All very nice images. How much is a gallon nowadays in the US? Yesterday I paid 1,50 Euros per liter regular (it was already as high as 2,10).
When gas got down to $1.33 / gallon locally three years ago I put that in an inflation calculator and it came out about the same as we were paying in the early 70’s. We were over $4/ gal last year.

Where I live, gas is about $3.29 today.

Howdy neighbor yourself. When I got out of the military in 1970, I worked for the brand B local camera store for awhile and remember you well. The owner gave me a crash course in how to tie a string to your every nickel so I didn't last long. At least I was able to buy a very lightly used M2R from a customer before I departed. That's about the only positive I can think of.

The pics of the airplane are from 1985.

Last edited:
Old GPS Systems :ROFLMAO:... ....This falls under related items :)

Luckily, we can still get AAA Road Maps.

Vintage_Road_Maps_1.jpeg

Vintage_Road_Maps_2.jpeg

Last edited:
I love maps and road atlas maps. Best device for planning a trip ever. Google and Apple maps don't do much for me. I like using a color pen and marking out the route and using it as you travel through. GPS is not the same.

A few new images from Nelson Nevada.

Attachments

• 2ABC5991-5866-49BC-B3F9-3783D16860E8.jpeg
    2ABC5991-5866-49BC-B3F9-3783D16860E8.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20424434-8B4E-4207-8D25-95C5B9665008.jpeg
    20424434-8B4E-4207-8D25-95C5B9665008.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 8
  • A25C3BB7-E3FA-46C8-90BB-D45C4CC003E5.jpeg
    A25C3BB7-E3FA-46C8-90BB-D45C4CC003E5.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 8
Back