Olympus Pen FT

I'm really feeling this half-frame wonder. I'm thinking that this might just be my 2014 main street lurker.

Composing in portrait comes more 'natural' to me. I need to practice my sunny 16, so why waste a whole frame if it's not gonna be spot on. A TTL meter for reference and sanity checks.

Super!

edit: Erik van Straten, I dig your work :)

the pen f is a great street shooter especially in the crowded streets of hong kong with the zuiko 25mm f4 lens. street shots in portrait orientation offers a unique perspective.

Olympus Pen FT, Zuiko 40mm f/1.4, Tmax100.

Erik.

14010058235_d4c5272cc0_c.jpg

Because of Sonnar2's post I Picked up a Pen FT from Hollywood Camera (if you're ever in Portland Oregon that is a must see shop.) along with several lenses. That I'm happy with the camera is a given, after all, what's to not like? I was surprised though that the meter is functioning accurately. I tested it with all three lenses (38/1.8, 20/3.5 and 100/3.5) against both my Luna-Pro and Spotmeter V and it was always within 1/3 stop.

The only problem I foresee is being able to take pictures that do justice to the lenses.

Congrats on the new gear, Rich! I have no experience with the 100, but the 1.8/38 seems to be the best of the normal lenses, and that 20mm is simply amazingly good. Have fun...

This will be the second time around for me. Had an F back in the 60's and have played with the idea of buying another one since the day I had to sell it. The initial post plus Erik's's pictures are what decided me to go for it now. (That and the camera and lenses sitting in the display case looking so forlorn.)

I'll be heading to the park again today to give the equipment another workout.

Wow, Eric, it's really amazing those are half frame! I wouldn't have guessed!
Great camera, great lens, great film, great exposure, geat development and great printing, seriously... Thanks for posting!
Cheers,
Juan

I just checked the whole thread for the first time... Eric: you're a great photographer indeed!
Everybody should see this thread... This is unbelievable!
Cheers,
Juan

Erik,
I agree with Juan, simply superb images. I had a Pen FT many many years ago, but more recently have toyed with the idea of another. These shots give me more reason to further this thought.

One other question, I have to ask. Your workflow, are your attached images scanned from the negs, or the prints?

Oh, and do you shoot with your avatar? I have one identical, a 5 digit model, recently refurbished, new shutter curtains etc, and have tried a quick old roll of colour neg, but nothing else. Non-coated lens tends to flare slightly, but on a flattish subject it is fine.
Nostalgic shooting at it's best.
Gary

Thank you, Gary,

The images you see here are scanned from the negatives. I used to make scans from my prints, but the scanner I have now, Epson V600, delivers better results when scanning the negatives (thanks to the built in densitometer).

The camera you see in my avatar is not mine. It is a very rare model IA with a purple calf skin covering. I have however a Leica IA that I use quite often. Recently I´ve cleaned the front element of the lens at both sides (I had to open the lens) and now it performs first class. In the Leica screwmount threads you can see some results.

Erik.

Thanks Erik.
Wow, the negs scanned, your answer piqued my curiosity, and I did a quick search. Hmmm, "cost effective" too. Might have to investigate this.
While I don't use it often, I might be inclined to rethink this and get the 1A out with B&W.
Regards
Gary

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51295

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51295

Erik's use of camera is superb.
Half frame is not that small a format.
I love the vertical format..
(maybe 'cause of all the covers and magazine layouts..)
A word of caution.
The Olympus F and Ft were problem bodies for me.
I am glad to see others still working.
The lenses were really nice.

Back