r1-Scan-110514-0025.jpg

SF in tooth picks ....

r1-Scan-110514-0010-XL.jpg

Roland.

Too many posts without pictures ....

Zuiko 50/1.4

SF in tooth picks ....

I LIKE !!

As for no pictures, I'm still having a blast shooting with the Contax ST.
Just sold a bunch of OM lenses here and ready to pack my OM bodies into a box, ready to move. The problem now is to find the right house to move into :)

ferider,

I LIKE too! Looks like a bride and groom in the first one. Where/what is that? Very interesting.

And I love the tones, composition, and depth - as in 3D - of the second.

Thanks for sharing. I like the gear talk, but you're right - we gotta have more pictures!

Thanks a lot, guys. Gregor, this is the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, a place used often by wedding photographers .... The difficult part in this shot was to have nobody else but the couple in the picture, the place was crowded :)

Roland.

Even the Winder 2 is pretty nice by comparison to some of the very loud winders/motor drives on other cameras. I love the modularity of Olympus cameras. One day, I have my OM-1n in hand with a 50mm. It's small, quiet, simple and lovely to use. Everything I like about RF cameras too. Then I add the motor drive, attach it to my Sunpak 522 bracket, screw in the remote cable and a longer, fast lens, and I have the studio camera I need, and it's still smaller than most other kits. OM Shanti OM.

Ok, I've got to get this off my chest. :)

One thing I find irritating about my Winder 2 on my OM10 (and OM40) is that the release on the winder doesn't activate the viewfinder meter display and using the body release doesn't activate the winder. Surely Olympus could have done better here. Is it the same on other OM bodies?

My Pentax ME-Super winder activates the meter display.

Ronnie

Torn up trying to come to a decision in putting my OM kit up for sale.
It makes sense because I haven't used it much but everytime I pick them up I do not want to sell them.. it switches back and forth atleast a couple times a day.
I mostly use the Contax G2 or Leica.

P1010149.jpg

Hi Illuminati,
nice collection, slim down the lens and keep one only!?
i choosen the 40mm with the om4ti, great walk around setup. i had to take the same decision when i bought the M.

I think I could be happy with just the 28/2, 50/1.2 and 85/2.

It is hard to part with the 35/2, mostly because it is absolutely mint, with the original case, hood, filter, and caps...

but I also have the Contax G 35/2 and a 35 'lux that I actually shoot with and are much smaller, even though the Oly isn't *that* big.

Those are my favorite lens lengths too. Except in my case, it's the 28/2.8, 50/1.8 and 85/2. Much lighter than the faster combo, I can put one on the camera, two in the bag, and I've got a kit that's a pleasure to carry all day.

Nice kit, illuminati_02.

I now use two kits on my OMs:

1) 28f2/50f1.4/90f2.5 (90 being my "bokina") (for landscapes - a very sharp kit)
2) 35f2/85f2/180f2.8 (for people - beautiful rendering)

For me, I "need" both 28 and 35/2 :)

If you never have, try the 180/2.8. That lens is reason enough to keep the OM system for me ....

Last edited:
I think I could be happy with just the 28/2, 50/1.2 and 85/2.

It is hard to part with the 35/2, mostly because it is absolutely mint, with the original case, hood, filter, and caps...

but I also have the Contax G 35/2 and a 35 'lux that I actually shoot with and are much smaller, even though the Oly isn't *that* big.

I like the 50mm f1.2 but I find myself leaving it at home most of the time and using the 50mm f1.4 ... like all fast 50's it's a fair lump and does detract from the minimal feel of an OM body and I wouldn't want it as my only 50mm lens.

Don't sell any of it! :D

My slim setup of lenses is as follows:
24/2.8, 40/2.0, 85/2.8.

When I plan to creep in the shadowy hours of the day, I'll pack the 50/1.2, too. And that's it.

I do have a 50/1.8 as well (who doesn't anyway?!), but don't find myself using it much as I prefer the 40mm perspective and for maximum aperture I much rather use the bulkier, big brother 50/1.2.

Keep it all. One day you will be so glad you still have it, you will only spend the money on junk, like food and clothes 'n stuff.
Mid sixty's I had a full Leica M setup, vixoflex lenses meter etc, Focomat enlarger , sold it all to rear a family, money went in a blink !

ron

A friend of mine passed away late last year. Among his things was a very well used OM-1 and a equally well used OM-2. There was also 28mm, a 50mm and 35-70mm zoom. I took the kit a week ago after they were offered to me as no one else seemed to want them. ( This is one of the upsides of digital it seems! )

Then, today, the Wife and I were at a local thrift store and I managed to score a reasonably nice OM-1 with a 50mm Zuiko and a fairly pristine 75 to 150mm Zuiko zoom.

I stuffed a fresh battery in the OM-2 and everything seems to work just fine. The OM-1's seem to function perfectly as well.

So, it appears that I have a reasonable Olympus kit, but for one rather serious problem; To work well with my eyesight I require correction lenses for the eyepiece. I'll keep my eyes on the auction site.

Anyway, I've joined the ranks of the Zuikoholics.

I can now understand the attraction!

FWIW, I watched this auction and the bids went through the roof. Now I seriously do not want to know which focus screen is in my OM2n because I am very happy with it and my whole camera cost me less than that screen went for so for the moment I will just enjoy my ignorant bliss. Unfortunately I know myself only too well and I will eventually look up the differences.....
FYI, £102, 155AUD was the final bid.
I was bidding on that screen, too. Needless to say, it went for much more than I was willing to pay.

Whew! My head's spinning from talk about all the different focal lengths.

I use a 28/2 with a 28/2.8 as a spare, a 50/1.4, and a 100/2.8. It's a kit that works very well for me, though I'd love to have the 85/2 - that focal length has worked so well for me in the past doing portraits, weddings, etc, - and the 35/2 or 40/2 for an all around, walk around lens, though I've been using the 50/1.4 for so long I may be deluding myself.

One of the things I love about using primes is learning the field of view of each and getting to know where to stand and where to move to get the shot with each.

The 50 stays on my OM-1 most of the time and I judge everything - FOV, etc, -by it.

I do most of my film shooting with zoom. I have the Vivitar 35-70mm f2.8 macro zoom which practically stays on the camera. I also have the Zuiko 100mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2.8 primes which carry most of the rest of the load.

I'd love a 40mm f2 ... I figure that with the 85mm f2 it would just about do everything you'd ever need.

The price of the 40mm f2 is a little scary though which is strange because I quite willingly paid $500.00 for my 50mm f1.2 ... I guess because it's such a lump you seem to be getting better value for your money! :D

Back