OM, I've become a Zuikoholic!

Here's my first few attempts with the OM-2n , 50mm f1.4 Zuiko. Fuji Superia 400
I left it on Auto the whole time and occassional adjusted exposure compensation. I actually could have been more heavy handed with exposure comp' but I was just seeing how well it all worked at assessing the scene and getting a feel for how it meters and adjusts itself.
Nice camera though. I can see myself using it a lot since the viewfinder and focussing is so clear as I wear glasses so every little bit counts. I love how natural it feels in your hands.

img119 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Catch me if you can by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Peir One 3 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

img127 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Distracted by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

That last one I converted cause the guy was wearing a hideous Orange jumper.

Last edited:
All this OM buzz around here tempted me into trying one out. I always thought the shutter dial would be a pain—nope. I picked up an OM-1N and 50 1.8 for a good price and it is a sweet little system. BUT!!! Two days into it and the meter is unresponsive. I've checked the main wire from the battery compartment and it is fine. I can only get the meter to move into the good zone by taking the shutter speed down to 1/2 second. Any thoughts among you OM-heads out there?

Dead or dying battery? Has it been converted to use a silver oxide battery as opposed to the original mercury battery? Either of those batteries will perform well until just before they die. Hence, possibly, the sudden loss of meter function.

Dead or dying battery? Has it been converted to use a silver oxide battery as opposed to the original mercury battery? Either of those batteries will perform well until just before they die. Hence, possibly, the sudden loss of meter function.

Nope, using a CRIS Cam adapter and I changed out the battery—same results.

I have been shooting the same black OM-1n since 1979. Picked up a chrome one and a black nosed 50/1.4 at a camera show near Chicago over the weekend. Both work great. I think I will send the OM-1n to Camtech for the overhaul. I did the black one and it feels like a new camera. Now, what do I do with my neglected OM-2n?

Do you recall how much the overhaul set you back?

My beloved OM-1 went off to John with a non working meter and dodgy film advance. A complete CLA including replacing the prism set me back about $150.00 from memory ... or there abouts!

Worth every cent I might ad ... it's a different camera. As smooth as silk and the meter is bang on!

My beloved OM-1 went off to John with a non working meter and dodgy film advance. A complete CLA including replacing the prism set me back about $150.00 from memory ... or there abouts!

Worth every cent I might ad ... it's a different camera. As smooth as silk and the meter is bang on!

Thanks, Keith. I can live with that, I guess. I think I will ship it out; hopefully I'll get it back before summer's done.

Put another Zuiko on it and off you go with a flexible second focal length at hand if required quickly.

Amen to that. That's my preferred method. I like a 28 or 50 on one body and the 100 on the other. It works out good for me when doing events like festivals, weddings, etc.

I can see myself using it a lot since the viewfinder and focussing is so clear as I wear glasses so every little bit counts. I love how natural it feels in your hands.

That's what I love about the OM's - the big bright viewfinder and the size and handling.

And nice work there Paolo! Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Gregor

Here's my first few attempts with the OM-2n , 50mm f1.4 Zuiko. Fuji Superia 400

img119 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Catch me if you can by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Peir One 3 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

img127 by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

Distracted by Paolo Bonello, on Flickr

That last one I converted cause the guy was wearing a hideous Orange jumper.

Thanks Pggunn,

I bought a vivitar macro focussing teleconverter that I carry with my OM-2n kit. The tele' makes my fast 50 into a 100 f2.8, and gives me the option of macro but having two focussing rings is a bit confusing to be honest. Perhaps I need more practice to feel comfortable with two focussing rings or some pointers on how to use it quickly. Anyone here ever used one?

BUT!!! Two days into it and the meter is unresponsive. I've checked the main wire from the battery compartment and it is fine. I can only get the meter to move into the good zone by taking the shutter speed down to 1/2 second. Any thoughts among you OM-heads out there?

One of my OM-1 did this and I just toss the battery and screw the battery lid tightly for the last time. Been using Sunny-16 (or hand-held meter) since.

To me, the only OM body whose meter is worth spending money on (to fix) is OM-2n. Somehow that model's meter always produces good exposures.

I bought a vivitar macro focussing teleconverter that I carry with my OM-2n kit. The tele' makes my fast 50 into a 100 f2.8, and gives me the option of macro but having two focussing rings is a bit confusing to be honest. Perhaps I need more practice to feel comfortable with two focussing rings or some pointers on how to use it quickly. Anyone here ever used one?

Paolo,

I use mine the same as you but haven't done so since I got a Sigma 50mm 2.8 1:1 macro lens. Whatever way you use it you set one focussing ring to infinity and just use the other one. I've got a copy of the instructions (Kenko version) and a Word doc that I've typed up. I can't get them to attach, so PM me if you want a copy.

Here's a link to a short primer.

http://www.nicobastone.com/Vivitar_2x_Macro-Focusing_Teleconverter.htm

The conversations on this thread convinced me to part with my not-so-hard-earned cash for an OM-4 from KEH. I will be visiting the Philippines and Vietnam for five weeks this summer and I didn't want to take my Rollei 6006 medium format SLR. I took an FM2n and 50/1.2 AIS to Borneo two years ago, and while that was a fine combo, I had since sold that gear. I also wanted something even smaller. At first, I had a hankering for a Zeiss Ikon or Hexar RF, in combination with a Leitz/Zeiss/Konica prime. But I couldn't help admiring the various Zuikos' beautiful renderings on this thread and elsewhere. And they're cheap! A friend will be giving me his 50/1.8 and I'll likely buy a 28 or 35 before I go.

I'll be shooting some FP4+ and a lot of Portra 400.

I also considered a digital camera, having owned a GRD and Nikon DSLR in the past. Candidates included the new Fuji, an NEX, the Ricoh GXR, etc., but I prefer the enforced delayed gratification of film, not to mention the realization that you only have so many shots to get it right. Incorrect or not, I believe I am more into the moment when using film.

Anyway, thanks for your collective insider knowledge!

But I couldn't help admiring the various Zuikos' beautiful renderings on this thread and elsewhere. And they're cheap! A friend will be giving me his 50/1.8 and I'll likely buy a 28 or 35 before I go.

Hi Novum,

That sounds like a good combination. Personally, I'd go with the 28 as a second lens, but the 35 or 50 if I could only have one.

With primes we zoom with our feet, or switch lenses. The 35 and 50 are close enough in focal length to use your feet to get a similar FOV, and the rendering is not radically different from 35 to 50.

The difference between 28 and 50 however is significant enough to make a noticeable difference and would give you a more versatile kit in my opinion, as well as conventional wisdom which advocates a range of primes in a progression that roughly double in FL - e.g. 28 - 50 - 100 or 35 - 70 - 135, 35 - 70 -150, etc.

Having said that, you still have to use what you have available and whatever works for you! Whatever you choose, I wish you the best and hope you'll post your results.

I'll be shooting some FP4+ and a lot of Portra 400.

I do love the Portra for color and look forward to shooting more. I shot a couple of rolls of 400 NC at a wedding reception a few weeks ago, deliberately underexposed by two stops, intending to have them push processed. They came back from the lab developed at 400! :eek:

But, they still turned out beautiful! With minimal PP in Aperture I got great looking prints. It sure saved my ass!

I've read that the new formulation of Portra is even more forgiving. I can't wait to get my hands on some.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Thanks, Gregor. Yeah, I was already inclined to go for the 28, not sure which one yet.

Haven't shot the "new" Portra yet, but am definitely looking forward to seeing how it works for me. The stuff sounds like it has incredible latitude, which is the main reason I'll be taking it with me. I want color film I can push to 3200, if need be.

--Alan

The 28/35 + 50 discussion is an interesting one and comes down to absolutely personal preferences.

Personally, I always shoot with two bodies (not Olympus, but I follow this thread out of interest for the OMs).
One body with a fast 50mm and one with a 35mm.
I do have a 28mm as well, but somehow can't get comfortable with 28mm.

I find, that 35mm is plenty wide, to get relatively close people shots, while including a scene - even in tight rooms. With 28mm I often end up with awkward compositions, not meaningfully framed, etc…

It has been a wise decision against the Nex and GXR - these new digital cameras are very capable in image quality, but compared to a real camera, they are dog slow in operation and stuffed with useless features, which constantly go in the way of quick decisions and shots.

Back