On1 Raw Power

hap

Well-known
Local time
12:49 PM
I am pretty much a blank slate when it comes to digital processing. So I am free to choose (said Milton Friedman)

I have a couple of older digital cameras and would like to continue to use and denoising and upscaling might be a mission critical function.

However, an all in one sort of solution for basic/intermediate control is desired across the processing board.

Have heard a lot about ON1 Raw Power and it's newly promoted AI denoising. Lot of hype in this niche from the commercial offerings.

Seems like ON1, Luminar, DXO might be good for me? Not in the market for a subscription product.

Do you use an Apple macOS or iOS device? Photos, provided with them, has some excellent photo editing capabilities built in (including an extensive raw processing engine) and you can add RAW Power by Gentlemen Coders to that, which extends the image processing by leaps and bounds. All very reasonably priced and capable of producing excellent quality.

I tried On1 and was quite disappointed with it.

G

I was in the same place the OP is. Looked at Raw Power, looks quite good. In the end I went with Affinity Photo. It has raw processing as well as most anything you can do in Photoshop.
A reasonable one time investment that does more that I normally need. Happy camper:D

Hi Godfrey
I have professional windows 10 workstations for rmedical imaging critical applications. No apple devices.

So Gentlemen Coders is out. Maybe someday I will get a Mac mini or something similar .
In the meantime, stuck with Windows 10 OS.

appreciate your input, thanks.

Affinity could be a solution. Not sure it would have the power/quality for certain cameras of mine to do a good job in denoising or upscaling (10-16MP cams) I do have a 24MP cam but most of my digital stuff is lower res and I wish to continue using those cameras for special reasons.

Topaz labs produces good software packages.

I just thought ON1 would be a comprehensive solution. DXO as well.

I was in the same place the OP is. Looked at Raw Power, looks quite good. In the end I went with Affinity Photo. It has raw processing as well as most anything you can do in Photoshop.
A reasonable one time investment that does more that I normally need. Happy camper:D

Noticed you have a N80. I recently acquired one to fill a "gap" in my Nikon harem. Hope you like yours.

Hap, I do indeed like the N80. Nice size and handling, very quiet shutter, great metering and it can share all the glass I use with my D7100.
As far as Affinity Photo, there are lots a reviews on line and loads of tutorials on Youtube that will give you a good idea if it will be right for your needs. I was able to snag a copy during the lockdown last year for $25. I think normal price is $50

I don't know if finding a physical edition of Lightroom 6 would be an option anymore, but that's what I still use most of the time. The last non-subscription version. I suspect DXO will do better than On1 for RAW processing still... though I like On1 Effects for its plugin capability.

Will any of you buy into the new ON1 AI Denoising module?

Hell no until I see actual good results, their press examples so far look, frankly, pretty dreadful. I'm not an On1 hater, either, and I've used their products for years. But DXO's DeepPrime noise reduction is far better looking than whatever On1 is trying to cook up. Try DXO PhotoLab 4 Elite for the free month, I think it's going to be some of the best NR you'll find.

DXO Photolab 4 is very good but more limited in what cameras it supports. Make sure it supports your cameras in RAW format. Their noise reduction can be extremely good but you have to shoot raw for the deep prime NR.

The additional plug ins for DXO can be really good too. If you do a lot of wide angle the Viewpoint plug in is great. And it has the NIK plugs ins integrated as well.

An earlier version had photo library support added to it but I don't use it for that so I can't say how good or not it is. My library is in LR6 and then I use DXO for individual processing when desired.

Shawn

I don't know if finding a physical edition of Lightroom 6 would be an option anymore, but that's what I still use most of the time. The last non-subscription version. I suspect DXO will do better than On1 for RAW processing still... though I like On1 Effects for its plugin capability.

LR 6.14 (last revision of the perpetual license distribution) is an increasingly out of date version of the app. At least on macOS, it's been losing features with each OS revision for the past four, and no longer runs on macOS Catalina at all.

For Windows users ... I don't know about Win11 at all. But i doubt it's worth going nutty to find an original distribution of LR 6.14 at this point.

G

DXO Photolab 4 is very good but more limited in what cameras it supports. Make sure it supports your cameras in RAW format. Their noise reduction can be extremely good but you have to shoot raw for the deep prime NR.

The additional plug ins for DXO can be really good too. If you do a lot of wide angle the Viewpoint plug in is great. And it has the NIK plugs ins integrated as well.

An earlier version had photo library support added to it but I don't use it for that so I can't say how good or not it is. My library is in LR6 and then I use DXO for individual processing when desired.

Shawn

I will have to look in the DXO list of supported cameras. Part of the reason of asking the question in the first place is that one of my cameras is a Nikon 1 v1. You may ask why I would want to continue to use that camera with only 10mp? Well, partly because I invested in the two best(and expensive) lenses for the camera, the VR zoom which has tremendous reach and the 32mm 1.2 prime. It doesn't hurt that it has 16FPS. but as y ou might expect, the older noisy cx sensor at most everything but near base ISO and the files are small . so could use some help with upscaling ...AI. Same for my Olympus TG5 and it shoots raw.

ON1 supports these cameras. I suspect DXO would as well. I don't want Adobe product, although I could probably find it useful to use a one time purchase of Elements Pro.

I will have to look in the DXO list of supported cameras. Part of the reason of asking the question in the first place is that one of my cameras is a Nikon 1 v1. You may ask why I would want to continue to use that camera with only 10mp? Well, partly because I invested in the two best(and expensive) lenses for the camera, the VR zoom which has tremendous reach and the 32mm 1.2 prime. It doesn't hurt that it has 16FPS. but as y ou might expect, the older noisy cx sensor at most everything but near base ISO and the files are small . so could use some help with upscaling ...AI. Same for my Olympus TG5 and it shoots raw.

ON1 supports these cameras. I suspect DXO would as well. I don't want Adobe product, although I could probably find it useful to use a one time purchase of Elements Pro.

I had a Nikon 1 for a while, I think the V3 model. Affinity Photo supports it, and the V1, as do most of the raw processing apps I've tried.

G

LR 6.14 (last revision of the perpetual license distribution) is an increasingly out of date version of the app. At least on macOS, it's been losing features with each OS revision for the past four, and no longer runs on macOS Catalina at all.

For Windows users ... I don't know about Win11 at all. But i doubt it's worth going nutty to find an original distribution of LR 6.14 at this point.

G

That is weird that OS revisions would restrict features. I really don't think that has happened on Windows.

Yeah, I mentioned DXO because I don't know that they delete compatibility with old cameras, and you said you had older digital cameras. They just don't always update new cameras on a fast schedule, and don't support much from Fuji.

I had a Nikon 1 for a while, I think the V3 model. Affinity Photo supports it, and the V1, as do most of the raw processing apps I've tried.

G
Nikon 1 v3 deviated from "the plan". Was a good camera but they did away with the built in EVF and it got bulky...and especially bulky with the separate EVF.

Decent 18.4MP but not sure it fared well if not lots of light.

It's too bad Nikon dumped this line. The lenses, especially the super zoom and the unique 32mm are excellent. Maybe I'm just sentimental.

I have been using ON1 for my Fujifilm XT-2 since 2018. Some software including Light Room purportedly did not handle Fuji X Sensor non-Bayesian patterns well, and ON1 was purported to be one that did. It works fine for me, but I cannot compare to other products. I also use it to invert B&W negatives. It does not have much support for that, but I can make it work. Color negatives are another story.

That is weird that OS revisions would restrict features. I really don't think that has happened on Windows.

macOS revisions didn't 'restrict features'.. it's simply that various back end non-Apple SPIs that LR is dependent upon changed and Adobe decided not to update their macOS libraries to accommodate those changes since they had already passed the end-of-life point for the perpetual license version of the application. The same SPIs on Windows (for various reasons) could not change in some cases which leaves the old library interfaces intact, without whatever benefits the new interfaces provided.

The benefits from these kinds of changes are typically better security, fewer ways for virii and trojan malware to get into the system, etc.

G

Back