On1 Raw Power

I haven't noticed any lost features on LR6.14 and I am running MacOS 10.14.6.

Shawn

I can't remember all the specifics that well but one piece that dropped off the table was the Maps module: it stopped working some years back.

Remember that 10.14.6 (Mojave) is three major macOS releases back, vintage Fall 2018 released. When Mojave was updated to Catalina, that's when the SPI was updated and Adobe decided not to pursue updating it any further. Big Sur was the most recent macOS release, and it will likely be superseded yet again in September-October time frame since macOS is typically on an annual update schedule these days.

G

I can't remember all the specifics that well but one piece that dropped off the table was the Maps module: it stopped working some years back.

Remember that 10.14.6 (Mojave) is three major macOS releases back, vintage Fall 2018 released. When Mojave was updated to Catalina, that's when the SPI was updated and Adobe decided not to pursue updating it any further. Big Sur was the most recent macOS release, and it will likely be superseded yet again in September-October time frame since macOS is typically on an annual update schedule these days.

G

Just tried the Map module (for the first time and I've use LR since v2) and yes it doesn't work. But it wasn't due to MacOS upgrades, Adobe stopped supporting it on earlier versions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/map-view-no-longer-supported.html

Shawn

macOS revisions didn't 'restrict features'.. it's simply that various back end non-Apple SPIs that LR is dependent upon changed and Adobe decided not to update their macOS libraries to accommodate those changes since they had already passed the end-of-life point for the perpetual license version of the application. The same SPIs on Windows (for various reasons) could not change in some cases which leaves the old library interfaces intact, without whatever benefits the new interfaces provided.

The benefits from these kinds of changes are typically better security, fewer ways for virii and trojan malware to get into the system, etc.

G

I was just trying to sound sympathetic, as a Windows plebian who doesn't have issues like that. :D

Back