One or more

Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
8:36 PM
Which is best - to own different cameras to do different jobs (Face it, discreet candid photography and long lens sports photography benefit from different tools.) or one camera that will do an adequate, if not the best, job in a variety of situations, a camera which you know so well the you can use it without devoting any conscious thought to how to operate the machine?

Simply because I take pictures for other people, I have different cameras for different jobs. But there are plenty of times I don’t work as efficiently as I should and make mistakes because different cameras have different controls in different places. I would love to work with one system and one set of controls so I didn’t have to think about the camera when I should be concentrating on the subject.

I don’t think there is a clear cut answer, especially in a world where we love our toys. But, what do you think in terms of your photography - lots of fun toys or one toy that you have mastered and work without thinking?

I have the luxury of being a proud amateur. I use what I want when I want. I find I can adapt quickly to my different cameras (about 5 that I use often; 2 Fuji X, one Fuji gfx, one Ricoh GR3x and a Bessa r2), but I am also photographing my style all of the time. As a pro, you better have the tools you need to get the job done that is clear.

Good question.

There are occasions where I absolutely had to use a Hasselblad SWC to make interior photos, capture a group of people, and have perfectly vertical lines at the edges. They were happy; I was happy. The right tool for the job.

On other occasions I had to use my Nikon D700 to get motorsports photos and send them out the same day, plus use the high frame rate (3fps was good enough - any faster and I’d get distracted).

But! For intuitive and near-telepathic personal use I always choose my Pentax SP500 and 55/2 Super Takumar. Perhaps it works so well for me because that’s the only combination I used for 15 years, but — it gives results!

Looking at it from a strictly tools or tool box approach - more.

From a commercial work standpoint, no I don’t have different cameras for different jobs. I have one - a Nikon Z7, though I do have a couple of backup cameras in case something happens to it.

What I do have for different jobs are lenses - perspective control lenses for all my architectural work, my 24-70/2.8 for general purpose work (which may include events, food, some candid, and even video which I shoot a fair bit), a longer lens for sports if needed, and three prime lenses (35, 50 and 85/1.8) for personal work and if I want to shoot low light at some kind of evening event and don’t wish to use/am not able to use flash. Yes I do have a number of other cameras that I like to use for myself, but really If I only had to use one camera, the Z7 could likely do it all.

Actually I lie - for aerial work I have a drone. So the Z7 and a drone :)

For what it’s worth…

In the good old days I only had two cameras and they were both Canon F1n. Two camera bodies so I could have a fast and slow speed film when I was out in the field. The thought of having any other camera than an F1 was forgien to me. I was an F1 user and that was that; a matter of pride.

Fast forward to today, lordy I have 6 digital cameras (maybe more) and a slew of lenses.

One digital camera and about 3 lenses would probably suffice but screw it, I’m 67 years old and I like my toys. I also have 3 tripods and a bunch of filters.

Only 1 camera bag; I prefer backpacks these days.

All the best,
Mike

For me: two. A Leica M for the more spontaneous (and also options in a different focal length), and a MF Rollei for times when I can be slower.

I like cameras so I have a lot of them. All digital these days. About evenly divided APS-C and FF. On any given day I'll pick up one, choose a lens and spend the day with the combination. I could easily shoot with a normal lens and a slightly wider lens but I like to mix it up and occasionally use a long lens or a true wide angle. Sometimes a zoom, sometimes a macro. Doesn't seem to matter what I use, I still shoot the same type of photos. That is: anything I find interesting, usually in B&W. Not sunsets, not waterfalls, not flowers...well, maybe a flower every now and then.

I like to carry 3 Cameras in my Small Domke Bag. I have been using a Leica Standard with 21mm Voigtlander for B&W, Leica II with Elmar 50mm for color, and Canon IVS with Canon 28mm for infrared film. The subject and lighting make the camera choice easy for me.

Caro Bill, I am still with the beautiful little X100F and sometimes GR III because snap focus is really perfect. They are so small I can have both! So 28-70mm without any cumbersome pieces. No lenses to change, and this old Italian broad can remember how to set them each though they are different!

Ciao

Used to have several digital cameras. Like you, Bill, I sometimes wasted time and missed opportunities remembering how to change color balance, or Dynamic Range, flash settings...etc.
I have pared it down to these three:

A Nikon D800E for wildlife and landscape. (maybe 20% )
Two Fuji X Pro2's for everything else.

I think a lot of the distinctions that I once made between 35 mm, medium- and large-format film systems became irrelevant in the digital era, at least as far as end results were concerned. One of my earliest encounters with digital compact cameras blew me away, as I realized that shirt pocket sized compacts could have parallax-free through-the-lens viewing, which until then, had been the exclusive domain of SLRs and view cameras. And thanks to clever software, today almost anyone can produce perspective-corrected, seamless panoramas.

Of course there's no accounting for personal preferences!

Photography for me scratches the itch to create and the itch to play with toys. I have several, not because I need them but because I wanted to play with them. I love the RF format, it fits me so well. I love the versatility of my Z7, there's basically nothing I can't photograph with it but it doesn't speak to me as well as my R-D1 and Leica. I'm fortunate in that I can with a little sacrifice have all of them as well as a growing bunch of old film cameras to play with too. Notice that "Play" occurs frequently in this conversation. Like JsRocket, I am totally an amateur. I shoot just for me.

This...

From a commercial work standpoint, no I don’t have different cameras for different jobs. I have one - a Nikon Z7, though I do have a couple of backup cameras in case something happens to it.

What I do have for different jobs are lenses - perspective control lenses for all my architectural work, my 24-70/2.8 for general purpose work (which may include events, food, some candid, and even video which I shoot a fair bit), a longer lens for sports if needed, and three prime lenses (35, 50 and 85/1.8) for personal work and if I want to shoot low light at some kind of evening event and don’t wish to use/am not able to use flash.

Today, having more than one camera (except as a back-up) is an affectation, not a need! Modern mirrorless cameras cameras are like Swiss-army knives!

I use a Sony A7R Mk IV, and I honestly think it's just about perfect and can't conceive of a feature it's missing I may one day need!

Today, having more than one camera (except as a back-up) is an affectation, not a need! Modern mirrorless cameras cameras are like Swiss-army knives!

I need more than one camera because I shoot digital and also film in three formats. A mirrorless digital camera doesn't handle 4x5 film very well.

Which is best - to own different cameras to do different jobs (Face it, discreet candid photography and long lens sports photography benefit from different tools.) or one camera that will do an adequate, if not the best, job in a variety of situations, a camera which you know so well the you can use it without devoting any conscious thought to how to operate the machine?

Simply because I take pictures for other people, I have different cameras for different jobs. But there are plenty of times I don’t work as efficiently as I should and make mistakes because different cameras have different controls in different places. I would love to work with one system and one set of controls so I didn’t have to think about the camera when I should be concentrating on the subject.

I don’t think there is a clear cut answer, especially in a world where we love our toys. But, what do you think in terms of your photography - lots of fun toys or one toy that you have mastered and work without thinking?

Bill, I think you need both.

You need a set of cameras that can handle the different shooting situations you find yourself in. But you can also have that one camera that fits you like a glove and is as comfortable as an old shoe, one that you can use reflexively.

I don't see a reason that you have to do one or the other, you can do both.

Of course my wife doesn't always agree about this.

Best,
-Tim

I need more than one camera because I shoot digital and also film in three formats. A mirrorless digital camera doesn't handle 4x5 film very well.

I think that Rich and I were both referring to commercial work, and for that one camera does the job for me just fine (except drone). Not sure if you use 4x5 film for commercial work.

From a personal work standpoint I’m in total agreement. I have too many cameras — 35mm, 120 film, 127 film and glass plate in multiple sizes, as well as other digital cameras. Whole other story!

I think that Rich and I were both referring to commercial work, and for that one camera does the job for me just fine (except drone). Not sure if you use 4x5 film for commercial work.

My apologies. I thought Bill's post was addressed to all members of the forum and not just those who are commercial photographers. In quoting Rich, I did not know that he was a commercial photographer, and that he was responding in such capacity. I just thought he liked using his mirrorless digital camera and couldn't imagine needing anything more. I am not a commercial photographer.

My apologies. I thought Bill's post was addressed to all members of the forum and not just those who are commercial photographers. In quoting Rich, I did not know that he was a commercial photographer, and that he was responding in such capacity. I just thought he liked using his mirrorless digital camera and couldn't imagine needing anything more.

No I understand where you’re coming from and am in total agreement - I guess when Bill mentioned ‘jobs’ I was interpreting it as meaning commercial/professional jobs (and he said that he takes pictures for other people: “Simply because I take pictures for other people, I have different cameras for different jobs”), at least that’s how I took and ran with it. The misinterpretation/applying it simply to that is on my part.

My commercial work is 100% digital. I have two bodies from the same system (Olympus m4/3) because you need a backup when you're a professional. My fine art work is a mix of digital (same cameras and lenses I use commercially) and film (old Leicas, both M and screwmount, and my Polaroid SX-70).

Back