One or more

One of the reasons I bought my Nikonos V was that I could use it on the many rainy days we have. A specialty camera for special situations!

Of course, that was just an excuse. I was impressed with how solid and tight it was when opening and closing and that the shutter could barely be heard, it has an unusual rewind, it has an AE mode that would blink the suggested speed while showing your chosen speed, it can make a very long time exposures based on the light being collected.

The camera has performed wonderfully with its outstanding 35/2.5 lens. The downside? I’ve had to force myself to walk miles in the rain.

In one particular nasty summer squall, rain blowing sideways, I was congratulating myself on being out there with a camera: In my element. The right tools. Being among the few who can get the job done, &c. At that very moment, as if sent by the gods, a young woman from the local newspaper walked by me - slung over her shoulder were two Nikon D800’s.

This is Platos's (and philosophy's) problem of the One and the Many. Is it 5 cameras and 27 lenses plus various accessories, or is it a toolkit?

Back