Only two focal lengths allowed...

50 for a high % of my photos, and then most likely 28 if it is only 1 more (rather than 35 or something wider). A fast 28 will fill the need indoors or in other tight quarters.

28mm and 40mm.

GRIII and IIIx pair gets it right.
28/1.4 and 40/1.2 universally useful and still quite compact on Leica; even though the frame-lines require a bit of interpolation.

35mm & 90mm, those are over 90% of everything I use. I love fast (or weird) 50mm lenses, but they always seem either too wide or too narrow for my uses. I do have tons of lenses that see very little use, but wouldn't dream of getting rid of them, since when you want to go wild you need something crazy :D (like my Laowa 15mm F4 macro, or Helios 44M-4 58mm F2 lens, both are fun to use but pretty much use case spesific).

Oddly enough, it depends on the camera. The form factor and shooting style partially determine what I like to shoot. If it were for the Pentax K-1, I think the 31mm and 77mm FA Limited lenses would probably suit me. For something like the GR, 28mm and 40mm.

In absolute terms, I could probably boil it down to 35mm and 75mm, give or take. Wide but not too wide, and tele but not too tele. And both could basically function as a normal/standard if composed correctly.

24/25mm and 50mm.

I would probably choose 35mm if limited to one. And it's really hard to not keep a 35mm hidden away when limited to only two focal lengths.

Back