Only two focal lengths allowed...

May I walk back my "24/25 and 50" response given previously? I actually use 35mm and 50mm lenses the most and they seem to fit my normal methods best. The wider lenses are special purpose. Occasionally I will use lenses as wide as 18mm but only occasionally. And I might, but seldom do, use an 85mm or 105mm or something longer but those are rare times.

So...35mm and 50mm. Preferably on a pair of Nikon DSLRs or their equivalents on a pair of Fuji X-Pros.

In 35mm format terms, if you could only choose two (prime) focal lengths, which would they be?

Interesting question. My interchangeable lens cameras in 35mm format are now all Leica M models (two digital, one film) so I did a quick look through my LR Classic catalog to see what lenses were used with them the most (that covers everything from about 2006 to the present) out of the dozen or so lenses that I have at my disposal. The results were a (not surprising to me) 35, 50, 75 mm set, although 75 did surprise me a little bit since that's one of my newer lenses.

The difference between 35 and 50 lens use is so small as to be insignificant, so I probably should call it "35/50" and be done... but, it is often the case when I have only the 35 (or 28) that I get the itch to use the 75 more of the time. So maybe the 35/75 pairing is best, and 50 (or 43) when I am only going to carry one lens.

I know I've gone on long photo missions with just 35/50 or 35/75, or more recently 28/50 or 21/35, when carrying two lenses. And if I look behind me at the three cameras sitting on the shelf with their default "grab and go" lens fitted, the M10-M has the 28, the M10-R has the 50, and the M4-2 has the 35mm ... at present anyway.

Eh, it's a bit of a toss up. I sometime just grab two lenses, one on the camera and another one that comes to hand easily, and don't think about it any further.

G

Dear Board,

On an SLR, film or digital, my preferred focal lengths are 35mm and 500mm. I like to have an overview of where I am, and I also like to photograph the birds and wildlife that are in the area.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

So that would be 28mm in 135 format terms, and the second is a zoom which doesn't qualilfy.:)

Rspectfully, to (mis)quote Gertrude Stein, a zoom lens is a lens is a lens is a lens. Prime or not.

And we only use it as one setting at a time. Mine seems to be stuck on '18.

But then I find I use my Fujinon '18/2.0 more than the '18 setting on the '18-55. I will be in Malaysia for a few days next month, and I'm now going thru my usual conundrum of which damn lens I take, the zoom or only the prime? Apples or oranges? Or two different brands of the same whichever?

So where does that leave me?

(In the same boat as everybody else here, I reckon. Ha!)

The original post specifically referred to prime lenses, but yes, if you use your zoom only at one focal length then your two focal length choices are 18...and 18. :p

Or 28 and 28 in 135 format.

Your point taken, and I apologize for having "drifted" from the original intent of your post.

I also accept that almost all primes are heaps better than even the best zooms. Excepting maybe the Fuji '18-55, but I realize that I may be threading (again) on dangerous grounds in saying this...

So to preserve my aging hide I will backtrack again and say what I recall I previously wrote, - my two preferred choices are '28 and '85. The two lenses that "see" as closely as I do.

Or '35 and '180 as my partner likes best. or '50 and '135 as my closest friend who is as madly keen (= insane) a photographer as I am, uses almost exclusively, that is when he isn't borrowing one of my Nikon primes to play with. But he returns them, so all's good there.)

Different strokes for different folks, after all. For the fun of it. Choise is wonderful.

So to preserve my aging hide I will backtrack again and say what I recall I previously wrote, - my two preferred choices are '28 and '85. The two lenses that "see" as closely as I do.
Have you gotten to look at any Fujifilm XF primes in that neighborhood. I like my 60mm ƒ/2.4 macro but it's really only usable on the more recent sensors. But I hear good things about the 50mm ƒ/2 and 56mm ƒ/1.2, even though the 56mm ƒ/1.2 seems way too big and heavy for my use! There's also a 50mm ƒ/1.0 that's even larger!

Have you gotten to look at any Fujifilm XF primes in that neighborhood. I like my 60mm ƒ/2.4 macro but it's really only usable on the more recent sensors. But I hear good things about the 50mm ƒ/2 and 56mm ƒ/1.2, even though the 56mm ƒ/1.2 seems way too big and heavy for my use! There's also a 50mm ƒ/1.0 that's even larger!
A lot of modern lenses are getting pretty big. I have a Zeiss Milvus 50 in Nikon fit and it’s huge - and actually not that modern really given where things have gone in the last 10 years. There’s a lot to be said for an M4 and 2.8/35 Biogon (or F2.5 Colour Skopar etc)

A lot of modern lenses are getting pretty big. I have a Zeiss Milvus 50 in Nikon fit and it’s huge - and actually not that modern really given where things have gone in the last 10 years. There’s a lot to be said for an M4 and 2.8/35 Biogon (or F2.5 Colour Skopar etc)
Absolutely. If i'm going to carry a big camera then it's going to be medium format or larger. If 35mm...no SLRs, i'll be using a Leica....with a small lens or two (no more Noctilux or 75mm Summilux).
1C4A8FB1-0402-4BEF-9678-80E35DBEE609.jpgIMG_7131.jpg

Last edited:
If you want turn the M4 and small 35 into a two lens kit then a zm 4/85 or an M-rokkor 4/90 would be perfect.

Back