Original Pen

Original Pens etc.

Original Pens etc.

I hope this thread is still active, I see the last messages are a few years old. I have unearthed my Viewfinder Pen collection, and am determined to do some shooting now again. Of the 5 I have that are in good working order, there are two early Sanko Shoji Pens, one two lug Pen, one Pen S 2.8 and one Pen S 3.5. I have two others that have issues, and I squirreled them away somewhere so it doesn't matter really. Deciding now which one to shoot with first. My experience with half frame cameras is that it's hard to get an entire roll shot, as evidenced by the two camera I found martially shot with unknown film in them. Also in the mix are a Ricoh Caddy and a Yashica 72-E, both working well, except for the meter in the Caddy which is dead.

I have a copy of John Foster's great guidebook to the Viewfinder Pens as well, because around 20 years ago I was really into collecting and learning everything I could about them.

Any of you still out there shooting with these cameras?

If you want compact, 36 frames and less grain, go for Minox 35. My Pen S is fun but my 35 EL is superior, lighter and cheaper.

Any of you still out there shooting with these cameras?

I´m a fan of half frame cameras and have used my Pen and Pen S quite a lot beside a Konica Recorder, the Agfa Optima Parat, the Yashica Samurai (X3.0 and X4.0) and the Canon Dial 2. It surely takes a while to finish a roll, but using these sometimes strangely designed cameras is fun.
tumblr 1
tumblr 2

I shoot a lot of Pen stuff and have posted some here before. Here is one from my last roll (the rest of it is my homepage, in fact).

img20201031_0305-9.jpg

Back