Ouch! Cost of Swapping in a New Sensor on my M9

tstermitz

Well-known
Local time
8:34 PM
Let's just say that for the price I could get a FF digital camera from one of the other players. And that's more money than I have at the moment.

I sent my M9 in for CLA, plus fix a red-line, plus some sensor dirt that I couldn't get rid of, and the report back was that the sensor was scratched. Yeah, I tried to clean it, but not vigorously, and not in a way that would cause a scratch. You know, swipe across the sensor, not jab at it randomly.

I guess, if I can get the money together, I'll get back an almost new camera.

Painful considering the "FF digital from one of the other players" would have better sensor performance as well.

Let's just say that for the price I could get a FF digital camera from one of the other players. And that's more money than I have at the moment.

I sent my M9 in for CLA, plus fix a red-line, plus some sensor dirt that I couldn't get rid of, and the report back was that the sensor was scratched. Yeah, I tried to clean it, but not vigorously, and not in a way that would cause a scratch. You know, swipe across the sensor, not jab at it randomly.

Please give us the price quote you got, and from where.

Others will eventually need to replace their sensors too.

Stephen

That's harsh news, and will definitely have some effect on potential buyers on the used market once the details have been confirmed.

For sensor cleaning, I'd really recommend the Arctic Butterfly and vigorous air blowing in order to get out as many of the dust particles as possible before any "swipes" are applied to the sensor glass itself.

Dust cleaning used to drive me crazy until I got one of those.

I have limited my own cleaning of the M9 sensor to the air blower. Once a year I take the camera to a trusted professional who has worked with several of my cameras to have the sensor completely cleaned. So far it has worked and I am not enthused with the idea of having to replace the sensor. I will say however that it is nice to know that service is available if the need arises.

The repair is from Leica, and it does include the CLA. I'm with Pioneer; In the future I'll only blow the dust of, and seek professional cleaning. It is too bad the sensor has no dust shake, and that the cover is so fragile.

The thing is I really like the M9, and don't think that much of handling on the M240. The M9 sensor is great, aside from high ISO. The M240 was a first and incomplete cut at adding the features present from the better Japanese mirror less cameras. A good rule of thumb is to skip generations.

Leica's pricing model is high-end. I can accept that on the lenses, but not for electronic gear that depreciates.

wow that's sad news. The Leica digital Modul R could even be easily cleaned with a micro fibre wipe by hand!!!

I use Visible Dust swabs on the D4 sensor and no probs at all. Just make a good clean, even swipe. and enough fluid on the swab

Digital rot and the Digital M horror!

Digital rot and the Digital M horror!

I feel for you! I have an M8 with a similar problem and decided its life as a paperweight makes better sense. I am an X Pro-1 shooter now but have a huge collection of Leica M glass crying for a new camera body. I really wish Leica went with the camera for life concept when the M8 first came out. They did not. What would have been the best solution in my mind would be a digital back solution for the film M's. Leica has no interest in this. If someone made a removable sensor module with the electronics contained in the camera back as well as a removable bottom grip for $3000 or so I would buy it without hesitation. It is being done with medium and large format, and should not be a problem with smaller film cameras. Leica building a body to last 100 years but electronics that are only good for a few years makes no sense at all.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141052

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141052

Please give us the exact price of sensor replacement?

Leica always charged a premium.
I needed a lens aperture blades derusted.
It had never been in a moist climate.
Where I lived was arid and dry,no humidity.
Strangely Both Nikon and Pentax without seeing the lens, said
"Fault in manufacture.It would be repaired even out of guarantee".
A private technician cleaned it off, it never re-appeared.
The cost on 1/100 of Leica.
Today with electronics, there are no good ways..
Good Luck.

Sorry to hear about the repair to your Leica.

When I was in the thick of it, doing lots of events and other photography, I decided to invest in several camera bodies and not change lenses. Way back then, new cameras were out it seemed like every 6 months or so! What I did was buy the old model, still new, at a reduced price.

Of course, for me, things happen that could get lost during changing of lenses at most events. In a hurry things/mistakes can also happen! A side benefit to this has been zero repairs and no dust on sensors.

Even when I was film based I did the same thing.

With Leica, this would be expensive, but something to consider. You could have a second body that's lost value because of new versions.

I have a 10 year old Canon 20D that has taken quite a few photographs but still works just fine. It's in my Pelican case just in case. I still use the original battery that came with the camera!

My mentor nicknamed me "cheapie." Ha!

Thought I would let you know what I used to do to offer an idea to help.

Cost $2450 for sensor, all adjustments, and replace the vulcanite. Not sure why the latter was in there, as there isn't a problem with the covering.

One rationalization, is that for $2450, I get a (basically) new Leica M9, which is a pretty good price for an M9.

I think Bill Clark's suggestion is pretty good: Don't change lenses. Not so expensive if I sell my 24mm Elmarit to fund the repair and buy a Fuji 100s, even though I can't bring myself to sell my Summicron 35mm ASPH. But, going down that path, I'm not sure I would choose the 50mm as the lens of choice. That leaves my 90mm Elmarit-M, which I don't use all that much, but I really I really like the images it gives me.

Maybe I end up with one lens and one camera.

Or, maybe choose the Ricoh GR with its 28mm view point instead of the Fuji.

Perhaps access to the sensor in the process of replacement requires replacing the vulcanite. But I bet that the vulcanite replacement is exorbitantly expensive. You might as well see if they can replace the sensor and leave the re-covering job to you. A satisfactory replacement skin can be had from Aki-Asahi for very little money.

Cost $2450 for sensor, all adjustments, and replace the vulcanite. Not sure why the latter was in there, as there isn't a problem with the covering.

That's a lot of coin…how exactly was the scratch caused ? I can't see how a commercially made sensor swab could do this. Also, do you see anything in your photos that could be the result of the scratch ? I'd hold off with giving them the go ahead until you feel comfortable with the answers. fwiw, I've never heard of ANYONE scratching their sensors. None. ymmv

That's a lot of coin…how exactly was the scratch caused ? I can't see how a commercially made sensor swab could do this. Also, do you see anything in your photos that could be the result of the scratch ? I'd hold off with giving them the go ahead until you feel comfortable with the answers. fwiw, I've never heard of ANYONE scratching their sensors. None. ymmv

If what the OP thought was dust on the sensor was actually sand, then using a swab could scratch the surface of the cover glass.

If what the OP thought was dust on the sensor was actually sand, then using a swab could scratch the surface of the cover glass.

That's probably why we normally use air, then fine and clean brush followed by swabs to clean it up. Oh well, but who is perfect....?

I'll call them to clarify the full expense. Like I said, I never cleaned the sensor with force, and the "scratch" is in a random direction, not along the axis of cleaning. I believe them when they call it a scratch, because I really couldn't clean it off. But, I can't imagine how it happened as I never dropped anything on the sensor or had the lenses off except for frequently swapping them and occasionally swabbing the sensor.

The only consolation is that I receive back a factory-serviced, M9 much cheaper than replacing it.

I will be super careful in the future.

Complete BS!
F.O. Leica!

The least efficient and most irresponsible company in photography.
Leicas relevance is completely in the rearview.

I would not give them a penny if I was you.
Sorry to bust the mood but... this is just crap... $2500 for a sensor... balls!

Back