Ouch! Cost of Swapping in a New Sensor on my M9

Leica replaces the sensors with the flaking problem for free. Due to the scratch they need to charge you, but they quoted me 1000$ in last December. However, they replaced it for free after they realized the sensor was delaminating.

Cost $2450 for sensor, all adjustments, and replace the vulcanite. Not sure why the latter was in there, as there isn't a problem with the covering.

They have to remove the covering to open up the camera. A lot of the screws are under the leather. It's the same for anyone who has a custom cover and sends their Leica in for shutter service. Leica takes off your pretty blue calf skin cover and replaces it with their factory standard. It just has to be done.

The covering isn't hard to take off. In fact it's pretty easy. The thing is it's difficult to remove in one piece. The glue that holds it on is stronger than the leather itself. Like peeling a shipping label from a box. The nice thing is unlike a lot of other companies, to Leica replacing the cover doesn't void the warranty.

It seems expensive but the cameras are expensive. Compared to a D800 or 5d3 I bet a lot of those are "totaled" when it comes to repairs because $2000 is as much as the camera is worth. Thomas Hogan wrote that he saw two D800s end up being trashed after minor falls bent the lens mount, requiring a new chassis and all the labor to move and test all the components. It wasn't worth it. At least an M9 is worth fixing.

Leica NJ fixed and returned my M9. Charged me "only" $1,900.

As I said, that is cheaper than a new (used) M9. And, I really like the M9. Definitely over the M240, which for the price should never have been released without an EVF as good or better than the Olympus or Sony. Actually, it is about the Leica lenses. It does seem to me that while Leica can justify the high price of the lenses, they should sell the camera for much less. Either that or offer an upgrade program... by swapping the internals or the whole camera.

Looking at focus with my 50mm Lux at f/1.4, the Rangefinder is spot on. Well, you do have to match up the rangefinder spot very carefully, to get within a half inch at 6 feet.

I received very courteous service and response. Returned well before their estimate.

Will be putting my M6 and some of my Pentax lenses up for sale soon.

This points up why I am unlikely to ever be able to justify owning a digital Leica M body. Even if I could hack the price of admission, if something ever required serious repair I would be screwed. At least with my M6 Don could get it going again for a few hundred.

This is also why I pine for a FF Fuji X body that has a well integrated M adapter with a six bit reader that allows embedding of lens data in the EXIF for later processing. It is likely to be the only way I can ever afford a direct view FF platform for my M lenses.

Won't it be the filter glass in front of the sensor that got scratched and not the sensor itself?

Yes. But if they aren't doing something very different than all other sensor manufacturers, the cover is glued/welded onto the sensor assembly before the latter ever leaves the cleanroom. Replacing it without adding even more dust means removing the sensor from the body and PCB in a environment with all tools required for chip fabrication and analysis - at which point the cost will exceed that for a module replacement...

Raid is about to go through this.......

I bought mine, fresh from rebuild in NJ, new sensor etc. , for 3500 in Jan 14. It appeared new. 5k clicks I think. It's been fantastic. But you never know......LOL

I blow it out once a week or so, because I do get dust I have to remove from the skies in LR. So far I have not dared a wet clean, but it's going to need one.

I use it a lot in the backcountry, with numerous lenses, and sometimes there can be dust in the air.

photo (2) by unoh7, on Flickr

1900 sounds a bit rich. 600 seems more like it.

Yes. But if they aren't doing something very different than all other sensor manufacturers, the cover is glued/welded onto the sensor assembly before the latter ever leaves the cleanroom. Replacing it without adding even more dust means removing the sensor from the body and PCB in a environment with all tools required for chip fabrication and analysis - at which point the cost will exceed that for a module replacement...

I'm surprised. There seem to be a few companies that switch the filter for broad spectrum/IR/etc. use, normally for quite a modest sum. I doubt there are many if any people doing IR conversion for digital Leicas, but switching the filter without replacing the sensors seems a pretty standard and inexpensive process for most digital cameras.

I'm surprised. There seem to be a few companies that switch the filter for broad spectrum/IR/etc. use, normally for quite a modest sum. I doubt there are many if any people doing IR conversion for digital Leicas, but switching the filter without replacing the sensors seems a pretty standard and inexpensive process for most digital cameras.

That is a operation where the workshops can get away with a little damage - compared to infrared film, even a sensor with a few blemishes is a significant improvement. I don't think people would accept a M9 with a little dust and some dead pixels, even if that means they could get that repair for $500.

It seems expensive but the cameras are expensive. Compared to a D800 or 5d3 I bet a lot of those are "totaled" when it comes to repairs because $2000 is as much as the camera is worth. Thomas Hogan wrote that he saw two D800s end up being trashed after minor falls bent the lens mount, requiring a new chassis and all the labor to move and test all the components. It wasn't worth it. At least an M9 is worth fixing.

I understand the reasoning here but IMHO the only reason I would repair the M9 is because I overpaid to own the M9 to start with. It might serve me better as a business right off at this point. These digital cameras are no more than a computer with a lens & as fast as computers evolve, they are obsolete when they hit the shelf to begin sales.

If Leica offered low cost sensor replacement, wouldn't that be a tacit confession that the high price of a Leica camera is essentially an admission price?

I don't own any electronic Leicas. All film, manual, no light meter.

Don't think I will buy any.

However, I will say that I have Canon digital SLR's. I still use a 20D that I bought in 2004 and it still works just fine. It has taken quite a few photos.

Roger Cicala reports the M9 has a thin cover glass (0.8 mm). This is what would be damaged by a scratch. Whether or not the cover glass can be replaced without swapping the entire sensor assembly is another matter.

Back