Pentax 67 Gas!

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
3:24 AM
I have it … and I can’t help thinking about those BIG 6x7 negatives shot from a camera that will more than make up for any inadequacies in certain body parts!

‘le vrai rdu’ has it also I’ve noticed in one of his recent posts … not sure about his perceived inadequacies though … that’s probably just my issue! :D

As much as I like my Hasselblad I prefer to be able to shoot at eye level and in spite of reports of the big Pentax being far from ideal for hand held shooting I’ve seen images that suggest otherwise. Some advice and reports from happy users whether tripod mounted for landscapes or brave hand held street shooters would be much valued.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Keith, I used a Pentax 6x7 for a little over 20 years, from the early 1970s, and it was superb. I'm moderately heavily built, with large hands, and I found its ergonomics to be excellent. Its weight never bothered me, although I appreciate that others have a different view. I bought the grip, but never used it seriously because I found the 6x7 so easy to hold by itself. Of course, you put your left hand under the body and the right one on the side, reaching over to the release. I found that particularly comfortable, hour after hour.

I used the 90mm, 105, 165 and 200mm lenses a great deal, and occasionally used the 400mm EDIF and 55mm lenses. For the first four lenses in this list I seldom employed a tripod, because I needed to work fast. In fact, the weight of the camera is an asset here--it resists sudden camera movements. Because my subjects were often moving reasonably fast I usually employed shutter speeds of 1/250 or 1/500, but even at lower speeds, down to 1/60 for slow-moving subjects, I seldom had problems with mirror slap. The mirror swings back at the same time as it goes up, and that makes the problem less serious.

However, I find it hard to envisage using the camera for street photography. It's size is only a part of the issue--the noise it makes when the mirror comes down is not what you'd call discreet!

Make sure you get the metered prism. Back in the 80s the second-hand market was saturated with used unmetered prisms. Everyone who bought one seemed to trade it in quickly on the metered variety. I found the meter very accurate, not least because its averaging mode was easy to predict. (With centre-weighted meters I tend to have difficulty figuring out what it's reading.) I always had the older 6x7 bodies and metered prisms, not the newer, matrix-patterned prisms and 67 bodies.

For a while I even used two bodies, holding 100 ASA and 200 ASA transparency film respectively. I'll agree that the weight then was significant, but it was not too bad. I could run fairly fast with a single 6x7 and a 90 to 200mm lens, but with two it was more of a challenge ;-) Nettar

I have it … and I can’t help thinking about those BIG 6x7 negatives shot from a camera that will more than make up for any inadequacies in certain body parts!

‘le vrai rdu’ has it also I’ve noticed in one of his recent posts … not sure about his perceived inadequacies though … that’s probably just my issue! :D

As much as I like my Hasselblad I prefer to be able to shoot at eye level and in spite of reports of the big Pentax being far from ideal for hand held shooting I’ve seen images that suggest otherwise. Some advice and reports from happy users whether tripod mounted for landscapes or brave hand held street shooters would be much valued.

Thanks in advance. :)

Seem to be plenty of them around, Igor has a couple. Price is good enough so you can try it and sell if you do not like it. People I know who like them love them, others not. J

I can't say I'm particularly struck by the looks of the camera or any Pentax for that matter but I like what I read it's capable of. The range of focal lengths available and the ability to shoot quite close interests me ... this is where my RF645 falls down somewhat!

I thought briefly about a prism finder for the 500cm but I've heard it's far from ideal and makes the camera rather unwieldy.

le vrai rdu described the sound of the Pentax's shutter as being similar to someone falling down stairs! :p

I recently traded in my Mamiya 6 for a Pentax 67ii with AE prism and 90mm lens and am pretty happy. The 90mm lens is compact and light, and has a lovely signature. Of course, compact and light doesn't mean much when the body and prism weigh so much. Everything feels wonderful, from the solid body to the smoothness of the focusing. Close focus is 0.65m, which I use a lot. The viewfinder is big and bright, and there are no problems acquiring focus. I'm growing to like 6x7 format too.

I shoot handheld only, and have achieved satisfactory sharpness (for me) on at least one shot at 1/25 s, so the mirror slap issue has been a red herring. What has been more of a problem has been the weight. It's heavy to carry around. Once raised to the face, it handles brilliantly, but I have to say that when shooting in portrait orientation, I think my hands are less steady than they might be, so I tend to opt for landscape orientation.

I'm verging on ecstatic. This is a wonderful camera. The only other criticism is the max 1/30 s flash sync with most lenses, but I don't use flash.

I recently traded in my Mamiya 6 for a Pentax 67ii with AE prism and 90mm lens and am pretty happy. The 90mm lens is compact and light, and has a lovely signature. Of course, compact and light doesn't mean much when the body and prism weigh so much. Everything feels wonderful, from the solid body to the smoothness of the focusing. Close focus is 0.65m, which I use a lot. The viewfinder is big and bright, and there are no problems acquiring focus. I'm growing to like 6x7 format too.

I shoot handheld only, and have achieved satisfactory sharpness (for me) on at least one shot at 1/25 s, so the mirror slap issue has been a red herring. What has been more of a problem has been the weight. It's heavy to carry around. Once raised to the face, it handles brilliantly, but I have to say that when shooting in portrait orientation, I think my hands are less steady than they might be, so I tend to opt for landscape orientation.

I'm verging on ecstatic. This is a wonderful camera. The only other criticism is the max 1/30 s flash sync with most lenses, but I don't use flash.

That setup that you have is the exact one that interests me and it sounds like you're very happy with it!

As much as I like my RF645 I'm tending to see less point in the 6x4.5 negative these days so I think the Bronica may go to fund a Pentax because of this ... between it and a Hassy I should have medium format covered.

What did the Pentax setup cost you incidentally? ... I would hope that my RF645 with 65mm and 100mm lenses would cover the cost or a possible trade for someone who wants to venture into RF land with MF and a lighter camera than the 6x7 SLR.

Definitely give it a try Keith.

You can shoot at 1/60 handheld with the 105mm.

It's just a giant SLR so you'll feel at home.

For about $300 you should be able to get a 6x7 + 90 or 105.

I don't think the P67II is worth it. When you're shooting 10 frames a roll you don't need a rapid fire camera.

3362929477_2eb4a8e08f.jpg

Last edited:
i had one for a while, and like many others found the vibration issue to be a myth. you can handhold it to 1/focal length just like any other classic slr. the first time i saw one, i was surprised by how small and light it really is. the only reason i sold it was that i didn't really need a 6x7 slr, and i wear glasses so i couldn't see the whole viewfinder screen (it's huge). that was before i knew that the 67ii plain prism has a lower magnification and can still mount on the older versions. had i known, i might not have sold it!

Thanks for the example pic Ari, very nice ... the last 6x7 with mirror lock up I saw sell on eBay Oz went for around $700.00 with a couple of lenses from memory.

The problem with these things is that if you buy them out of Oz you know the post is going to be a killer because of the weight and bulk!

This would be nice if it stayed at the current price of around $1400.00 LINK

I suggest you to go BIGGER, Keith. Why not go 612 or 617? That should ease your GAS for quite some time, I hope !

I suggest you to go BIGGER, Keith. Why not go 612 or 617? That should ease your GAS for quite some time, I hope !

Not familiar with 612 or 617 so I googled ... :eek: Not a lot of shots per roll though I gather! :D

I do seem to have this thing for large cameras though ... my Crown Graphic is one of my favourites and I have to confess to actually liking the bulk and weight of my D700!

There's no hope for me! :p

Last edited:
Well, Keith, sounds like you've heard the siren song! How about selling-off the Hasselblad and keeping the Bronica? That along with the P67 would make for versatility.

As a long-time fan of the 6x7 series, I have two of them, plus two of the newer P67II, and most lenses up to 300mm excluding the fisheye and tilt-shift. Neither of the leaf-shutter lenses either, as I don't do flash. But I do also have the 55-100 zoom, weighs a ton. The 90 is most compact, though the newer and less common 75mm f/2.8 Aspherical is my favorite walkaround lens.

My original 6x7 has no mirror lockup, so I'm not in the habit of using that feature, even on the newer bodies. Have not used a tripod since I did a "Van Gogh moonrise at sunset" project with the 200mm. Fire scene below with the 75/2.8

attachment.php

The 6x7 negative is indeed nice. I discovered it over 30 years ago with my Mamiya Super Press 23. It is probably not as heavy as the Pentax, but naturally not as light as a 35mm SLR. And it doesn't permit viewing through the lens as an SLR does. You can do it but must use a ground glass. It doesn't have the selection of lenses of the Pentax, and it's getting harder to find the 50mm. It does have interchangable backs (can use 220), extention tubes, and a surprisingly 35mm like ease of use. Again, they are getting hard to find, but it is capable of sheet film use.

It is not an SLR if that is what you wish in 6x7, but is worthy of consideration.

@Keith - I traded my Mamiya 6 with 50mm lens, and paid £100 on top to get the Pentax 67ii with AE prism and 90mm lens.

Back