Pentax 67 Gas!

Dn't get an early one. In the place I worked in the late 70s we had 3 in order to keep 2 in circulation. Can't remember what the probems were: I almost never used the thing, though I did try some street photography with it. It was... OK.

Street photography with a Linhof Tech 70 is quite fun, and it's a bigger '6x7' too (72mm long - I seem to recall that the Pentax is 68mm).

Cheers,

R.

Have you considered staying with a rangefinder and go with the lighter Mamiya 7? Great lenses as well so not a bad package if you ask me... (can you tell I'm tempted to get one myself?)..

Have you considered staying with a rangefinder and go with the lighter Mamiya 7? Great lenses as well so not a bad package if you ask me... (can you tell I'm tempted to get one myself?)..

I have considered that option occasionally but it comes back to the P67's ability to focus down to .65 meter, I think that's right ... and the amazing range of lenses available.

The frame lines on my RF645 are not much better than my M8 IMO ... vague at best when trying to frame accurately and I would assume the Mamiya's would be much the same?

I was just thinking about getting a 67. Where do you suggest would be good place to look (other than ebay)?

Carlo

+1 in favor of the 67. It's an amazing camera and I love the 105mm (My Norita handles the same as the 67, but the lens flares like a ...).
I love big cameras, also out on the street, big rather than discrete can produce some interesting photo opportunities.

I have to admit the GAS is here, not yet the money :D

a friend lend it to me for a few days, quite an impressive camera but very easy to use, just a bigger SLR than usual :D

I while developpe the uninteresting pictures I made with it (the last horse race I shot with the P67 II was completely boring :( )

I hate to brag.... but what the hell :p I got my series 1 6x7 for $60aud and the 105 takumar for $40aud in a secondhand camera shop in tokyo. It works flawlessly and is in great condition.

It's probably the most pleasurable camera to use that I've owned so far and the one lens that I have - an early 105mm f2.5 takumar, is just gorgeous. The negatives are quite staggering in term of detail and the bokeh from the 105mm is so lovely. I shot a roll of neopan 400 in Tokyo, and at 1/60th shutter speed, shooting out of a hotel window, the details in my scan (scanned with a lowly epson v600) are pretty crazy. I might post it up in a sec...

I feel like changing my Rolleiflex T (after 2 years and 100 rolls) for some MF with AE. Had briefly Pentax 645N with 45-85/4.5 at home (returned it because of some problems) and now have really hard time to decide which way to go - 645 or 6x7 (P67II) or "just" some RF (Mamiya 7 or RF645).

Anyhow - I do like the AE option so it seems that in the case of P67 I woudl have to get the "II" version. However these seem to be hard to find. I have seen a few with AE prism and 105mm lens for £1000 what seems a bit too steep to me.

So - what is actually a fair price for the P67II with the AE prism and 105mm lens today?

Hey Keith I have had the exact same thoughts as you for a long time. There have been some really cheap P67 kits on APUG recently...$150ish for beat up bodies and lenses. A good way to test out the beast I'd say.

Irv L, a friend of mine had nothing but troubles with his early one. Put it in several times and it never stood up to light professional use. YMMV.

B2

I wonder whether the problems mentioned in connection with the big Pentax need to be put into perspective. Cameras today are significantly more reliable than before, owing partly to new materials as well as new technology. When I used Pentax 6x7s, in the 1970s, 80s and early 90s, they were about as reliable as any other reflex medium format camera at that time. I had three bodies in all, and no problems with any of them--in particular, no problems with the shutter, meter or wind-on mechanism. (I heard of potential difficulties with the latter, but never experienced them.) On the other hand, I had friends who had no end of bother with their Hasselblads--a much more complicated system in many ways, and simply more things to go wrong. Nettar

Last edited:
Street photography with a Linhof Tech 70 is quite fun, and it's a bigger '6x7' too (72mm long - I seem to recall that the Pentax is 68mm).

Cheers,

R.
Most of the 'street' photos I capture with mine seem to be of people tripping over themselves because they're too busy staring at the Linhof to look where they're going.

Londoners are a funny bunch.

I have many 6x6 cameras and for some reason my 6x7 is the 'one' I like the best. I do like square format but when you see that 6x7 negative or especially a transparency it is heaven. I handhold even though everyone thinks it can't be done, C-41, handheld:

2812448426_5b583591de.jpg

this 55 mm f4 isn't a crappy lens, it is full of details :D
The pentax 67 can be easily used as a street camera, too bad your subject get deaf once you made your picture :(

Too bad I have to give back this lens to its owner but my bessa R system is kept as an hostage :(

Last edited:
this 55 mm f4 isn't a crappy lens, it is full of details :D
The pentax 67 can be easily used as a street camera, too bad your subject get deaf once you made your picture :(

too bad I have to give back this lens to its owner but my bessa R system is kept as an hostage :(

I have now joined the Pentax Forum and will hang around there a bit more often and study the MF threads. :D

I'm also watching that 67ii system on Oz ebay to see where it goes ... and my Bronica RF645 is looking nervous along with some other gear that doesn't see the daylight too often!

it looks like a 28 mm on 24x36 :) but off course, you have more vertical space, the comparaison between these two format is therefore limited :D

I will try to pick up a pentax system as soon as I get some job (studies ends in a month or so :D )

I agree the camera is easy to handle, all the controls are just where you want them and focusing and shooting is just like a 35mm slr. I bought the wood grip but returned it because it was more hindrance than help. Of course you can shoot it in the street. I got great results at 1/30th hand held with the 90mm lens. It's loud - so what. So is the street.

I don't use mine much any more because I much prefer the square format. And I'd sell it if it were worth real money but they go for so little now, I'd just assume hold on to it!

I wonder whether the problems mentioned in connection with the big Pentax need to be put into perspective. Cameras today are significantly more reliable than before, owing partly to new materials as well as new technology. When I used Pentax 6x7s, in the 1970s, 80s and early 90s, they were about as reliable as any other reflex medium format camera at that time. I had three bodies in all, and no problems with any of them--in particular, no problems with the shutter, meter or wind-on mechanism. (I heard of potential difficulties with the latter, but never experienced them.) On the other hand, I had friends who had no end of bother with their Hasselblads--a much more complicated system in many ways, and simply more things to go wrong. Nettar

All of the issues i heard about with regard to P67 reliability were from fashion photographers who really abused the wind mechanism, trying to shoot rapidfire.

When i was trying to shoot fashion, i had a Pentax 67II and an older model. The older one was fitted with a dedicated Polaroid back. I never understood claims that the older body was as nice to use as the II. The II is very much more refined and comfortable to handle. The older body just feels primitive. But, even after the II was released, you'd still see superfamous fashion photogs using those older bodies, usually with that big wood grip - another item i just never understood....

Of course you can handhold the Pentax. In daylight, especially. The problem comes at a specific shutter speed range, when even on a tripod, the vibration is an issue. Above 1/60, i think you're okay, and faster is definitely better if you want critical sharpness.

Its resemblance to a big 35mm SLR drew me to the 6x7 in the first place. The Pentax left-side wood handgrip doesn't match that style, and I never felt comfortable with it. Though with a focus-assist lever clamped to the lens, and a big flash unit in the grip's shoe, it might make for a useful working tool.

I found a guy on eBay selling his home-shop made right side wooden grips, that fit close to the body, for a feel similar to the 67II's built-in grip. I don't know how many he made, but I got two, and I don't see him around any more.

attachment.php

This is the first time I've heard the Pentax described as small and light. I've never held one, but one day the local camera repair person went to the back of his shop (cave) and came back w/ one. My eyes bugged out. He tried to hand it to me but I wouldn't take it. It looked immense, and I am sure it is darned heavy, even when compared to your 'blad. The image quality is surely great, but a Hasselblad is about as big as I want to go for a walk around camera.

I second Krosya's idea of just putting a prism on your 'blad. I have one on mine, and while it adds a lot of bulk and weight to the camera the view through the thing is just incredible. But you've probably already thought of this, and nothing but the Pentax is going to do it for you. At the prices they're selling for, just buy one. If it turns out to be not your cup of tea, sell it and you should only take a small hit. Might even break even.

Back