Pentax 67 Gas!

so I was about to sell my P67... now all I want is to go out and shoot with it, too bad its raining.

img0251ml.jpg

Is everything shot with it as beautiful as the pics in this tread? Starting to wonder about my own kit. But maybe I just should use it more. (instead of buying yet another camera (67)).

Is everything shot with it as beautiful as the pics in this tread? Starting to wonder about my own kit. But maybe I just should use it more. (instead of buying yet another camera (67)).

It's a pretty good camera the only downside is the mass of the thing! ;D

I hold all of you responsible for my latest purchase - a Pentax 67 with a 90mm and 55mm. Should be here next week... This is going to be too much fun. My justification is that I have two perfect projects for it and that I bought it with a fee from a small story I recently sold to a regional magazine. It's a strategic investment ;)

I hold all of you responsible for my latest purchase - a Pentax 67 with a 90mm and 55mm. Should be here next week... This is going to be too much fun. My justification is that I have two perfect projects for it and that I bought it with a fee from a small story I recently sold to a regional magazine. It's a strategic investment ;)

You won't regret it. I'm constantly impressed with the images mine delivers. It's a lot of fun to use, and the weight of the thing doesn't bother me so much. I regularly take it on hikes because once you get some pictures from it back, you realize how foolish it can be to use 35mm for landscapes sometimes.

Woo hoo! I just had a happy GAS attack... I scored a Pentax 67 kit for a huge discount at auction. It included the following:

Pentax 67II Body
300mm F/4 ED
600mm F/4
135mm F/4 macro
55-100mm F/4 zoom
75mm F/4.5 shift

I think the guy must have been a landscape/birder or something as there was also a second 67II body, a 400mm and a 500mm lens that I didn't win. Crazy stuff. Hopefully I'll be joining your ranks soon...

I may be going to the Eastern Sierras, Yosemite, Mono Lake, etc. in September. I am totally torn between taking a 4x5 field camera and 3 lenses or The Beast and 3 lenses. The samples here and my own motley assortment of negatives and transparencies aren't helping me to decide.

Thanks to all for sharing your fabulous work!

Wayne

How many shots do you intend to shoot? I find messing with holders and recording data on them, plus loading and unloading when traveling is just too much. So, mostly I take my 6x7 just for convenience.

How many shots do you intend to shoot? I find messing with holders and recording data on them, plus loading and unloading when traveling is just too much. So, mostly I take my 6x7 just for convenience.

I have a quickish system, I get coloured stickers from a stationary shop, one set with numbers on and one with out. I then use the plain ones according to film type when loading film and the numbered ones to indicate exposure information i.e. red for Foma100 and blue for FP4 then blue1 for - 1stop and green1 for + 1 stop and so on. It works out well in the field unless you want to add place data etc, I use a notebook for that data along with numbered films or holders.

I know you are totally correct. It's more a matter of principle. Silly, but true for me. You know. Follow in the footsteps of the Ancient Ones and all that clap trap. Truth be known, with a bit of planning, exposure blending and stitching, I could probably get better results with my digital camera and lenses.
On the other hand, I have been saving two 20 sheet boxes of film for a special occasion. One of Tmax 100 Readyloads & the other of Velvia 50 Quickloads. Yosemite seems like the perfect special occasion to use them.
I don't fool with matching exposure to development. I'm not that fussy. On the other hand, adding my Harrison Changing Tent to the pile of stuff needed to support 4x5 is daunting. I'm thinking that with the 40 sheets of Ready/Quick Loads, a Grafmatic, 5 holders, 36 sheets of TXP-320 and a changing bag wouldn't be all that difficult.
Then I remind myself that the film fridge is full of 120 & 220 in various emulsions. There may even be room for the Hasselblad along with the Pentax 6x7.

What to do? What to do? No worries. The trip probably won't even happen. I am mostly just thinking out loud.

Wayne

I know you are totally correct. It's more a matter of principle. Silly, but trye for me. You know. Follow in the footsteps of the Ancient Ones and all that clap trap. Truth be known, with a bit of planning, exposure blending and stitching, I could probably get better results with my digital camera and lenses.
On the other hand, I have been saving two 20 sheet boxes of film for a special occasion. One of Tmax 100 Readyloads & the other of Velvia 50 Quickloads. Yosemite seems like the perfect special occasion to use them.
I don't fool with matching exposure to development. I'm not that fussy. On the other hand, adding my Harrison Changing Tent to the pile of stuff needed to support 4x5 is daunting. I'm thinking that with the 40 sheets of Ready/Quick Loads, a Grafmatic, 5 holders, 36 sheets of TXP-320 and a changing bag wouldn't be all that difficult.
Then I remind myself that the film fridge is full of 120 & 220 in various emulsions. There may even be room for the Hasselblad along with the Pentax 6x7.

What to do? What to do? No worries. The trip probably won't even happen. I am mostly just thinking out loud.

Wayne

You HAVE to come to California, with all it's craziness there are some very beautiful places. Yosemite now is like the old Yogi Berra quote: 'Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.' Finding tripod room is a challenge. But it is still something to see. The coastal area just south of Carmel is great and the home and palette of the great John Sexton. Look him up and check his work online.

This is Yosemite in about 1950, taken by my father-in-law, with Kodachrome:

2390398684_088c3e1848.jpg

2389563439_e84ffa39fd.jpg

You're killing me. My one and only visit to Yosemite Valley was in 1956. We were living in Atwater while my Dad learned to fly a B-52. My folks decided to drive up to Yosemite one Sunday. I think we were actually out of the car a couple hours. I do remember waling into the Kodak Film log cabin with my Brownie Hawkeye. I sitll have it. By golly! It is going with me.

If this trip happens, I will be confined to the area around Mono Lake and Yosemite Park. I know. Terrible to be confined to such a small part of the state. I think I will be able to handle it. I have to quite thinking about it until I know for sure that I'm going.

Cheers to your dad for the lovely photos. Kodachrome should have been declared a National Treasure and re-issued in medium and large format. For documentation purposes don't you know.

Heck, I may just take one of each format camera I own. Maybe not.

Wayne

Back