Pentax 67 Gas!

When I was still shooting for clients, money and photo credits I had in my arsenal of cameras a Pentax 6X7 with TTL pentaprism. Along with the body I had a nice selection of lenses. Did I haul it around for every location shoot, no. I did enjoy looking at those big, luscious transparencies, as did clients. I would get the films processed commercially, the cut each frame, then mount them for easy handling and protection. Did I ever walk around with the camera and lens, yes, but then my neck would tell me when to stop. You can hand hold it provided you have fast film and decent lighting, and you subject is stationary. Most of my shooting with the Pentax 6x7 was done on a Gitzo 3 series tripod, with a Gitzo pan and tilt head, cable release preferred. Shooting 6x7 format is very satisfying.

I took some of my best black and white photos with a Pentax 67. I traded it for a Hasselblad, and with a few exceptions, I don't think my work was ever the same again. I dumped the Pentax because it had a habit of draining the battery in mid-exposure, losing the shot. So I traded that problem for film-back problems of overlapping shots, light leaks, and trouble focusing.

Back