Arizona people from AZ

Oh Two said:
May I suggest a shoot at Kartchner Caverns if the Tucson area is the goal?
I live in Phoenix, and whether the town looks like California or not I would go for something a little more like Benson.

Bisbee is a little too much of walking on the wild side for me. Phoenix already has plenty of gay bars and galleries to visit.

I'm told there is no photography in the caverns, but does anyone from the Tucson area know if the the park itself would make a good shoot?

I'm actually headed to Kartchner Caverns in April for my son's birthday (they get to pick road trips for their birthdays).
I've never been there, but I have been in the area...not much going except possibly Tombstone.

I'd love to make Bisbee...I just don't see how my schedule will allow it.

Rangefinder gathering

Rangefinder gathering

Oh Two said:
May I suggest a shoot at Kartchner Caverns if the Tucson area is the goal?
I live in Phoenix, and whether the town looks like California or not I would go for something a little more like Benson.

Bisbee is a little too much of walking on the wild side for me. Phoenix already has plenty of gay bars and galleries to visit.

I'm told there is no photography in the caverns, but does anyone from the Tucson area know if the the park itself would make a good shoot?

The caverns exterior is no different from any other hill in southern Arizona, and is one reason why it's location remained a secret for so many years. There's just nothing special to it.

There are some spectacular places around here though. Consider Cochise Stronghold West, or Chirachua National Forest's Wonderland of Rocks, or Ramsey Canyon's Hummingbird Preserve.

dazedgonebye said:
That's ok. I'm going to sell one of them my house for 3 times what I paid for it.

In 1999 I got married and moved back to NE for a few years. Before we moved we thought about buying a house and didn't.
When we moved back a couple years back we saw how prices had rose and talked about how we should have bought a house back when.
Then the Tucson housing boom started and we were really bemoaning that we didn't buy a house either time.
Now we the prices seem to have stabilized and we are thinking of buying again. That means that either another boom will happen before we buy or we'll get a house and then the bubble will burst and Tucson will run out of water and our house will be worthless.

Chad

ChadHahn said:
In 1999 I got married and moved back to NE for a few years. Before we moved we thought about buying a house and didn't.
When we moved back a couple years back we saw how prices had rose and talked about how we should have bought a house back when.
Then the Tucson housing boom started and we were really bemoaning that we didn't buy a house either time.
Now we the prices seem to have stabilized and we are thinking of buying again. That means that either another boom will happen before we buy or we'll get a house and then the bubble will burst and Tucson will run out of water and our house will be worthless.

Chad

1999 is when I built my current house. Very good time to get in to the market.
You may kick yourself now... :)

I know, I looked at a house then. It was a 1950s house that needed some updating but was large, had a big pool surrounded by producing fruit trees and was $120,000.

Chad

Andy:

I'll definitely be at the camera show. I'll see if desert shooter wants to come along. He and I and two others (one a lady MD) have put together a very nice photolab and studio in Old Bisbee. Might be the only dark room in the West with a 14' ceiling.

I'm 5'9", have a gray beard, will be wearing a baseball cap with a small hummingbird on its front, and carrying a Voigtlander Bessa R and a Pentax DSLR.

Ted

Went to the camera show and met Andy K. Very nice fellow. Almost bought a Barnack Leica. But it was too difficult to see through. Maybe there's a trick to it.

As I was talking to Andy, someone walked out the door with a beautiful as-new Yashica Electro 35 GSN that he had just bought for ten bucks.

Why didn't I get there earlier?

Ted

Ted, it was such a pleasure to meet you in person. I wish we'd had more time to chat but my son had given me a "deadline", I think he wanted to see the pretty models :)

From your description of Bisbee, it sounds like it woud be an interesting photo-meet if we could get one organized.

Anyone available to get out and do some shooting of the cameras this weekend?

My wife is out of town for several weeks, and I'm itching to get out and do some "fun" photography?

Ray

Well, you succeeded in resuscitating this thread. My consolations regarding Yuma. Miserable heat. How do I know this? I used to work across the Colorado River in the El Centro/Calexico/Brawley. Discovered there was a tri-cities in hades.

On the other hand, old town by the river has its charms, especially the micro-brewery run by a Brit.

What with the current hate-Arizona mood in the country, perhaps we should keep our residency a secret...

I don't hate AZ. In fact, I might like it quite a bit.

But I'm curious what the REAL residents (you know, the important ones-- those who shoot rangefinders) think of the recent legislation?

I'm not trolling here. I seriously want to know. I've heard quotes that 75% of voters favor it.

I really don't know, statewide, but down here most of us think Jan Brewer's nuts. It's already a crime to be in the US illegally. I think the law was passed to embarrass the feds and motivate them to put more boots on the ground along the AZ/Mex border.

I don't see how this new law will work. I mean, a cop can ask for proof of citizenship, right? The Supremes already decided that a US citizen cannot be compelled to carry identification. So if the suspect has no papers, how will they know they are dealing with an undoc?

Yup, it'll all come down to skin and accent.

Sheriff Joe What'a Ya Know?

Sheriff Joe What'a Ya Know?

I guess he's not running for gubner.

If he was gubner Arizona and Texas make their own nation (Texarzona) and go to war and conquer Mexico. Then Texarzona could join in with Nevada (Texarnevazona) and convince all the rest of the Republicans to retire there with the condition that only white Christians are allowed. So that the orange and holiday market could be cornered and Jesus will be convinced to return Israel would be asked to join Texarnevazona as a Commonwealth. All the Mexicans could then immigrate from Texarnevazonamexico and take up residency in Palestine (Texarnevazonamexicobutwasisrael), leaving Texarnevazonamexico all white Christian and Republican. Yay! I hear Gabriel's trumpet already!

But, Sheriff Joe isn't running for gubner.

I'm in Litchfield Park, west side of town. Most people in AZ love people of all colors and origin. Then again you don't see hordes of Ukranians living here illegally so the charge of racism and/or ignorance as you seem to imply is largely unfounded.

Sherrif Arpaio is a saint who has been chasing corruption and law breakers out of this state for years.

More of America is behind AZ than the highly vocal opposition would have you believe.

I believe in protest and honest discussion, but what are they trying to say? It should be ok to sneak over the border and hide behind claims of racism?

Picture I took at a recent rally downtown:

4584894979_972c2dba52_o.jpg

What's in your backyard?

What's in your backyard?

Glad to see the AZ group bumped. Although AZ isn't much to brag about. Can't even support a decent camera show. Isn't there some sort of renowned art/photography school at ASU? If that rumor is true you sure don't hear much about it. I'm getting to hate Phoenix, I mean really hate it. But the winter weather is nice with roses blooming in February. So I'm making plans to sell the house and buy a submarine in the desert and travel/work/take shots. With national health care i don't have to worry about that expense. :eek: From the talk and picture galleries of this forum and others Arizona ain't where it's at. When I moved here in '91 I think the population of AZ was 4-5 million. It's seems in 2010 that the valley alone supports that many. New Mexico is lookin good. Oh yeah, when you carried a gun you wore it on your hip like a man. Now you hide it in your pants and get drunk at the bar. That makes sense. I know it's a pipe dream but somewhere is America is a functioning somewhat liberal middle class town that has a camera shop, old and new that provides a CLA for under $200.00. Good Gawd Nurse...it's time for my drugs. Nite Nite.

The Center for Creative Photography is at the University of Arizona in Tucson, not ASU in Tempe. W. Eugene Smith was hired to be its head, but dropped dead before the semester began .

Back