New York PhotoPlusExpo 2016

Makes sense to me Cal. Now, how will you completely "Monsterize" it?

Looks like the R to L adapter is coming soon? Saw on FB that Leica was advertising it. So, you'll be selling the D3x?

John,

You ask such great questions. LOL.

The SL with the Noct-Nikkor mounted via a Novaflex adapter is mucho monsterous. First there is a Leica "M" to "T" adapter that gets stacked with a Novaflex adapter in my latest conversion. Today after work I'm going back to B&H to buy the rated 9+ used LEM/NIK adapter and return the LET/NIK adapter that I bought new.

Not only do I save $25.00, but I gain some flexability, because I want the camera to recognize the Leica adapter to give me the Leica profiles, otherwise with the straight up Novaflex I am left without any lens profiles. There is further exploition involved with re engineering the functional use of the camera since I will likely be ably to mount my 50 Lux "E60" using a Leitax "Almost Auto Aperture" F-mount I have laying around.

Well anyways you can tell I have a boring day job and that a lot of obsessive thinking centers around this camera to keep me awake at work. LOL.

As far as the D3X I think I will send it off to a lab in New Jersey and have the anti alias filter removed to kinda have a D3X that has more of a Leica look to it. I might want to unload the 58/1.4 AF-G if you are looking for a replacement. Eventually I will dedicate my D3X no-AA to the 28/1.4 AF-D as my huge street rig. Boy is that camera a true monster? Kinda porky but a fast shooter. What a beast.

Know that the F5 will share the 28/1.4 AF-D for film.

Cal

I might want to unload the 58/1.4 AF-G if you are looking for a replacement.

Thanks, but I'm sticking with the 50mm 1.8D &G and the 85mm 1.8G. Sometimes I think of getting rid of all the Nikon stuff and getting the Leica Q to go along with my Fujis. Somehow, I think this is not smart.

The Novaflex "F" to "M" adapter stacked now provides a Leica M-lens menu, while the straight "F" to "L" adapter from Novaflex did not.

The next round of testing involves downloading the latest version of firmware to have "R" lens profiles. If my guess is correct I should be able to use my Leitax "F" mount adapter to use the current stack of adapters to mount my 50 Lux "E60" and not have to buy yet another adapter.

The bonus is that I will have a lever to open the iris for critical focusing utilizing a "Almost Auto Aperture" "F" lens mount from Leitax that I already own. Worse case is that I don't use this lever which is like using stop down metering on a perspective control lens, but I have added versatility if I need it.

Anyways the Noct-Nikkor mounted on the SL is a very interesting rig, but it is kinda large because of the rubber hood. The 50 Lux "E60" is likely going to be the most pleasing to the eye due to balanced proportions with its short built in telescopic hood. The M-lenses seem a tad small and not to scale. Realize that the SL body is 1/4 inch wider than my M6 rigged out with a TA Rapidwinder, and about 1/2 inch taller.

If Leica comes out with the SLM know that the bag I bought is sized to fit two SL's. LOL. My Monochrom now looks to be a tiny camera. LOL.

Cal

The Novaflex "F" to "M" adapter stacked now provides a Leica M-lens menu, while the straight "F" to "L" adapter from Novaflex did not.

The next round of testing involves downloading the latest version of firmware to have "R" lens profiles. If my guess is correct I should be able to use my Leitax "F" mount adapter to use the current stack of adapters to mount my 50 Lux "E60" and not have to buy yet another adapter. ...

The SL offers the R lens codes if the M Adapter L is in place and whatever R to M adaptation you use is coded to simulate the R Adapter M. You definitely want to update your SL to the latest firmware release if it's still on v1.1 or v1.2 ... Many enhancements were made and the R lens profiles were updated as well. (There were a few R lens profiles in v1.2 firmware that didn't work very well.)

The R Adapter M also has the benefit of including a removable tripod mounting foot, enabling you to mount the camera on a tripod using a better balance point for the heavier R lenses.

G

The SL offers the R lens codes if the M Adapter L is in place and whatever R to M adaptation you use is coded to simulate the R Adapter M. You definitely want to update your SL to the latest firmware release if it's still on v1.1 or v1.2 ... Many enhancements were made and the R lens profiles were updated as well. (There were a few R lens profiles in v1.2 firmware that didn't work very well.)

The R Adapter M also has the benefit of including a removable tripod mounting foot, enabling you to mount the camera on a tripod using a better balance point for the heavier R lenses.

G

Godfrey,

I'll be updating the firmware this weekend. Currently I have V. 1.2.

I'm really loving the flexibility of this body. I'm able to exploit all the glass I own in new ways, and that creativity is just that.

The Noct-Nikkor is an interesting blend and look. The VF'er is amazing.

Cal

Makes sense to me Cal. Now, how will you completely "Monsterize" it?

Looks like the R to L adapter is coming soon? Saw on FB that Leica was advertising it. So, you'll be selling the D3x?

The R Adapter L was released a few weeks ago. Stocks are somewhat short as yet, but deliveries in the UK and Europe have been happening.

That said, it's not really necessary. The R Adapter M has been available since before the SL shipped, same for the M Adapter L (T). The R Adapter M stacked onto the M Adapter L provides exactly the same R lens profiles that the R Adapter L provides. The benefits to the R Adapter L are as follows:

• Recognition and auto-selection of lens profiles for ROM-equipped R lenses.
  • Less constriction in the physical mount interface, so potentially less vignetting with certain lenses and use situations. *

* With very long telephotos (280mm and longer) the M's 38mm mount diameter used with R lenses in adaptation can cause some vignetting. The R lens mount is 47mm diameter, the SL lens mount is 50mm diameter, so the R Adapter L removes this constriction. But I haven't seen it with any of my R lenses (15mm to 250mm, even with the 2x Extender-R on the 250mm), and see it just a little bit with the old Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens.

The other situation where the vignetting will be less is when using extreme extensions for high magnification macro work such as with the Focusing Bellows-R and Summicron-R 50mm lens set to 2.7:1 magnification. This is such a small part of my photographic endeavors that I deem it to be insignificant.​

The R Adapter L also has one restriction that the two adapter stack does not: just like Leica R8 and R9 bodies, the oldest R lenses with one- or two-cam configuration cannot be used as the cams can damage the ROM contacts. So it is three-cam, R-only, and ROM-equipped R lens compatible only. ROM lenses are automatically recognized and the proper lens code selected; for three-cam and R-only lenses, you manually assign the lens profile.

I've been using the two adapter stack with my R lenses on the SL since November 2015 when I received mine. It works brilliantly. For M lenses that are six-bit coded, the code are recognized and automatically selected, otherwise you have manual assignment and the ability to turn off the lens profiles. For R lenses, all profile assignment is manual, like like with the R Adapter L and non-ROM lenses. It's very easy to assign the lens profile menu to a button on the SL and to edit down the lens profile list (with fw2.0 and later) so you can pick from exactly the lenses you have to work with.

I use some Nikon mount lenses on my SL as well. I fit a Rayqual Nikon F to Leica M mount adapter onto the M Adapter L. I haven't found a reasonable map of Leica lens profiles to Nikkor lenses that produced good results, so I don't bother with coding them at all. The results are excellent anyway, although some of my Nikkors are eclipsed entirely by the Leica R and M lenses (of course).

The SL is a brilliant camera in every way. Of course it's not perfect, nothing ever is, but if I needed diverse capabilities and fast operation, able to use any Leica lens from M, R, S, T, and SL series, as well as adaptable to nearly any other lens system, it is the only camera I would need.

G

Godfrey,

I'll be updating the firmware this weekend. Currently I have V. 1.2.

I'm really loving the flexibility of this body. I'm able to exploit all the glass I own in new ways, and that creativity is just that.

The Noct-Nikkor is an interesting blend and look. The VF'er is amazing.

Cal

Good. Version 2 of the SL firmware fixed several significant bugs and added a few useful features (such as editable lens profile lists, direct EC control, improved R lens profiles, etc). Version 2.1 of the SL firmware added capability to be used with Leica Image Shuttle for wired tethering control with Mac (and Windows soon) computers, and probably a few more fixes and tweaks.

G

Good. Version 2 of the SL firmware fixed several significant bugs and added a few useful features (such as editable lens profile lists, direct EC control, improved R lens profiles, etc). Version 2.1 of the SL firmware added capability to be used with Leica Image Shuttle for wired tethering control with Mac (and Windows soon) computers, and probably a few more fixes and tweaks.

G

Godfrey,

Thank you so much in helping me get through my major GAS attack. The level of flexibility this body offers is amazing. I haven't assigned any custom controls yet. What customiztions have you developed?

My fashion photographer friend Mike has mucho Canon EOS glass. I'm not sure people know that an adapter will soon be released that allows almost full function of all the Canon EOS system capabilities. I believe continuous AF is one exclusion and image stabilization is the other. The adapter is rather costly though, but if one already owns the glass...

I made a big deal out of being able to tether the SL because I see how valuable it is in the studio from shooting with Mike.

It took a few years for Leica to build out the "S" system, but I can't wait till PhotoPlusExpo this year. I can't wait for those Leica surprises. Like when I bought my Monochrom almost 4 years ago, I'm sure the SL will add to my creativity and advance me as a photographer.

Cal

The Novoflex Canon EF to SL adapter has been available for a bit, there's a good bit of discussion regards using it on the Leica Users Forum. It's performance varies with different lenses, but most find it a good asset.

The third SL native lens is due out soon (Lux 50/1.4), all the adapters are released now. The standard and tele zooms are available.. And at their quality and build really constitute a pretty complete system already. And of course, all R and M lenses are very compatible and supported. It's not like the S rollout where everything had to be new from scratch!

I'll post my settings later this afternoon. Have some business to deal with now...

G

The Novoflex Canon EF to SL adapter has been available for a bit, there's a good bit of discussion regards using it on the Leica Users Forum. It's performance varies with different lenses, but most find it a good asset.

The third SL native lens is due out soon (Lux 50/1.4), all the adapters are released now. The standard and tele zooms are available.. And at their quality and build really constitute a pretty complete system already. And of course, all R and M lenses are very compatible and supported. It's not like the S rollout where everything had to be new from scratch!

I'll post my settings later this afternoon. Have some business to deal with now...

G

Godfrey,

Thanks for the insights. I'm kinda keen on the AF 50 Lux. I have been patiently waiting.

Cal

Cal, you make me want to get a Q now for when we hang out. Haha.

John,

The "Q" would also be a great camera for me. I always thought it would be an everyday carry kinda camera, but limited funds and resources made me go all out for the SL.

The "Q" would of been a compromise.

BTW the parting of gear really was not painful at all, and I'm kinda glad that the Wetzlar M6 got left out of the trade in deal. My original thinking was that either the black paint MP with the 0.85 VF'er or the M6 would come home as my film M-body. I let destiny make the decision for me, and I knew better than give up both bodies.

I can see the SL being in my kit a long-long time. I'm in love with the SL, as well as the Monochrom, and pretty much now I could not live without them.

Not so sure you would feel that way with a "Q," but the way things are going (more digital to be an "Urban Gypsy"), and getting serious about doing color printing it seems like a great move for me. I really feel inspired.

Know that because I'm not so far from retiring that I want to live life more fully. YMMV.

Cal

Leica SL - Button Customizations

Godfrey,

Thanks for the insights. I'm kinda keen on the AF 50 Lux. I have been patiently waiting.

Cal

Cal,

I added a thread in the Leica General forum section (subject prefix "Leica SL) with the information we've been sharing on this thread, as well as this one, because I felt it would be best to have it where others who might be interested in the information could find it. Please continue this discussion by replying to those posts rather than this one.

Leica SL information ...
http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157569

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157570

---
I had my SL setup pretty well configured by December 2015 and that setup continues to work well for me. One change from that configuration is that with firmware 2.0 released I've enabled direct Exposure Compensation.

What follows are my basic button settings. They differ just a little in the different user configs:

Button (short press, not editable) :: Long press (editable)
----------------------------------
TL (menu) :: Drive mode
BL (magnification) :: Exposure pattern
TR (review) :: Exposure Compensation
BR (view overlay) :: ISO
-
LV (still/video mode switch) :: Exposure bracketing
FN (normal/aperture/exposure simulation) :: Lens Profiles
video (disabled) :: User Profiles​

I have these settings encapsulated into a User Profile named "RLens", with DNG only at the full frame format and default R lens set to Summilux-R 50mm.*

The same settings swapped over to 1:1 format, DNG+JPEG, B&W rendering with +1 contrast for JPEGs, and default lens profile set to Super-Elmar-R 15mm. This is stored in a user profile named "SWC".

The same basic settings in RLens are also used in two additional user profiles for the native mount Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm lens. One of them has the toggle button set to do AF and the focus mode set to MF ("SLensM"). The other has the focus mode set to AF and the toggle button set to AE-Lock ("SLensA").

enjoy,
G

Thanks, but I'm sticking with the 50mm 1.8D &G and the 85mm 1.8G. Sometimes I think of getting rid of all the Nikon stuff and getting the Leica Q to go along with my Fujis. Somehow, I think this is not smart.

No John, don't do it Keep the Nikon, can't change the lens on a Q!

WOW. The SL with the 50 Lux "E60" renders with mucho depth wide open, and the files look wonderful on my 27 ich EIZO. Anyways I'm inspired.

Yesterday I met Maggie at Broadway and Houston to shoot her after work. The late afternoon light in the shadows we often exploit to capture something urban, but yesterday we were accompanied by "Blair" an intern.

In the world of fashion the photographer is kinda like a project manager who runs a crew, and the only person the photographer has to answer to is the "Art Director" and that art director be "Maggie."

Anyways since I have no assistance or crew, I kinda end up carrying extra shoes, a woman's bag, and being a winter coat rack while trying to get the shot. Anyways Blair is a welcome third set of eyes and kinda is responsible for helping with hair, make-up and assisting with styling.

Anyways it makes a big difference not having to multitask and just concentrating on getting the shots.

It seems the SL is a game changer for me and it is an inspiring camera. It kinda crushes a Nikon D3X.

Cal

October 22d let's "group-up" before 10:00 AM using "Louis Mendez" as our landmark/location.

I tend to leave when the crowds mob the place after 1:00 PM. If anyone wants to wander around to shoot, or stop somewhere in Hell's Kitchen for food or drink I'm game.

Seems like "Maggie" and me have been solicited by a photog to be subjects in a "coffee table" book. Seems like more than 18 years of living in sin not being married is paying off.

I'm kind of excited. Perhaps Leica will have an advanced production AF 50 Lux in their booth. This lens is expected to be released in early 2017.

Cal

Down for some photography and lunch after the expo as well.

John,

Very cool. I think we recruited some new folk.

Lately things have been so busy. Now it seems that Maggie and I are likely to be shot by a rather big photographer as a couple. Somehow I am being sucked into the world of fashion and in the public eye.

Maggie's 54K followers seem to wonder about me. Last night the question arose about getting another photographer to shoot us. LOL. Then I got harassed because I don't do social media and because I concentrated on my photography, printing, and shooting.

Cal

For those lazy slackers who want to go to the PhotoPlusExpo, but failed to register for free before the August 31st deadline PM me and give me your e-mail.

I have a last chance free registration from Digital Silver Imaging. If I have your e-mail I can forward you the link and save you $20.00.

Hurry up you lazy bum.

Cal

Back